What's new

Tabac is the best kept secret in shaving

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
To me, it's "grandma's purse". Smells of leather, tobacco and maybe a hint of something floral. I find it quite nice. La Toja smells very similar to me.

Gary, I'll PIF you a puck or stick of it in 8 years.

Don't go by your first impression. When I first opened it, my impression was "Urinal puck". One of the ingredients is Citronella and I think that was the culprit. Growing up, we'd frequently use Citronella candles outdoors to keep bugs away and I always found the smell off-putting. I had half a mind to toss it.

The good news is that this aspect of the soap dissipates. As I was missing the "applicator" for the stick, I grated it into a bowl. After a few shaves, the off-scent was gone and the remaining soap has a nice clean smell. I'm not sure if it was just a matter of airing out, reacting with water, or whatever but the scent is quite pleasant now. I've been using it regularly and it has replaced DR Harris as my customary shaving soap.

I think you just got used to the scent...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bittersweet day today. The bitter part? This is all that remains of my Tabac shave stick after 116 shaves:

ERM_1765
by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

When the rim of the plastic base started to poke through I switched to loading the brush from the stick rather than going direct to my face. If I had continued with this frugal method I could probably have made it to 120 shaves, but this morning I binged, scooping all the remaining soap out of the base and using it in one glorious gross-out. You know the logo on Arko sticks with the guy with that ridiculous lather beard? That was me. And then.. it was all gone.

Moving swiftly on to the "sweet" part - here's the full container I found for the same price as the refill alone on eBay during Tabactober!

ERM_1777
by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

Tomorrow the new stick will have its first use, but before that I'll be holding a short but moving ceremony by the purple plastic & glass recycling bin in our back yard, to say goodbye to the stick that was.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Tabac stick has the advantage of being twice as strong smelling, as the screw lid seems air tight. The bowl, once the gold foil is removed can delight an adjoining room for days, but the scent eventually fades.

AA

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

This stuff grows on you. Like many I have a LOT of soaps, so I don't use the same soap more than once in a week, usually less. I just finished 3 consecutive days with Tabac and the AS. I may have a problem. There should be a warning on the label. I wonder why nobody mentions Tabac here?

Fortunately there are a lot of great products out there if the Tabac scent isn't one's cup of tea. I think it goes back to the '50s, and may just be outdated in relation to modern tastes. I enjoy it myself, and coupled with the great performance of the soap it gives me a great shave.

Fortunately there are a lot of great products out there if the Tabac scent isn't one's cup of tea. I think it goes back to the '50s, and may just be outdated in relation to modern tastes. I enjoy it myself, and coupled with the great performance of the soap it gives me a great shave.
The 20s are the new 50s :001_cool:

Well, last night I finished my first tub of Tabac! Actually, it was the first time I’ve finished any soap (I’ve finished a couple tubes of shaving cream, but they go much quicker!). I’ve pretty much been 3017ing Tabac since I got it on August 17th, so almost 6 months to the day. It’s such a fantastic soap that I have a new tub waiting for my shave tonight!

Enjoy your shaves!

I started wet shaving in 2008 when Tabac (and MWF) were the two most heralded soaps on this board.

There was a scare at one point where some though it was going out of production (2009 IIRC) and I bought six pucks. They will likely last me the rest of my life.

FWIW, not only is it my favorite soap on performance, its also my favorite scent in wet shaving.

Top Bottom