What's new

Tabac is insanely long lasting!

I am about to use my refill of Tabac I bought in May of 2018, in the bowl I bought in late March 2016. Yes that long. I have tried a few soaps recently , and maybe three I have away in the past. I always prefer Tabac so far , especially with straights. I now have a bowl of Stirling I really like and MWF and Williams to try as well. Just restating what others have said in the past and sharing my experience.

I am about to use my refill of Tabac I bought in May of 2018, in the bowl I bought in late March 2016. Yes that long. I have tried a few soaps recently , and maybe three I have away in the past. I always prefer Tabac so far , especially with straights. I now have a bowl of Stirling I really like and MWF and Williams to try as well. Just restating what others have said in the past and sharing my experience.
Amazing, can you estimate how many shaves you were able to get from that puck? I'm always interested in this kind of info.

I can't even imagine how many shaves are in one puck of Tabac. I've had a puck for what seems like forever, though I admit I don't use it as often as I should.

Looking at other threads in here I see people getting anything from 180-300+ shaves from a puck. I can't even estimate how many I have on mine, but I've had it for years.

I used a puck of Tabac daily until it ran out a few years ago. Got about 120 shaves from it. What happened is that I closed the tub immediately after shaving, and within a month the top eight-inch or so got saturated with water and thus became much softer. Once that happened, I was consistently overloading like crazy without realizing it.

I used a puck of Tabac daily until it ran out a few years ago. Got about 120 shaves from it. What happened is that I closed the tub immediately after shaving, and within a month the top eight-inch or so got saturated with water and thus became much softer. Once that happened, I was consistently overloading like crazy without realizing it.

I've started splitting pucks in half for thickness. If I use a whole puck (because I soak the brush on the soap) it dries out a bit and lasts forever - it becomes white and looses a little of its greatness, not much but a little.
Half a puck lasts longer than most other pucks for me.

Amazing, can you estimate how many shaves you were able to get from that puck? I'm always interested in this kind of info.
I shave between 1 and 4 times a week. Mostly 2 pass with straights. All the other soaps I used maybe 20 shaves per bowl. Lately (the last year)has been 3 pass shaves. De/se with some head shaves thrown in lol. Sorry not to accurate

I keep a shave journal that records all of my shaving info. I have been keeping the journal for 1,472 days! The jar of Tabac I am currently using I started it on 6/18/18.

Shaving four times a week, it will last me pretty much exactly a year. In the beginning for the first couple of months you can hardly se anything disappears, but then it goes a bit faster. Maybe I am overloading also like I read in this thread due to it softens up a bit from constantly adding water. A puck a year is really cheap I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my Tabac shave stick so it's good to hear it's a long lasting soap. I also hear that it's insanely slick so I can't wait to try it out.

125gm / 285 shaves = 0.44 gm/shave

That's pretty impressive.

I am used to seeing 0.50 to 0.70 for triple-milled soaps.

At $9.25 per puck from the UK, the cost is
9.25/285 = 3.25 cents per shave

This info has been recorded in the soap nerd database.
:lol1:

That's cheap. In Australia just the soap refill is $24.99.

I bought a puck of Tabac just before Christmas, pressed it into a bowl, used it in a 4 soap rotation and haven't noticed much of a change in what I started with. Love the lather and speed it lathers and the scent is great. Like Tabac better than Dr Harris Marlborough that I bought along with it. I will be buying another puck of Tabac if it ever gets low in the bowl.

Great thread!

To me the point is that a puck of Tabac provides a pile of great shaves at very minimal cost/shave! Great value for sure (so long as you like the scent)! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom