What's new

Tabac Soap Vs Cream?

Hey guys, I picked up a tube of Tabac shaving soap at my local german deli a while back, and decided to give it a whirl today. All I can say is WOW! BBS shave and how! My question is....do you guys think the soap is even better?
I had wanted to buy the soap but they did not have any left. Should I pull the trigger and order some from Charles?
Cheers, DJ.

Decisions, decisions... What to buy? I have the soap and not the cream. Love the soap. Great scent and feel. One of those tallowy soaps that just really are a joy to use. Now tell me more about the cream..:lol:

guenron said:
Decisions, decisions... What to buy? I have the soap and not the cream. Love the soap. Great scent and feel. One of those tallowy soaps that just really are a joy to use. Now tell me more about the cream..:lol:
Hey Ron, yes the scent is nice, in an old school Old Spice kind of way. I find find the lather nice, but it is not huge in the way of volume, but what is huge is the slickness factor! I would assume the soap is as slick ,or more so.
Cheers, DJ.

I have both the cream and the soap. Many feel the soap is better. The soap is of the quality of T&H or Joris or better. The cream is just as good BUT it takes more product to produce the quality of lather of a Trumpers. It's not much more but you do need a tad more. Also you can use less water. IMHO they are both fine products. The cream has the same scent as the soap.

Chris

Well I'm no expert but I have gone through one tube of the Tabac cream and bought anoter to replace it. I will always have it around because the cream's scent is like Dana's English Leather on steroids. Much richer and sweeter than EL it still evokes a fond memory of my time as a wee laddy watching my Dad shave. He always followed up with EL aftershave. It went with his chemistry so well that I have never sniffed this on anyone else(including myself)and gotten the sense of warm leather that it exuded on him. A real treat for my memory.

The cream produces a lather that is not as dense or creamy as the lather from the Tabac soap but it is very good. It just needs a tad more than the normal 1/4-1/2 teaspoon. I don't care, I lather away with it. If it uses it up more quickly, then so be it. I have posted in other places that this cream is WAY better than it gets credit for. This newest tube is no exception and in fact, is better than my first tube. I have also seen postings saying that the scent of hte cream is totally different than the soap. Utter hogwash. It's nearly identical but IS sweeter than the Tabac soap. The difference is minimal so if you like/dislike the Tabac hard soap scent you'll know what to expect with the cream. Again, YMMV but don't be afraid to give this one a try. Castle Forbes it isn't but it is a good cream. There endeth the sermon.

Regards, Todd

EL Alamein said:
I have both the cream and the soap. Many feel the soap is better. The soap is of the quality of T&H or Joris or better. The cream is just as good BUT it takes more product to produce the quality of lather of a Trumpers. It's not much more but you do need a tad more. Also you can use less water. IMHO they are both fine products. The cream has the same scent as the soap.

Chris
Good information..

Phog Allen said:
Well I'm no expert but I have gone through one tube of the Tabac cream and bought anoter to replace it. I will always have it around because the cream's scent is like Dana's English Leather on steroids. Much richer and sweeter than EL it still evokes a fond memory of my time as a wee laddy watching my Dad shave. He always followed up with EL aftershave. It went with his chemistry so well that I have never sniffed this on anyone else(including myself)and gotten the sense of warm leather that it exuded on him. A real treat for my memory.

The cream produces a lather that is not as dense or creamy as the lather from the Tabac soap but it is very good. It just needs a tad more than the normal 1/4-1/2 teaspoon. I don't care, I lather away with it. If it uses it up more quickly, then so be it. I have posted in other places that this cream is WAY better than it gets credit for. This newest tube is no exception and in fact, is better than my first tube. I have also seen postings saying that the scent of hte cream is totally different than the soap. Utter hogwash. It's nearly identical but IS sweeter than the Tabac soap. The difference is minimal so if you like/dislike the Tabac hard soap scent you'll know what to expect with the cream. Again, YMMV but don't be afraid to give this one a try. Castle Forbes it isn't but it is a good cream. There endeth the sermon.

Regards, Todd
Nothing like a bit of sweet reverie induced by shaving scents..

I've tried both and preferred the cream. It left my skin feeling great. Unfortunately I couldn't stand the Tabac scent and gave both away.

Evening DJ,

I have, use, and like both the cream and soap. The scents are the same with the cream being prehaps a bit brighter but the soap scent is somewhat richer. If one likes the scent, (I do), then one could be pleased with either. I also had the cologne but my teenage son is discovering such things and somehow the bottle has migrated to his bath area.

I prefer the soap but I prefer soaps generally.

Regards,
Squire

Just recently got a tub of Tabac soap from QED and I really love the rich, creamy lather it produces, however I am kind of neutral on the scent. I am primarily a cream guy but since discovering the Tabac soap, I am now looking for soaps that perform like the Tabac. Any suggestions? :confused:

Ron, you mentioned that Tabac was one of those "Tallowy" soaps. How then would you compare it to Mitchell's or Kent's Wool Fat Soap? I have considered the Mitchell's as a possible "next buy." :rolleyes:

Hi Ron. Well, I'm not the other Ron but I'll give it a go. I have been using the Tabac hard soap for almost a year now and absolutely love it. Including the scent. I realise that that this scent is usually a like it or don't like thing with most guys. The soap is scented almost exactly the same as the cream but not quite as sweet maybe? As for performance, the Tabac is just about the ne plus ultra of hard soaps. That may pain our anglophiles(I'm really one too but don't like deluding myself into snobbishly missing out on great stuff like this Teutonic soap)but it's true. The Tabac kicks arse. I can relate to you two or three hard soaps I've tried recently that are very good. T&H Luxury, Provence Sante(it has a VERY strong, perfumey scent so keep that in mind), and the Mitchel's Woolfat aka Kent shave soap. I have the Kent version. To be frank, I almost chucked it after the second use. It was just making bubble bath. Then a light went on and I started filling the wooden bowl with very hott tap water and letting it soften the cake for a few minutes whilst I prepped my face. That's the ticket! The Kent makes a slightly different lather than the creamy Tabac. It's more of a cotton-y, frothy lather but that lanolin component really leaves your face feeling great. I heartily recommend all these. Check out Pre de Provence and Institut Karite for two more utlra comforting lathers.

Regards, Todd

If you are considering Kent shave soap (which I recommend, it is my favourite soap, but you have to lather it right - work the soap more with the brush than usual) buy it from the Kentbrushes store on ebay. It is literally a steal compared to the price they want for Mitchell's.

I always loved Tabac soap, the cream gave me a slight irritation, although the lather is rich and slick. The soap has that nice, conservative Tabac scent, lathers beautifully, and leaves my skin smooth and very comfortable.

Jeff

I have the stick and cream.
The stick lathers better than the cream. Thick and dense. You'll need more cream to get the density anywhere near the stick's.
The cream has a softer scent than the stick. Can't stand the scent of a new stick but it mellows down after a few weeks of exposure to air.

I too have the stick and the cream and I agree with merkur59's call on the lathering characteristics of the two forms. I do not have the soap in the jar, but just might have to get it too. I really like the two forms that I have.

Top Bottom