What's new

Tabac shave soap

First time I tried Tabac, the strong floral scent really surprised me: such an odd choice for man-soap. It does die down though to something much more subtle. Great soap. I'd never be without a couple of sticks of Tabac and Arko.

I use Tabac stick in my rotation.
It is superb, leaves the face feeling very soft post shave . The scent is a bit old fashioned I must admit.!

Last edited:
Have any of you used Tabac in HARD water. I have no other choice as that is all we have. It left horrible soap rings in the sink and gunked up my brush. Operator problem or just hard water problem?

I am looking to limit to three soaps. And only three.

-Arko
-Stirling Ramblin Man

And the last spot is open. Gotta try Tabac. One of the only "desert island" soaps I have not tried.

Right now that last spot would be filled by TOBS (cream) of some scent or T and H 1805.

Tabac is great. I have never had a bad shave with it. It's impossible to mess up the lather with it. I still have the same puck from 2012. I might need to buy another one though just so I can have one on standby.

Thanks!! I got out my old Tabac puck that I haven't used for quite a few years, and it wasn't near as bad in the hard water as I remembered, plus, I was amazed at how much better my shave was. I have been using a glycerine based soap for a long time, and couldn't believe the difference. Going back to Tabac for sure. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them!

Have any of you used Tabac in HARD water. I have no other choice as that is all we have. It left horrible soap rings in the sink and gunked up my brush. Operator problem or just hard water problem?
Oh, yes, the water here at the tail end of the Mississippi is pretty much as hard as you'd expect. Using Tabac with the tap water has never gunked up my brush, and the soap scum is easy enough to wipe away as I clean up. But I've been dissolving a teaspoon or two of baking soda into the shave water. It makes the water much more slippery.

Just don't let it turn to mush with using too much water. Do not EVER bloom it and don't rinse it. If it gets saturated with water you can throw it away. Got ot discard 2 pucks because of that, now I use it in stick
Good to know that soap can get saturated with water. I think I understand the rinsing part: after use, do not take the puck out of the container to clean it under running water, right?
But what exactly is 'bloom it'?

I have hard water and can’t remember having that issue, got some tabac I havnt used in ages, will give it a crack tomorrow and see

Tabac rules.
Unfortunately its scent is way milder than it used to be for us long time users (same thing applies to the AS).
Sad that the metrosexuality of our times changed the Tabac classic recipe.
Same thing happened to Brut btw.

Tabac rules.
Unfortunately its scent is way milder than it used to be for us long time users (same thing applies to the AS).
Sad that the metrosexuality of our times changed the Tabac classic recipe.
Same thing happened to Brut btw.
Is it possible you aren't getting it as fresh from the factory as in years gone by? I'm in the US, and I've long known that though there are many exceptions, items imported from Europe often are not as fresh as those made in the US. One example: Comparing a local or regional microbrewery beer to a German brand of the same type, the superior freshness of the American beer can be obvious. In these days when cost cutting to the nth degree is routine, and transportation costs are high, I suspect that many goods are allowed to sit in warehouses much longer.

Is it possible you aren't getting it as fresh from the factory as in years gone by? I'm in the US, and I've long known that though there are many exceptions, items imported from Europe often are not as fresh as those made in the US. One example: Comparing a local or regional microbrewery beer to a German brand of the same type, the superior freshness of the American beer can be obvious. In these days when cost cutting to the nth degree is routine, and transportation costs are high, I suspect that many goods are allowed to sit in warehouses much longer.

I live in Germany :)
The formula has changed significantly since the 80s ,smell wise.
It is much weaker.

Top Bottom