What's new

Tabac Soap - Scent

has anyone dropped a few drops of their favorite aftershave on top of tabac before use? i've heard of doing this with other soaps, so i'm curious about using it on tabac.

wow... thread dormant since april... way to bring it back up! the tabac debate rages on! :tongue_sm

proxy.php

I've had the very same experience as you. I think two things happen. One, the scent does "tone down" after leaving the container open for a few days. And two, after awhile you lose some sensitivity to the unique scent. I used it continuously for a few weeks and thought the scent had gone completely. But after a hiatus, I used it again the other day and found I was right back to where I was originally.

I have been using Irish Moos lately and it really is an improvement. Smells great and lathers just as well as the Tabac.

I love the Tabac scent and one of the most disappointing things about this soap is the ‘mellowing’ of the scent over time!

I found that when I first removed that beautiful golden seal I caught tobacco mixed with freshly-cut-flowers, but now that it’s been exposed to air (well, loosely covered with the brown lid), I’ve found that the tobacco fragrance (in particular) has really dialled down.

The fresh cut flowers are still there though, but, regrettably, the vividness is not what it once was.

These days I’m getting more pepper and spices and an earthy undertone from this soap, along with the flowers and hints of tobacco. I still like it but that initial hit was absolutely sublime, and I’m so sad it’s lost it’s original zing!

RE: Irish Moos scent.

I have read that this smells like Irish Spring soap. To me that is the worst smelling soap I have ever encountered. Massivly overpowering scent that smells like it should be sitting in a urinal on top of a little plastic mesh that says "Sanitized by Joe's Public Restroom Cleaning Service".

Truth: We cut up bars of Irish Spring soap and hang them in our yard next to shrubs, trees, etc. that the deer like to eat. It has been 100% effective in keeping the deer away!

I read somewhere that the ability to detect (or not) certain scents is a genetic thing. Perhaps those of us who like the scent of Tabac will dislike the Irish Moos scent and vice versa. If so, Maurer+Wirtz has things covered pretty well. I do note that Tabac seems to be a lot more commonly sold than Irish Moos.

The artificial lavender scent probably keeps the deer away.

The three most polarizing scents may be: Tabac, Akro and (of course) the Veg! Love them or leave them!

The three most polarizing scents may be: Tabac, Akro and (of course) the Veg! Love them or leave them!

Love Tabac. I really don’t understand how people get ‘old folks home’ or ‘Grandma’s purse’ out of it. Even when the tobacco was super present, it smelt fresh and not really ‘ashy’. Sure it is also floral, but so are many male oriented scents. How I wish the original scent stayed longer though!

I love the Tabac scent and one of the most disappointing things about this soap is the ‘mellowing’ of the scent over time!

I found that when I first removed that beautiful golden seal I caught tobacco mixed with freshly-cut-flowers, but now that it’s been exposed to air (well, loosely covered with the brown lid), I’ve found that the tobacco fragrance (in particular) has really dialled down.

For your next one, just use cheese grater and an empty container if you happen to have one.
I grated mine into old B&M tub, and it's as good as the first day.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I, and more importantly my wife, love Tabac and Lilac Vegetal. :)

Have a stick of Arko but have not yet tried it.

With Tabac, we go all in: Soap, Balm, Aftershave and Cologne. Then there's the bath soap and hair products. Really like Tabac. :)

For your next one, just use cheese grater and an empty container if you happen to have one.
I grated mine into old B&M tub, and it's as good as the first day.

I'll remember this for when I manage to finish the puck three years down the track :)

(Probably more than three years with all my other creams and soaps!)

The fresh cut flowers are still there though, but, regrettably, the vividness is not what it once was.

These days I’m getting more pepper and spices and an earthy undertone from this soap, along with the flowers and hints of tobacco. I still like it but that initial hit was absolutely sublime, and I’m so sad it’s lost it’s original zing!

There must be some reward for reviving a ten year old Tabac thread. Bravo!

I thought the scent was ok, then turned out I really like it. Stuck with it because it works so well and lasts forever. Arko is an odd smell, so is Williams lol.

I like Tabak. The scent to me is very pleasant. It may not be my favorite but it is nice enough and it lathers wonderfully.

I have heard that Fine uses the same soap formula and it also lathers wonderfully. I really love Fine Platinum.

Top Bottom