What's new

Tabac lid. What happened?

Hello Gents,

Have you had this happen to a Tabac jar? I’m about 1/3 through the first puck, and the lid has almost split in two. The finish started coming off when I wiped the lid down after first use. I love the soap and like the jar, but this won’t work. Maybe I got a dud? Not sure if I need to replace the jar or find an alternative dish. Any nice wooden ones that would be good for Tabac? Thanks!
7B376C70-C3F1-4D4A-BCDD-465C37EDA49F.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have never seen that with a Tabac lid. If I saw one like that I would assume it had been kept on a sunny window sill in a hot climate and would wonder if the soap was damaged. Anyway, as with many other triple milled soaps, the lids are not air tight by design. In my opinion you certainly do not need to replace the jar and I would not do so. If you use it regularly then just leave it open. My MWF lids are a good fit and the red Old Spice lids fit quite well. I would just use the lid as is - it has character 👍

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow, I've been using the same bowl with lid for maybe a dozen years, 4 or 5 pucks or so, just looked & no sign of even any fatigue. I've not noticed the bowls for sale separately, maybe post a WTB for just the bowl or watch BST for someone selling off who doesn't like the soap.

Not sure what happened there...

It's been a long time since I've used Tabac in its original jar with the lid. The jar is glass, but the lid is either plastic or Bakelite. In any event, my lid never cracked that badly, or at all. I know you like the jar, but it's just a container. It doesn't instill any special magic to the original shaving soap.

You might be able to find a Tupperware lid that would fit over the original Tabac jar. Or, you could find a ramekin bowl with a lid and just move the soap to it. These, or French onion soup bowls can be purchased pretty cheaply at places like Target.

Or, as others have said, leave it as is. there will be no detrimental effect on the soap.

My lid is a hard plastic - yours appears different. I can't tell for sure, but it looks highly distressed, and the color looks bleached from possibly water, heat, sun damage, etc.

Not sure how USA warranty is but simply write an email with photo to the seller. Worst case you get nothing best case a complete new bowl with soap....

If you are handy you can glue it together some tixotropic glue and clamps could do it.

Asking a woodworker to turn one is most likely more expensive as a new bowl.

I initially too thought it was hard plastic, but it certainly hasn’t behaved as such. I bought it in December, and it’s stored under my bathroom sink. The crack is pretty sweet for character, but I expect I’ll have 2 lid parts before the puck is gone! I’ll try to contact Tabac. All else fails, I’ll just order a new jar when puck is gone.

S

Scrubby

Hello Gents,

Have you had this happen to a Tabac jar? I’m about 1/3 through the first puck, and the lid has almost split in two. The finish started coming off when I wiped the lid down after first use. I love the soap and like the jar, but this won’t work. Maybe I got a dud? Not sure if I need to replace the jar or find an alternative dish. Any nice wooden ones that would be good for Tabac? Thanks!
View attachment 1239793
I was disappointed with my plastic lid (foolishly hoping it would be wooden), but i feel it would probably survive nuclear blasts. But...... I had the cracking issue you describe on the tabac stick cap. Mentioned in in another tabac post, and I seemed to be the only one with this issue. I expected it to be excessive storage duration in a brick and mortar shop with a slow rotation.

If I look at the photo it looks like a wood polymer. If you have got a tube of tixotropic glue some wood and glue clamps it should be reasonably gluable. But the glue alone is expensive so warranty is best.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Odd looking for sure. My Tabac container and lid is probably north of 10 years old. The lid is hard plastic, unless you dropped it on hard ground, there should be nothing that would get this cracking like it is.

That lid was either:

a) not made properly i.e., some defect during its manufacture
b) exposed to lots of variation/cycles in temperature, humidity, light, etc
c) all of the above

@Doug135, I found a Tabac Razor Stand design for 3D printing.
0df55bccd6fce1fb67a3d198e12fdb84_preview_featured.jpg e6532f46ab890537edc832f06e04dac9_preview_featured.jpg
As you can see, it includes a razor and brush stand along with the Tabac lid. I plan to modify the design to only print the lid. I'll let you know how it goes. If you have a 3D printer (or know someone who does), I can email you a copy of the updated file. If you're interested, I can send you a copy of the finished product.

Edit: you could also email the original designer and ask them to make the modifications for you.

Last edited:

Somebody has to say it:

Too much pressure! :001_rolle

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Many different products use standard sizes. I have successfully found a scented candle lid fit perfectly on an old glass shaving mug. See what products around your house may fit.

True - I remember trying to replace the flimsy plastic lids on classic Old Spice mugs (kinda like Tabac's milk glass eh) and finding that the lid from a Peanut Butter Jar was an exact fit as well as the right shade of red ..

I finished the lid. I didn't have enough filament to finish the print and had to use three different colors. That's fine because this was really a prototype anyway and I just wanted to print a draft version. Props to the original designer because it is a perfect fit. If I were keeping this for myself, I might be content to hit it with a coat or two of spray paint and be done with it.

You may not be able to tell from the pics, but the design is a bit taller than an original Tabac lid and also has a small dip towards the center for the razor/brush stand. So I made another version with a flattened lid which also reduced the height. I'm all out of filament so I can't print another lid just yet, but I've ordered some more and it should arrive tomorrow. Just another distraction...

Top Bottom