What's new

Tabac Brotherhood!

I most definitely have a Tabac addiction... I've got to have it in all forms. It took time, I was nonplussed by first whiff but it's the quality and efficiency of the soap which converted me!
IMG_20211125_211720792.jpg

Are there any comparative reviews that look at the new version vs the old? I have enough of the old to last me a couple years, but should I stretch it longer than that by using other soaps more often than I would otherwise?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I tried to. It's in the soap forum somewhere, but although I tried to get people to limit their responses to those who have tried both soaps, it degenerated into a tallow versus 'vegan' soap poo-fling extraordinaire, including using the term "vegan soap.

I'm not going to bother looking for it, you can do so if you like, I was the thread starter, but the executive summary is that for the most part, those who are fans of the old version are not as impressed with the new. It's not a bad soap, mind you, but they felt it was disappointing relatively speaking.

Bottom line is this, no comparative review is going to do you any good anyway. These are two completely different products, though they have the same name. The same name is the only similarity. Just try it on your own and see what you think about it. If you have to have tallow, you're not going to like it. If you go tallow or vegan, like I do, then try it you may like it. But it will be like comparing the old Tabac to Pre de Provence or something like that.

They are completely different products, treat it that way, the thread is not worth looking up. If you like trying new non-tallow soaps, go for it. But do not think of it as reformulated Tabac, because it is not. It's a totally different product.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, I tried to. It's in the soap forum somewhere, but although I tried to get people to limit their responses to those who have tried both soaps, it degenerated into a tallow versus 'vegan' soap poo-fling extraordinaire, including using the term "vegan soap.

I'm not going to bother looking for it, you can do so if you like, I was the thread starter, but the executive summary is that for the most part, those who are fans of the old version are not as impressed with the new. It's not a bad soap, mind you, but they felt it was disappointing relatively speaking.

Bottom line is this, no comparative review is going to do you any good anyway. These are two completely different products, though they have the same name. The same name is the only similarity. Just try it on your own and see what you think about it. If you have to have tallow, you're not going to like it. If you go tallow or vegan, like I do, then try it you may like it. But it will be like comparing the old Tabac to Pre de Provence or something like that.

They are completely different products, treat it that way, the thread is not worth looking up. If you like trying new non-tallow soaps, go for it. But do not think of it as reformulated Tabac, because it is not. It's a totally different product.
Very well written. That's how I took it, but I have not yet tried the new formula.

I’m not opposed to vegan soap, but I have never found the lather to be as robust as a tallow soap. The only vegan soap that hasn’t caused some disappointment is Soap Commander, but I’ve had disappointing results from a lot of tallow soaps too. It’s also all very subjective, of course. Thanks for your response. I’ll just use what I have at my normal rate and see what’s what when it’s gone; all good things really do come to an end sooner or later. Thanks again!

When it came out that the formula had changed, I was about two thirds of the way through a puck that I had been working on for like 3 years. I don't shave every day, and I exclusively use brushes under 18mm, so I don't use a lot per shave either, heh.

Upon hearing the news I ordered 2 refill pucks thinking that if I got the tallow, great I'm set for years. But if I got the new formula, cool, I get to try it. Then they arrived as not refills, but ceramic bowl pucks in the tallow formula. But I paid the refill price. So out of curiosity I repeated the order, with the same intent, and got the same result.

Now I have 4 ceramic bowl pucks of tallow in reserve. More would just be absurd, so I'm not ordering more. I'll just be one of the curmudgeonly old timers still using tallow Tabac in like 20 years, lol.

I'd like to be in, pls.

I plain and simple love the performance of tallow Tabac - and I enjoy the scent, too. Fortunately, Mrs JAHE likes the scent as well.

I (still) have no dogs in the "tallow vs vegan" fight thing - I just know that I have a hard time imagining the tallow-free version being the better product in comparison, since tallow Tabac is just about as good as a mass-produced soap can get. The reviews of the new version I saw on B&B are quite a mixed bag... (as @JCinPA stated).

That's why I stocked up tallow Tabac in good time.

In the meantime, tallow Tabac has dissapeared from the brick and mortar strore shelfes here in Germany.

I'm going to try out the vegan version
somewhere in the future (out of curiosity), though.

Last edited:
I'd like to be in, pls.

I plain and simple love the performance of tallow Tabac - and I enjoy the scent, too. Fortunately, Mrs JAHE likes the scent as well.

I (still) have no dogs in the "tallow vs vegan" fight thing - I just know that I have a hard time imagining the tallow-free version being the better product in comparison, since tallow Tabac is just about as good as a mass-produced soap can get. The reviews of the new version I saw on B&B are quite a mixed bag... (as @JCinPA stated).

That's why I stocked up tallow Tabac in good time.

In the meantime, tallow Tabac has dissapeared from the brick and mortar strore shelfes here in Germany.

I'm going to try out the vegan version
somewhere in the future (out of curiosity), though.
Welcome!

2 bowls and one stick of Tabac tallow, but I want a bit more of it. Is anyone knows where can I find it in Europe?

Looking for a little help from the Masters of Tabac ...

I recently got a refill since my puck is nearing the half-way point. I think I have the *New* "Original Tabac", but am looking for confirmation since I don't have an example of the old ingredients list.

Is this the new, non-tallow version?
PXL_20220206_204110836.jpg

Looking for a little help from the Masters of Tabac ...

I recently got a refill since my puck is nearing the half-way point. I think I have the *New* "Original Tabac", but am looking for confirmation since I don't have an example of the old ingredients list.

Is this the new, non-tallow version?
View attachment 1405711
Yes it is, it's the new formula.

Here's the former ingredients list:
Screenshot_20220206-225235_Firefox.jpg

Still haven't finished my last tallow puck, so haven't gotten to the new formula yet. But, today I got to use the bath bar for an over the top Tabac Tuesday.

PXL_20220222_161721811-01.jpeg

Joseph Smith
Mojo Handcrafts brush
Full compliment of Tabac (bath soap, tallow shaving soap, aftershave, and EdC)

Top Bottom