What's new

Tabac is the best kept secret in shaving

I would suggest that if you drink RO water you make sure you get minerals/elecrolytes from something. Since RO has none of those, you strip them from your body when you drink RO - they don't come in with the RO, and they go out with urine and perspiration.
Off topic but RO water is not entirely stripped of minerals. A feeder tube bypasses main membrane filter (but carrying water filtered via 2-3 types of different filters) and joins the supply line; thus ensuring there is clean and filtered mineral rich water in your glass. There is also an adjuster which regulates how much ‘clean’ water you want out of main RO membrane. I set mine at around 180 TDS in addition to a small dia bypass tube.

Last edited:
Off topic but RO water is not entirely stripped of minerals. A feeder tube bypasses main membrane filter (but carrying water filtered via 2-3 types of different filters) and joins the supply line; thus ensuring there is clean and filtered mineral rich water in your glass. There is also an adjuster which regulates how much ‘clean’ water you want out of main RO membrane. I set mine at around 180 TDS in addition to a small dia bypass tube.

This is different from reverse osmosis with which I am familiar - industrial use. That normally does not have the bypass, and is used to generate very high purity water. It sounds like the home RO is "RO light."

And if there's an old woman in the house, she will say it reminds her of a perfume she wears...

You and @Atlantic59 aren't entirely wrong, but, I still kinda like the scent.

Think of it as a fresh, clean gym clothes stored inside of a gym bag that's a bit "stale" smelling, and somehow together, this just works, fresh, yet a bit weird smelling at the same time. :D :D :D

Not to ignore it performs well, very well actually.

Think of it as a fresh, clean gym clothes stored inside of a gym bag that's a bit "stale" smelling, and somehow together, this just works, fresh, yet a bit weird smelling at the same time.
I've heard some bizarre interpretations of Tabac's scent, but yours really takes the biscuit!

You and @Atlantic59 aren't entirely wrong, but, I still kinda like the scent.

Think of it as a fresh, clean gym clothes stored inside of a gym bag that's a bit "stale" smelling, and somehow together, this just works, fresh, yet a bit weird smelling at the same time. :D :D :D

Not to ignore it performs well, very well actually.

It's like if Pinaud Clubman and Aramis had a bastard child. That's exactly what Tabac smells like. It's a 60's powerhouse fougere, in a similar style to Brut. There's actually no tobacco in this fragrance, the basenotes are similar to any other powerhouse fougere. But it is a bit earthy, dirty, or stenchy, and my guess that's where the association comes from.

It's like if Pinaud Clubman and Aramis had a bastard child. That's exactly what Tabac smells like. It's a 60's powerhouse fougere, in a similar style to Brut. There's actually no tobacco in this fragrance, the basenotes are similar to any other powerhouse fougere. But it is a bit earthy, dirty, or stenchy, and my guess that's where the association comes from.

I've never smelled Tabac. Now, I'm imagining potting soil. I'll be able to buy some in about eight years. The anticipation is killing me.

I've never smelled Tabac. Now, I'm imagining potting soil. I'll be able to buy some in about eight years. The anticipation is killing me.

Potting soil is indeed an apt description. Imagine a barbershop scent like Clubman + potting soil, and you have Tabac.

Merging all these subjective impressions, we have the smell of an old woman's gym bag with her old perfume in one side pocket, cigarettes in the other, with some stale hankies and fresh gym clothes inside. Oh, and some gardening supplies. Interesting...:ohmy:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Purchased a B&M Christmas soap for a nephew who is a new DE shaver.

But he is ALSO getting a Tabac bowl, since this is an essential accoutrement - in my opinion!

AA

I've heard some bizarre interpretations of Tabac's scent, but yours really takes the biscuit!

Ha ha, thanks, I mean, there's no denying it's a bit "different" but also it does have something "fresh" somewhere in that weird mix.

Scents are of course highly subjective thing, plenty of universally praised scents that I didn't like.
Funny enough that my wife actually loves this scent, that was a bit unexpected I must admit.

