What's new

Tabac Stick - Homemade

Nice stick.
Nicer stove.
attachment.php

it appears that the MWF had adhered to the sides of the stick.

I think all of the suggestions for smoother sailing are good ones. It is a bit like baking. I think a thin coat of vaseline would work well, frankly I would stay away from food oils, I don't know why, I don't know if they'd spoil or not. But this is all besides the point, I think taking the stick with cap on, and running it under hot water for a while, would loosen it up. We'll figure it out.

Something to make it want to slide when you push up on it. Guys are going to think of a lot of stuff, and try all of 'em. I'm subconsciously running through all of the stuff out in the garage, none of which have any merit whatsoever. It should be something innocuous, inert, whatever the best word is. The soap traveling up the tube ought to be used up anyway before any of the lubricant would have a chance to harden and start working against the user.

Wouldn't it have been much easier to buy a Tabac stick?

I picked up a few sticks in Amsterdam but couldn't find the bowls so I grated a stick into a bowl in the time honoured tradition!

Gareth

I think all of the suggestions for smoother sailing are good ones. It is a bit like baking. I think a thin coat of vaseline would work well, frankly I would stay away from food oils, I don't know why, I don't know if they'd spoil or not. But this is all besides the point, I think taking the stick with cap on, and running it under hot water for a while, would loosen it up. We'll figure it out.

How about lining the tube with with parchment paper. Go through the process, let it cool down and then peel the parchment paper away and put it back into the tube.

When the missus is cooking short bread cookies, she insists that you have to put parchment paper down on the cookie sheet, so it doesn't stick.

I haven't done this, but just throwing out an idea.

I will be looking to try something like this at some point, because Tabac is a great soap.

Rav.

Thanks Darjeeling, but I only kinda sorta did it...

I used a marker to tamp it down when I was putting the flakes in. Not a big deal, tamp and spin, tamp and spin, the marker fit right into the space between the screw and the walls.

HOWEVER. When I tried to actually use the twister, it appears that the MWF had adhered to the sides of the stick. Perhaps I tamped too well? Anyway...it broke. I had to cut the bottom out and push with my thumbs...PUSH HARD. That fat really stuck to the walls...I had to put a bottle into the hole and bear down with my whole upper body. SOOOO...not a total success.

But the soap was great, works fantastically as a stick, and in the future I will think about how to prevent the adhesion problem...

I'm assuming that's a MB stick container. The soap sticking to the side happened to me when I was melting down some glycerin soaps into the container as well, and I broke the first container as well when I tried to screw it up :frown:. What I did. on later attempts, was put the entire thing in the fridge for a couple hours. The cold made everything contract a little and the soap released off the sides. Not sure if you'll get the same results with a milled soap, but its worth a try.

When I tried to actually use the twister, it appears that the MWF had adhered to the sides of the stick. Perhaps I tamped too well? Anyway...it broke. I had to cut the bottom out and push with my thumbs...PUSH HARD. That fat really stuck to the walls...

PROBLEM SOLVED. I too experienced this binding effect. So I took a hairdryer to the stick. Cap on. I heated it up evenly, about 20 seconds, then a fifth of turn, till, the hot dog was warmed up. With a normal push, the stick glided right up.

This is an excellent idea, and it doesn't matter that you can just buy a Tabac stick, but it's not as much fun as making something yourself that actually works. I'd try it for myself, but I don't want to, for Tabac. I really don't personally care for the fragrance of Tabac, and I've tried but it only gets more off-putting, but nobody can say it doesn't have wonderful shaving properties. This leaves me patiently watching and waiting for my chance to buy an Irisch Moos shaving stick. That will be it for me. I could love an Irisch Moos stick. WCS had some for sale, but last time I checked, they were out. I will be patient.

PROBLEM SOLVED. I too experienced this binding effect. So I took a hairdryer to the stick. Cap on. I heated it up evenly, about 20 seconds, then a fifth of turn, till, the hot dog was warmed up. With a normal push, the stick glided right up.

What did you use for the container? I don't think that I heard it mentioned in a post anywhere?

Thanks,

Rav.

This I will try. Well done, sir.
Well done, I say!

I made a tabac stick myself this morning, and when I went to post some pics I saw this thread- so, I'll just post here!

Obviously I'm taking exception to the notion that the twist-up type tube cannot be used- seems to have worked fine for me... (although I haven't used the thing yet so I don't know how this contraption will "behave" when used...)

I simply used a spoon to dig out the remaining 50% of a puck I"ve been using, rolled the soap into a basic cylinder shape, and crammed it into a spent MB tube without much regard to the stick. Then, I pressed quite hard for a while with my thumb all over the top and here are my results. The malleability of the Tabac made things pretty easy. Now, if this just WORKS like it should I'll be a happy fellow. Regards to all!

Dave

Top Bottom