What's new

Tabac is insanely long lasting!

My Tabac jar is still half at least half full. While not necessarily daily, it seems regular usage, and it's been going strong since sometime in 2017.....possibly 2016. I also have their splash, and Balm, for the full all day long scent of Tabac! - My wife also likes the scent of Tabac, so it's a win-win.

Hmm, now I need to set it out for tomorrow morning, as it hasn't seen any usage in about a month. - Started two weeks before Christmas with the Christmas Eve by Stirling, and used that through the end of the year, and have been using some recent acquisitions the past couple of weeks. Tabac it is for few days.

I bought my stick of Tabac over 2.5 years ago and I must have used it least 50 times for 3-4 passes at a time and the stick has gone down a bit, but not much.

It's so easy to buy a shaving stick.

Finishing a shaving stick, is a different issue altogether!

I got enough lather for roughly 100 2-Pass + Touchup shaves from one puck of Tabac. I was totally overloading it for at least 50 of those shaves in the early days though. With my current method, I anticipate a solid 150 uses from a fresh puck which comes out under less than one U.S. dime per shave. Great stuff. Lasts forever, easy to load, slippery, classy, etc, ad infinitum.

I used a puck of Tabac daily until it ran out a few years ago. Got about 120 shaves from it. What happened is that I closed the tub immediately after shaving, and within a month the top eight-inch or so got saturated with water and thus became much softer. Once that happened, I was consistently overloading like crazy without realizing it.
Did you notice any performance drop when that happened? That happened to me when my puck got soaked trough and trough, I could puch my finger in to the bottom of the bowl and I could not get a slick lather to kill myself

I don't recall a drop-off in performance, but it was a few years ago. I'll have to take notes when my 3017 gets around to the puck that replaced the first one.

No drop here, used it this morning, and my Tabac bowl (original puck) still makes nice thick, and slick lather. I don't bloom the puck, and squeeze most of the water out of the brush before loading. - I usually face lather, and simply load the damp brush. (I also rise, drain, and pat dry my puck immediately after loading, even before I lather my face, so maybe that's the difference).

I typically use my 30mm synthetic banded badger (cheap knot from Virgina's eBay/Amazon store), mounted in a 3D Printed handle I made, so nothing special, just it's bulb shape at 30mm fits the bowl better than my Fan shaped Tuxedo).

Did you notice any performance drop when that happened? That happened to me when my puck got soaked trough and trough, I could puch my finger in to the bottom of the bowl and I could not get a slick lather to kill myself

I had the same issue with a puck of Arko once, where it had got oversoaked and turned into mush (from the bottom of the puck first) and I couldn't get a lather with it however hard I tried.

I find it's fine until I get a hole in the bottom. From then on it can be soft slimy mush. The last puck I just discarded the last bit. A refill doesn't fit the porcelain dish properly so water can get down the sides and sit under the soap. I now turn it upside down to drain for a few mins while cleaning up. This new one doesn't have a lot of scent at all. Probably been in storage for a while. Nowt wrong with it though.

I only got 92 shaves from my last puck of Tabac and I thought that was great. I see how many some of you guys are getting and I realize I am a soap hog. Most of those shaves were with my densest badgers and they are soap hogs just like me. However, since I bought about a half dozen pucks when they were on clearance at a place for $8 in the jar, I think my cost per shave is still about as inexpensive as I could get. I only got 122 shaves of my last container of MdC so that probably is an indicator of my loading habits. I really, really like Tabac but I have a ton of soft soaps to use up before they go bad before opening another Tabac. I am compulsive, obsessive about getting a BBS everyday and on many days have paid the price to achieve that goal. I have pretty coarse whiskers and always needed 4 passes to get BBS. Over the last two years I went to a Timeless OC .95 and found that with the sharpest blades and the most protective soaps, I was able to go from 4 passes to 2 skipping WTG and XTG. Now I just do 2 ATG passes and I actually get less irritation, but only if I'm using the sharpest blades. Tabac is one of the fine soaps that lets me do that. I anticipate I will get a lot more shaves out of the next puck.

I find it's fine until I get a hole in the bottom. From then on it can be soft slimy mush. The last puck I just discarded the last bit. A refill doesn't fit the porcelain dish properly so water can get down the sides and sit under the soap. I now turn it upside down to drain for a few mins while cleaning up. This new one doesn't have a lot of scent at all. Probably been in storage for a while. Nowt wrong with it though.

As soon as the hole develops put another puck in and place the remainder from the first puck on top of it.

Top Bottom