What's new

Tabac first impressions

I have to admit, when I first smelled Tabac aftershave at my local barber shop I was turned off by the scent. Very floral, old-timey in a bad way. But I wanted to try the soap. I love it! This stuff is truly special. It smells almost exactly like Jovan Musk to me, a scent my father wore that I like very much. The soap is the smoothest I have ever used. It dried my face a little, but that isn't a deal-breaker for me. One use has placed it alongside my favorites. If only I hadn't used that Nacet blade! It would have been a fantastic shave!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Tabac is a fantastic soap and I'm glad you enjoyed the shave. I find that most AS smell slightly different on the skin as opposed to what you get from a bottle sniff, so it might be worth a try as well because the feel on the skin is great.

Tabac is a fantastic soap and I'm glad you enjoyed the shave. I find that most AS smell slightly different on the skin as opposed to what you get from a bottle sniff, so it might be worth a try as well because the feel on the skin is great.
When I get replenish the shave funds I intend to get the aftershave, maybe for x-mas. My next project is to add musk ketone and oakmoss absolute to Brut classic, then compare it to vintage. My hope is to convert it back into what it used to be. Then maybe I will get into some Tabac cologne and aftershave.

I’m glad you can smell it. I can when I stick my nose in the tub, but wet lather has no particular strength. I thought it was me, but my wife agrees. For me, most soaps are that way.

Geo Thumper creams do have a strong fragrance that persists when lathered. I wish I could smell my soaps when they’re on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is for a reason that Tabac is considered a classic. Slickest lather money can buy for reasonable sum. As a triple milled soap it just last forever.

Tabac after a while (at least for me) loses its scent - but not its performance.

Definitely so, but I don’t remember it being really strong. OTOH a tub lasts 3 to 4 years when used once each week. It’s performance is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Another Tabac devotee here, I'm waiting for cold weather to break out my fourth new puck. So apparently it doesn't last forever.

Enjoy!

It's an excellent soap in every sense. The shave stick is a great deal too, got mine for $7 and the convience of it combined with how long it lasts and the performance on top of all that, makes it unmatched in my mind. The stick is great for travel too because face lather :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have a puck of this on the way. Now I can't wait.
Prepare yourself for a ‘whoa’ when you first open the puck. It is strong. But regardless of the effect the scent has on you, please lather it for at least 3 shaves. You’ll be hooked forever. I promise!

Also, the scent will dull a bit with time and use so if at first it's a bit too....overpowering just give it some time with the container open and a few shaves and it'll start to ease a bit.

Tabac is absolutely top notch, both scent and lather performance.
Work the lather a couple of minutes and you have a thick, creamy excellent lather, and with a wonderful vintage scent.
One of my absolute favorites of all.

Prepare yourself for a ‘whoa’ when you first open the puck. It is strong. But regardless of the effect the scent has on you, please lather it for at least 3 shaves. You’ll be hooked forever. I promise!
I have to second this. It was strong, but not unpleasant at all. The first day I shaved with it, it left a sort of "aftertaste" that stayed with me all morning. But after that it has simply been smooth and slick.

My problem with the stick is getting enough of it on my face so that it will lather up with water and a brush. I think I'll need to load my face to the point where I think the soap layer is too thick, then whip with the wet brush.

Top Bottom