What's new

Tabac for Christmas

My wife gave me a Tabac soap for Christmas. It's been something I've wanted to try for a while, but some of the scent descriptions on B&B have scared me off. Anyway, I decided it's about time I try so I put it on my Christmas list.

First thing I noticed was the glass jar it comes in is very nice. I love how the lid sits loosely so the soap can dry without me having to leave it sitting on the counter all day.

The scent is somewhat floral, but I'd say the "old lady's hand bag" descriptions are unfair. The carnation and lavender are certainly present, but I can also smell the earthiness of sandalwood, vetiver, and oak moss. It's a complex scent with a floral presence, but I find it pleasant. I also find the scent mild and it doesn't linger post shave. My wife said it's pleasant and unoffensive. I wouldn't buy the matching AS or EdT--it's not my style and obviously the scent didn't wow my wife but she also didn't turn her nose like she has with some other soaps I've tried. I do enjoy the scent during the shave but glad the scent isn't strong like some of the artisans I like because it leaves me free to use whatever AS or EdT I want.

Finally, the performance is everything people say it is. The lather whips up very easily, it's got great slickness and post shave feel is as good as my other hard soap favorites (PdP 63 and L'Occitane Cade). I swirled the brush for about 30 seconds the first day with Tabac and had way too much lather. I've been reducing the amount I whip up every day, yet I still find myself with too much lather. So I'll keep working on dialing it in, but I can see why a puck lasts so long.

Tabac is a great soap. For anyone on the fence about it, I'd recommend it without reservation. I'm glad my wife got the glass jar and not just a refill puck, because I can see myself buying refill pucks for that jar in the future.

Nice review.

I picked up the floral, but not the other notes that you mentioned. The AS has some staying power too. I tried to like it, but something in it was giving me a headache. I eventually PIFed the set.

I can definitely tell the Old lady's handbag scent but I can also get used to the scent. I hear it performs excellently. I've had mine sitting for almost a year now.. haha.

Love tabac here, especially for straights. The a/s I think has a slightly different scent. At first the soap scent was ok, now I love it. Almost done with my second puck. This stuff lasts forever also.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion, individual body chemistry plays a large role in how a particular scent works, or does not work, on that person.

Tabac works for me and I regularly use the soap, cream, AS balm, AS and cologne.

Scent aside, you can't beat the soap for the combination of lathering ease, cushioning and slickness.

Search for Tabactober to get an idea of how well Tabac works for a number of B&B Members. :)

You can't go wrong with Tabac, I was initially scared away from it from all the negative scent reviews on here. I don't get the old lady handbag smell at all, The performance is top-notch and I swear I could whip up a mountain of slick lather using a tiny paintbrush, Tabac is must in every shave den.

One of the best soaps and scents out there I love Tabac

8.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I love Tabac, it is one one of the best soaps I have ever tried and the scent is superb. I love the AS, EDC, shower gel, deodorant, everything...... except the EDT which to my nose bears no relation to any other Tabac product with no floral notes at all. I can't stand it! Does anyone else agree or am I imagining it?

I love Tabac, it is one one of the best soaps I have ever tried and the scent is superb. I love the AS, EDC, shower gel, deodorant, everything...... except the EDT which to my nose bears no relation to any other Tabac product with no floral notes at all. I can't stand it! Does anyone else agree or am I imagining it?

TBH I have never tried the EDT but everything else yes.

Mine came as a gift too and first impression was "Too floral" but after the first great shave I liked it more and more. Even bought the AS and body soap in case for travel. Funny that you noticed too that the cap is loose for drying purposes... Seen many folks complain about it.

rey_shaves_75322215_171785477235177_1384198888715209911_n.jpg

Cheers

Great review! Tabac performs like a champ!! :a14: :a14:

The only question is whether you appreciate the scent.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Mine came as a gift too and first impression was "Too floral" but after the first great shave I liked it more and more. Even bought the AS and body soap in case for travel. Funny that you noticed too that the cap is loose for drying purposes... Seen many folks complain about it.

View attachment 1047413

Cheers
I only have two soaps which are in glass type jars, Tabac and MWF, and they both have loose lids which I like. The soaps I have had in wooden bowls, such as D.R.Harris also had loose lids. I assumed that all such soaps had similar lids which as you say facilities drying between uses. I am surprised that anyone would have complained about it.

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed Tabac! Great scent description btw. I cannot discern the individual scents, but for me, it’s floral powdery and complex and a little funky.

It’s great stuff, the ease of loading/lathering is what really sets it apart from the rest for me. Just swirling a Marco’ed Semogue 1800 over the puck for 10 seconds gives me enough lather for 2 passes and touch-ups. I have a few other soaps I love but none of them are as easy to use as Tabac!

And once you realize you don’t need to drown or soak the puck in water or load it like crazy or any of that insanity....you can probably get a couple hundred shaves from a puck. 👏🏻

I’ve been using Tabac almost exclusively the past week and enjoy it more each day. Even days when I was planning to grab something different, I went for Tabac instead. Great stuff and the scent has grown on me so I’d change my opinion from inoffensive to enjoyable.

Great gift! Tabac is one of my favourite soaps year-round, but especially in winter. It's the only soap so far I've completely used and replaced.

Welcome to the dark side. I've lost count of the number of pucks of Tabac soap I have used... it is a classic.

Top Bottom