What's new

Tabac ceramic bowl...or not?

proxy.php

The old girls wanted you very bad, so be prepared and good luck bro 👍

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Who likes the ceramic bowl and who doesn't? I want to try a puck of tabac. The ceramic bowl has a loose fitting lid right? I may like the idea of a screw on lid in case the bowl rumbles around in my overstuffed shaving drawer. Do you guys lather directly on the puck in the bowl? Are the raised ridges in the bowl helpful or just a soap trap when the soap gets low? I have a couple of empty plastic soap containers I can use for a refill puck or it seems a bit cheaper to maybe grate a refill down. Any opinions?
I prefer a bowl of my choosing. The Tabac bowl is heavy and slippery in hand. Go with the puck first. I love Tabac but it became disagreeable with my skin.

If you like to face-lather, get the stick. It’s the cheapest option, practically fool-proof, lasts a long time, and you can throw it in your luggage if you travel. If you don’t like it you didn’t spend a lot of money. Win win.

My bowl in sitting in my cabinet, when I use Tabac, it’s the stick FTW.

Lol want to cut the soap in two for sharing just wondering to go for the bowl out of rad or the refill stick as more practical to devide or grate

I would say go for the STICK!

My experience with puck and stick grated into a puck were, well...I don't wan't to say bad but yeah BAD!

In my experience this soap is REALLY sensitive to water. No matter what I did inevitably it turned to oversoak MUSH that could not lather to kill yourself. I never bloomed it and ALWAYS left it upside down for an hour or two after shave and open for a day or 2 to dry up...nothing helped. When there was a hint of "donut" it turned into mush

Now I use it in stick form and I love it. You don't need much to produce a lot of lather and due to bigger diameter your face get's covered in soap more quickly if you compare it to Palmolive or Wilkinson. You can get just refil stick or you can get it in deodorant style twist up tube. Now I don't fear it will oversoak

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have read about soaking pucks or blooming soap but never tried it nor felt the need. I load my damp brush from the dry Tabac bowl, thirty swirls or so, and start face lathering, dipping the tips in water as necessary. If I feel like it I may put a few drops of water onto the soap 30 seconds beforehand and then use that as a preshave but either works great. I have soft water where I live so maybe that helps. Maybe that is also why my Tabac seems to be lasting for years!

I would say go for the STICK!

My experience with puck and stick grated into a puck were, well...I don't wan't to say bad but yeah BAD!

In my experience this soap is REALLY sensitive to water. No matter what I did inevitably it turned to oversoak MUSH that could not lather to kill yourself. I never bloomed it and ALWAYS left it upside down for an hour or two after shave and open for a day or 2 to dry up...nothing helped. When there was a hint of "donut" it turned into mush

Now I use it in stick form and I love it. You don't need much to produce a lot of lather and due to bigger diameter your face get's covered in soap more quickly if you compare it to Palmolive or Wilkinson. You can get just refil stick or you can get it in deodorant style twist up tube. Now I don't fear it will oversoak

Must be something wrong with yours. I fill the bowl with water then drop in my synthetic, pour out the water and off we go. Never a problem. I've been using Tabac from the bowl exclusively for about 5 years. No other soaps. When a hole appears in the bottom it does get over soaked and turn to mush so I throw that last bit away.

My take on that is because the cake doesn't sit right on the bottom ie it sits slightly raised due to ribbing on the bowl, water gets underneath from the hole and over soaks that last bit. I've never had a problem with it though until down to that last wee bit.

I've always been anticipating breaking a bowl at some point if it fell in the sink but so far that hasn't happened. I do have a spare in a drawer somewhere if it does happen.

Get the (milkglass) bowl. Tabac will get soft in the end, so you take this soft soap out, put in a new puck and put the soap you've just taken out back on top. It's high enough to do that. No waste.
My bowl actually disappeared once. It's either hiding or one of the kids broke it and didn't feel like admitting it (they're hopeless at coverups though). Bought a new one, no regrets.

Must be something wrong with yours. I fill the bowl with water then drop in my synthetic, pour out the water and off we go. Never a problem. I've been using Tabac from the bowl exclusively for about 5 years. No other soaps. When a hole appears in the bottom it does get over soaked and turn to mush so I throw that last bit away.

My take on that is because the cake doesn't sit right on the bottom ie it sits slightly raised due to ribbing on the bowl, water gets underneath from the hole and over soaks that last bit. I've never had a problem with it though until down to that last wee bit.

I've always been anticipating breaking a bowl at some point if it fell in the sink but so far that hasn't happened. I do have a spare in a drawer somewhere if it does happen.

Well it happened with 3 pucks AND grated stick and I can assure you that stick was pressed into the bowl REALLY TIGHT. And when the hole appeared I had like 1/3 of soap left that turned to mush so I wowed never to buy another Tabac puck or grate a stick. From now on only stick form for me

Well it happened with 3 pucks AND grated stick and I can assure you that stick was pressed into the bowl REALLY TIGHT. And when the hole appeared I had like 1/3 of soap left that turned to mush so I wowed never to buy another Tabac puck or grate a stick. From now on only stick form for me

It is a strange one for sure. By the time I get mush there's very little left anyway. Stick with the stick, as you say. :thumbup1:

I like the stick for travel, but at home I normally bowl lather. My bowl of Tabac is just about empty! Will need a refill soon. I love the Tabac bowl.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Have not tried Tabac yet, but would probably get the bowl.
For other hard soaps that come in tins I find that the tins are too small, so I use 2 cup size pyrex glass jars that come with lids, and only cost about $3. These make loading the brush a lot easier with the added space, and dont add much to the cost of the soap as a $10-$20 extra cost for a ceramic bowl that are too small.
Fits my Pre de Provence soap very nicely. Also the puck sticks to the bottom and doesn't move when loading the brush. These inexpensive pyrex bowls are great for soft soaps and creams also. The extra room also allows the puck to dry much better before putting the lid back on.
20200222_155313_kindlephoto-160622144.jpg
20200222_155513_kindlephoto-160542502.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom