What's new

Tabac scent

I have been wet shaving for almost 30 years, but for a reason that’s hard to articulate, always resisted trying Tabac. About a month ago, I was at Q Brothers here in Chicago, and bought a puck. I have shaved with it seven or eight times, and the performance is outstanding, but I don’t get the scent love. On this forum, the scent has been described as ”intoxicating“, ”amazing”, and “beautiful“. To me it smells like the bar soap I buy at Wal-Mart. Not bad, but definitely not as described above. I will continue to use Tabac because the performance is great, but in spite of the scent, not because of it. Is there something wrong with my old nose, or are there others that feel the way I do about the scent?

Sooo you love Tabac and can’t keep up the smell of the old ladies handbag.

That’s okay, now, get out there and give the old girl a BIG WET LIPPA KISS!

proxy.php

Some people love the scent, some people grow to tolerate the scent, some people can't stand the scent. You're not alone.

You might like La Toja stick or Speick stick. Similar performance, nicer scent. The Fine soaps are similar, though not quite as good as Tabac in performance terms, but have good scents. Also, consider Pre de Provence triple-milled soap, or Provence Sante green tea soap.

portrait-1-500x398.jpg

Last edited:
It appears the fragrance is considered rather old fashioned as many people associate it with scents they were exposed to when they were younger/young. I think especially the florals in the fragrance (I get lavender, carnation, maybe some rose?) make this connection.

The reason why you can experience many established fragrances in today's cheap products is, simply put, because these scents really nailed it in the past (60s and 70s for Tabac).

Still, it's never wrong to dislike a fragrance, for whatever reason.

I was in a drugstore not a long time ago and saw a Tabac fragrance tester. I was like "Yeah! Finally I can smell the legendary Tabac and see what are those raving reviews are all about!" Sprayed it on my wrists, smelled, went home and washed my wrists like 5 times in a row :D

It's just a dated 60's fragrance from Europe. Whether you find it pleasant or not is going to depend on what you think a fragrance should be.

Afta Fresh has a similar scent. It's green, animalic, and musky. The Tabac has more coumarin and a more aggressive presentation, however.

You are definitely not alone!!

Tabac performs!! No question!! Some love the scent, others not so much.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The scent of Tabac reminds me of visiting my grandmother in Milwaukee — her bedroom closet was filled with wonder (for a 5-year old), and I suspect my grandfather had used Tabac and that my widowed grandmother just couldn’t part with the scent. For me, it’s simply pure nostalgia and evokes very fond memories of my youth.

You love it or you hate it. Tabac is one of the classic german scents along with Pitralon, 4711 and Sir Irisch Moos. My greatgrandfather already used Tabac and this scent gives me some heartwarming childhood memories.

Grandma how do I smell like Grandpa?

Tabac, just use Tabac to smell just like Grandpa and you can’t go wrong without Tabac.

Gee... thanks for the secret Grandma.

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?

Lance: What?

Kilgore: Tabac, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.

[kneels]

Kilgore: I love the smell of Tabac in the morning. You know, one time we had a face shaved, for 12 minutes. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' stray hair. The smell, you know that old lady smell, the whole face. Smelled like..

[sniffing, pondering]

Kilgore: victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

[suddenly walks off]

1581608207514.png

Scents and our reactions to them are quite interesting. I personally love the scent of Tabac and have never smelled anything else quite like it. In isolation I get a very soft creamy and broad sweet floral with spicy subtlety. I love the matching deodorant too which is slightly different but the same recognizable Tabac formula.

But when I smell something else, like the well-loved Martin de Candre Fougère, then immediately move to the Tabac, it smells more one-dimensional and kind of old lady’s handbag-ish holding a pack of Lucky Strikes.

Ultimately, if you don’t hate the scent of Tabac, just use it. Its performance is the best of the best as far as I’m concerned.

Top Bottom