All the talk in this thread made me reach for Tabac again this morning (tub was surrounded by MDC, Castle Forbes, T&H, Speick, MWF and few others, all "well regarded" soaps and creams. And once again, I didn't regret my choice.

For me, this truly is a great soap. I can see people with dry skin desiring a bit more moisturizing soap for post shave feel, but for me it works really well.

8 Years ?? (I'm assuming you have "that much" in stock right now) ??

Still, aren't you at least a bit curious :D :D ?? (besides it's not that expensive)

Last edited:
Tabac !! The soap puck is same scent profile as that of EDC. Moving, warm and intoxicating. Tabac soap is always in my rotation but in winters it impart certain connotation and I am reminded of day starting with bath when men used a soap and not shower gels, shaved with Tabac soap and slapped some Tabac EDC and step out on street with a snow capped mountain in background with sharp winter breeze on face. A walk to the nearest gentleman club, a newspaper unfurling, crinkling fireplace and pipe tobacco smell mingling with fresh brew coffee. Men gave way to ladies first and yet oblivious to political correct discussions.

A shave with Tabac soap every morning in winters is all that to me.

8 Years ?? (I'm assuming you have "that much" in stock right now) ??

Still, aren't you at least a bit curious :D :D ?? (besides it's not that expensive)

I'm 195 shaves into the Williams Mug Soap Cal Ripkin Challenge. That's 2,682 shaves in a row without using another soap. I figure with skipped days, it will take about 8 more years. Of course, I'm curious, but I won't try Tabac.

1574873680609.png

I'm 195 shaves into the Williams Mug Soap Cal Ripkin Challenge. That's 2,682 shaves in a row without using another soap.

As someone who is fairly disciplined, "suffers" long hours working out and in general exercise restraint in many other areas of life, and as open minded as they come... I have to (with all due respect of course) say, that's just crazy... Impressive, but, crazy LOL :D

Life's too short for 8 years with one shaving soap (unless there's something like big monetary reward at the end of it).

It's such a simple and fairly inexpensive life pleasure, and we're in trully golden age for wet shaving products, seems like "unnecessary" (granted "first world problems") suffering to me. :D :D :D

As someone who is fairly disciplined, "suffers" long hours working out and in general exercise restraint in many other areas of life, and as open minded as they come... I have to (with all due respect of course) say, that's just crazy... Impressive, but, crazy LOL :D

Life's too short for 8 years with one shaving soap (unless there's something like big monetary reward at the end of it).

It's such a simple and fairly inexpensive life pleasure, and we're in trully golden age for wet shaving products, seems like "unnecessary" (granted "first world problems") suffering to me. :D :D :D

+1

He said it politely. The challenge is crazy.

Crazy part is using only Williams soap long term, not so much the 8 years part of the challenge. LOL :D

Clearly I'm not a big fan of Williams, but, what do I know, these things are very subjective, "one man's trash....".

Now, back on thread topic. You should just go ahead and try Tabac, nobody will ever know - we won't tell, I promise.
The only downside could be, you don't go back to Williams again, so, really, no downside at all. :D

Crazy part is using only Williams soap long term, not so much the 8 years part of the challenge. LOL :D

Clearly I'm not a big fan of Williams, but, what do I know, these things are very subjective, "one man's trash....".

Now, back on thread topic. You should just go ahead and try Tabac, nobody will ever know - we won't tell, I promise.
The only downside could be, you don't go back to Williams again, so, really, no downside at all. :D

I don't know why I should take advice from someone who is not a big fan of Williams. As you say, "One man's trash is another man's outback pizza."

I don't know why I should take advice from someone who is not a big fan of Williams. As you say, "One man's trash is another man's outback pizza."

Ha ha, fair enough, not much I can say to that. :D

We don't agree on Williams, but chances are we probably would on Tabac. ;)
Unique scent, lathers like crazy, glides and protects really well, what's not to like.

Top Bottom