What's new

Tabac observations

I just recieved two pucks of Tabac and just got done comparing it with VDH Delux doing test lathers.

The Tabac lathers very well and with little effort but not any faster nor with any better feeling lather.

I hear that the soap gets better as you use it so I'll see. The smell is strong like I've heard from some of you.

So far I like it. Right now I am very impressed with the VDH, being so much cheaper. I do like the Tabac also.

Just my observations for first lather.

So many soaps, so little time :biggrin1:

Tbac is a triple milled soap , it will last alot longer than the VDH. In the long run VDH may not really be less expensive. Tabac will last over a year easy.

I guess I'm also overlooking the fact that the Tabac puck is almost twice as much soap. The puck is huge :w00t:

I like it. I did expect it to be more dense and hard like Williams. It feels kind of soft like VDH.

I did manage to trim it to fit my Old Spice mug. Just had to trim the shoulder on the puck and it pressed nicely onto the mug ribs :thumbup: It was just a we bit too big.

Last edited:
A new puck of Tabac has a dry and hard top, once lathered a few times, it softens up and lather should improve noticeably.

I just ordered a puck of Tabac a few days ago and waiting for it to come in. I'm really looking forward to how well it performs and the scent.

A new puck of Tabac has a dry and hard top, once lathered a few times, it softens up and lather should improve noticeably.
Never had any issues with a dry and hard top; lathers beautifully from shave 1. You are not... soaking... your puck, are you? (As in: putting water on top while you shower, towel dry, comb your hair, ... .)

I tried Tabac once but the scent was too strong for me. I gifted it to someone and stuck with a more subtle scent (Trumper's Violet)

Never had any issues with a dry and hard top; lathers beautifully from shave 1. You are not... soaking... your puck, are you? (As in: putting water on top while you shower, towel dry, comb your hair, ... .)

I soak. Works great.

I think what's happening here is VDH Deluxe is showing how really really good it is. It is in my rotation without reservations or apologies. Blends that include VDH are in my rotation as well.

VDH and Tabac are my work-horses for sure. Which is why it's so hard for me to get through and try out all of my other soaps :tongue_sm

VDH is a great value for the money paid...and true, Tabac will last over a year, but one puck of VDH has lasted me about six-months before depending upon my lathering technique and what brush I'm using.

Currently though I'm preparing to move at the end of next month so I've packed most of my shaving gear away and settled on one soap to get me by for the time being. It's been nothing but VDH for at least a month now.

Since all of you seem to be fans of VDH (I'm using currently) and Tabac (never used, want to try)...

Will a Tabac puck fit into a VDH bowl?

Top Bottom