What's new

Tabac is the best kept secret in shaving

I can see the complaint about the scent 20 years ago when it bucked the trend of your more traditional shave soaps. With all the artisan soaps out now and the wack scents from motor oil to fruit loops. That argument seems hollow to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tabac smell like an Old Swag when Grandma smoking cuban cigars, because you must love Tabac in your den

proxy.php

If it was called Artisan Tabac, people would be banging down the doors to get it

And it's not a secret, it's a staple for many and a classic for a reason.

While that may be true for some, it’s not true for me. I’m a big fan of high performing traditional products. I love DR Harris triple milled tallow soaps for example. I also love the smell of Aqua Velva, which I admit is kind of an odd smell. I really want to like the smell of Tabac—I just don’t.

If it was called Artisan Tabac, people would be banging down the doors to get it..

No, I really don't think so. Tabac like Proraso, Arko and Cella and some others are used a lot (but not exclusively) by shavers who don't see any point in paying more money for artisan soaps when a "perfectly good economic option" is on the table. It performs well and for many that's the end of the story - why pay more, job done.

Artisan soaps not only have performance, but they have far superior scents. And they cost more, so be prepared to pay $25 or more. Unless you are comparing Tabac to 5 or 10 truly good artisan soaps like Wholly Kaw, Grooming Dept. Eufros, SV which you have in your rotation, I'm afraid I'm not going to take your words seriously.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
If it was called Artisan Tabac, people would be banging down the doors to get it..

No, I really don't think so. Tabac like Proraso, Arko and Cella and some others are used a lot (but not exclusively) by shavers who don't see any point in paying more money for artisan soaps when a "perfectly good economic option" is on the table. It performs well and for many that's the end of the story - why pay more, job done.

Artisan soaps not only have performance, but they have far superior scents. And they cost more, so be prepared to pay $25 or more. Unless you are comparing Tabac to 5 or 10 truly good artisan soaps like Wholly Kaw, Grooming Dept. Eufros, SV which you have in your rotation, I'm afraid I'm not going to take your words seriously.
I can’t speak for @brucered , but I have GD, DG, B&M, WK, SV, Stirling ... and for my face, Tabac tops them all. Would you take me seriously?:302:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
... Tabac tops them all. ...
upload_2019-1-13_10-51-44.png

Literally! :a14:

Threads tend to go sideways/south when folks start questioning the validity of another's opinion. It's always best to accept that we each have our own views on things without resorting to ad hominems.

For me Tabac is a top soap. I love the fragrance, it has great performance (Lather, smoothness of shaving and post-shave feel).
I do understand that the fragrance is up to an individuals tastes.

I have tried several artisans, and while some are very nice for me they do not compare with Tabac.

As always YMMV, that is why there never will be the "one" great soap (cream, aftershave, razor, blade etc.)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have a mess of soaps and a few creams.
I have more of Tabac than all the others.
Somewhere around 30 pucks!
Can’t wait to finish a little jar of MdC and get back to Tabac.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Tabac smells like Clint Eastwood probably did in Dirty Harry or Chuck Norris in Delta force.

Beautiful description!!
Well done!

I was thinking more like Tuco in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!! (After he bathes)

I can’t speak for @brucered , but I have GD, DG, B&M, WK, SV, Stirling ... and for my face, Tabac tops them all. Would you take me seriously?:302:

Well, I have to take you seriously - these are my own words!

To me, though, Tabac is like the lovable villain in soaps. The rogue that gets the most column inches while the more interesting characters are passed over despite their worth.

Last edited:
Tabac is a classic because it's a very, very good formulation that produces excellent lather and shaves. Formulating shaving soap is hardly a secret, as the requirements for excellent shaving soap have been published since the 1920's when measuring fatty acids became possible. No secrets there at all, just megacorporations cheapening the formulas and modern fads like vegan soap.

The major variations in modern shaving soap are the oils/fats used to make the soap, and non-saponified additives to modify post shave feel, etc. Scent is as it has always been, very highly variable and what smells nice to one person can literally gag another. Modern "artisan" soaps to my nose are often grossly over-scented, to the point where users complain of skin irritation. This follows the trend of higher and higher scent loading in all personal care products, something I cannot stand. I don't know if modern living kills olfactory nerves or people are following the trend and burning theirs out, but I don't want to stink of anything.

So I stick with the old standards or make my own where I can control the scent level to what a prefer (mostly not perceptible after use). I evaluate shaving soap on how it shaves, scent is a completely different issue, and for me, the less the better!

Top Bottom