What's new

Tabac - don't be afraid!

Finally purchased some Tabac after reading about it so much and let me tell you...the scent ain't half bad! The main reason I didn't purchase it until now was because sooo many people have said Tabac has such an offensive smell. Scent is probably the most subjective thing there is. For example, I purchased XXX from RazoRock because I heard nothing but praise about how good the scent is. When I actually took a sniff, I was majorly let down, not a bad smell, but didn't do it for me at all. Unless the soap has a distinctive fragrance like citrus, or wood, or a specific essential oil, it will be impossible to determine if it's for you without actually smelling it. When it comes to a complex fragrance like this or like XXX, there is no explanation that you are going to read that will definitively tell you that you would enjoy it or not (unless of course it is an exact replica of a fragrance you have already smelled).

To me Tabac smells perfumy, a little bit like potpourri. The comments about "the inside of an old women's handbag" makes sense, but not in a bad way. The scent is fairly strong, but it is no where close to a terrible smelling soap for me. So if you know for sure you don't like a stronger scent, and you don't like perfume/cologne type scents, than you most likely won't enjoy it. I can't comment on performance because I haven't used it yet. The glass/ceramic container is really nice. If you're on the fence, just do it!

Last edited:
I love the stuff, I've still got the 300ml bottle I bought 11 years ago!!
It's my top shelf aftershave and I only ever use it when I go out at night.
I've got more than half of it left, and the scent is still as good now as it was when I bought it - how's that for getting more bangs for your buck !! lol

It'll tone down and mello. I picked up the colonge, now that is strong, could use it as a cover scent in a mortuary.

As you say, the appreciation of smell is very subjective. I have never found any description more than moderately usefull. Descriptions like the one quoted, about the inside of an old woman's handbag, are ofcourse of no use whatsoever. I suppose they're not meant to be, but should be read as some sort of derogatory remark intended to be funny at the same time. Which is ok as long as it doesn't put anyone off trying Tabac. I think everyone should at least try a puck of the soap. You have guessed by now: I love this stuff both for the smell and it's other qualities. F.D.: No financial interest whatsoever...

I'm on my second puck of Tabac...and, although I don't mind the scent, I will agree that it can be a tad strong, and if it's not your thing, it can be off-putting. For me, it smells like an excellent shave. :thumbup1:

The LOTH, who was born and lived in Germany for a few years, initially was repulsed (bad memories I guess) when I said I was going to get some Tabac. When I got it, she was OK with it, but yesterday, she told me that it smells like lilacs. Since she is allergic to lilacs, I didn't consider that a compliment. However, her sense of smell is bi-polar IMHO...a fragrance can be "very nice" one day, and "gag me with a spoon" the next. But I digress...

I keep mine in an open bowl, so it airs out between shaves, and will mellow over time. But the shaves, the shaves...:clap:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Tabac worked for the Beatles, and it works for me. :thumbup1:

All agree the soap's formulation is amazing. Scent is subjective; I like it. It dries down to a completely other scent- don't splash and judge, O haters. I say it's mild, the EdC seems to be gone in half a day.

Another plus: the ceramic soap bowl and EdC bottle, and their bakelite-style lid/tops. Pure 1960s; spin the EdC bottle's top, and the sound it makes is music. Love it.

AA

Like you, I put off trying it for a long time due to the scent reviews. Once I finally got some, I found I really like the scent and moved it to a well sealed plastic tub to help retain the scent goodness. Performance is also excellent, of course.

If you're on the fence about the scent then maybe stop in at you're local mall and look for Tabac at the purfume/cologne stores like Purfumania. If nothing else you should find the cologne there which I suspect has the same scent as the soap.

Personally I don't care for it, but this way at least you can see what it smells like before you buy it.

If you're on the fence about the scent then maybe stop in at you're local mall and look for Tabac at the purfume/cologne stores like Purfumania. If nothing else you should find the cologne there which I suspect has the same scent as the soap.

Personally I don't care for it, but this way at least you can see what it smells like before you buy it.
Can one get a sample of Tabac?...a hint of the fragrance, and the awesome shave will hook you!

Like you, I put off trying it for a long time due to the scent reviews. Once I finally got some, I found I really like the scent and moved it to a well sealed plastic tub to help retain the scent goodness. Performance is also excellent, of course.
+1

I used tabac tonight, I always save it for a special shave. And tonight was special because....well....I got to shave. I love the scent, but tonight I got a scent from it i never have before. It almost smelled like a dentist office :blink::thumbup:

Oh I sooo much love the performance. I just can't get past the scent. Don't call me a hater, I'm just not a liker. Cheers to all of you that like/love the scent.

I was also hesitant until I got to smell and try out a sample. I don't love the scent but also don't dislike it. It can come off a little "powdery" and somewhat floral, but it settles down a bit when you lather it. Garry's sample shop is a good way to try out a sample.

The soap scent grew on me after I recently started using the cologne. My lady likes it, so that is good enough for me.

Ordered from Perfumania last week, used Tabac for the first time this morning. Reminds me a little of baby powder at first whiff, but not strong. Incredible lather and cushion. No comment from SWMBO yet, but it's a keeper..

Top Bottom