What's new

Tabac Soap - Scent

I have read many of the glowing reviews on the scent of the Tabac shaving soap. I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with my nose.

Though I was not the biggest fan of the scent when I first used the product, I could certainly smell the signature spicy/powdery Tabac scent. After using the soap for awhile know, I can no longer detect the original scent. Now, all I can pick up is an earthy/musty (almost rotting food) type of scent - which I don't find appealing at all.

Does anyone else have the same experience?

Don't know about the rotten part, but I shaved with Tabac ONCE and even though the shave was excellent, I coudl not wait to get it off my face. One of the most unpleasant smells I have ever run across. And while I was a fireman/paramedic, I have removed bodies from creekbeds where they have been for a while....

I like Tabac for its performance. I'm not a huge fan of the scent nor do I dislike it. It is good. To me Tabac is about the lather, the slickness, the thickness and the overall efficacy.

I'm almost finished with my sample, and I'm glad it is almost done. The performance is great, but the smell isn't so great. Nothing "rotten" about it, just unpleasant. I'm just too picky about what I slather right under my nose. I'd rather use another soap and superlather with a cream than put up with the smell.

I've had the very same experience as you. I think two things happen. One, the scent does "tone down" after leaving the container open for a few days. And two, after awhile you lose some sensitivity to the unique scent. I used it continuously for a few weeks and thought the scent had gone completely. But after a hiatus, I used it again the other day and found I was right back to where I was originally.

I have been using Irish Moos lately and it really is an improvement. Smells great and lathers just as well as the Tabac.

Don't know about the rotten part, but I shaved with Tabac ONCE and even though the shave was excellent, I coudl not wait to get it off my face. One of the most unpleasant smells I have ever run across. And while I was a fireman/paramedic, I have removed bodies from creekbeds where they have been for a while....

Huh, smelled like an old folks home to me. Lather was nice enough, but no lather can overcome that kind of scent for me.

Love the performance, love the sent!! Mine has mellowed quite a bit over time scent wise..

Nothing in the way of rotting / musty odors though..

proxy.php

I'm not nuts about the scent but it doesn't bother me quite as much now as it used to. (Talk about glowing praise. :001_rolle) Actually I've grown to kind of like the way it smells. But man, the stuff does give a great shave.

My sample did the same. It started out with somewhat of a sweetness, then after about a week, changed into what I can only describe as something like a cigar room. As others have said, great lather, but I'm not sure about the fragrance.

I've found TOBS to be equal in lather & lube, but much better on the nose.

Now, all I can pick up is an earthy/musty (almost rotting food) type of scent - which I don't find appealing at all.
I know what you mean, but it's not rotting food. You probably smell the moss extracts better which for obvious reasons smell earthy and musty.

You might be interested in the Irisch Moos shaving soap (in stick form) from the same producer. Same soap, but to some a far better fragrance. (Still, it's a 'moos', so it does have a few green-mossy tones---go figure :).)

RE: Irish Moos scent.

I have read that this smells like Irish Spring soap. To me that is the worst smelling soap I have ever encountered. Massivly overpowering scent that smells like it should be sitting in a urinal on top of a little plastic mesh that says "Sanitized by Joe's Public Restroom Cleaning Service".

Truth: We cut up bars of Irish Spring soap and hang them in our yard next to shrubs, trees, etc. that the deer like to eat. It has been 100% effective in keeping the deer away!

I read somewhere that the ability to detect (or not) certain scents is a genetic thing. Perhaps those of us who like the scent of Tabac will dislike the Irish Moos scent and vice versa. If so, Maurer+Wirtz has things covered pretty well. I do note that Tabac seems to be a lot more commonly sold than Irish Moos.

RE: Irish Moos scent.

I have read that this smells like Irish Spring soap. To me that is the worst smelling soap I have ever encountered.

Man, I am SO with you on that one. I have a stick of Irisch Moos coming to me. If it smells anything like Irish Spring it's going right on the B/S/T.

(...but don't worry. I'll give you a great price. :biggrin:)

I really like the soap - great lather!
I really don't like the scent. There were so many glowing reviews of this soap and the AS that when I ran across the Tabac EDT, I picked it up. It is now collecting dust. I learned my lesson - always get a decant if possible, I'm just glad the EDT was inexpensive.

The good thing is that the performance of the soap is really good and the scent mellows so that I can actually use it. I will be buying another puck once I go through this one, but it's not due to the scent! :wink:

Also remember that AS/Colognes really are a YMMV item as body chemistry plays a part in the way it smells on you. So, who knows, Tabac might work for you.

Last edited:
I really like the soap - great lather!
I really don't like the scent. There were so many glowing reviews of this soap and the AS that when I ran across the Tabac EDT, I picked it up. It is now collecting dust. I learned my lesson - always get a decant if possible, I'm just glad the EDT was inexpensive.

The good thing is that the performance of the soap is really good and the scent mellows so that I can actually use it. I will be buying another puck once I go through this one, but it's not due to the scent! :wink:

Also remember that AS/Colognes really are a YMMV item as body chemistry plays a part in the way it smells on you. So, who knows, Tabac might work for you.

How much do you want for the EDT?
I can find it locally, but it's like 50+ for the bottle.

I really really want to try the soap though.

I think I paid about half that - I'll have to check. I may have used it 2 times max with one spray each use.

$50 seems quite high for the EDT.

Last edited:
I think it's just subjective. I really like the smell--it's earthy. But I could definitely see not being a fan! The camp seems to be somewhat divided on the smell of this product, or so my experience leads me to believe.

It just occurred to me that my used Tabac smells a little like wood smoke when I apply the lather... I wouldn't call it rancid, but maybe a little sour and earthy. Could this be the old Tabac smell people are trying to recall?

Top Bottom