What's new

Tabac arrived today....but....

.....not too sure about the scent. I'm going to try it tomorrow and if its not for me, look for it on the B/S/T in about two weeks along with some other goodies. :biggrin1:

I hated the scent when I got it. Now I just dislike it. I have a feeling in about two weeks it will be at "not bad."

The good news is that you can B/S/T and be out just a couple of bucks.

It's a love it or hate it type of fragrance. I felt the same way about Cella, couldn't stand it at first, but now it's growing on me...because it's so slick and offers a very superior shave ;)

I couldn't stand the smell. Like Ajax covered in grandmother. :a11:

I had it on BST myself, but no one wanted to trade for it. :sad:

I hated the scent when I got it. Now I just dislike it. I have a feeling in about two weeks it will be at "not bad."

The good news is that you can B/S/T and be out just a couple of bucks.
+1

I was so let down when I first got it. I was expecting a spicy fresh laundry scent and got a STRONG stale floral that smelled through the box. I could hardly stand the first few days. But it does calm down and becomes tolerable. So give it a chance.

Tried it......liked the lather......not the sent. Will be on B/S/T once I get to 45 days on the forum.
I usually use Proraso and have tried VDH select and deluxe. Tabac, being a tallow soap, had a much richer lather which I really liked.
I've got cella on the way as well as a stick of Speick (for travel) and some Mama Bear samples.

Tried it......liked the lather......not the sent. Will be on B/S/T once I get to 45 days on the forum.
I usually use Proraso and have tried VDH select and deluxe. Tabac, being a tallow soap, had a much richer lather which I really liked.
I've got cella on the way as well as a stick of Speick (for travel) and some Mama Bear samples.

Seriously the scent is gonna die down, leave it out in the open for a while. If you like the way it shaves keep it. The scent won't interfere with your aftershaves because it doesn't last long after you rinse off the lather.

Clayton

I don't care for (but don't hate the smell) but I am in a pretty small minority that just doesn't get good shaves from Tabac. I keep coming back to it, and it is just razor burn and weepers for me, and this is after a number of tries. I do have pretty hard water though, which could be an issue.

I unwrapped mine and set it in the garage for a week and that really took an edge off the funk.

It produces a great shave so just tame the stench and you'll probably love it.

Tabac could own the shave soap market if they'd come up with a defunkified scent. (& Irisch Moos doesn't cut it for me)

It certainly does stink, good luck with that. I'm sure it's a fantastic performer (gets soooooo much fanfare around here). I will never know, as I couldn't get past the stench. there are so many great soaps that don't stink to high heaven, maybe when I'm done trying every one of those, I'll give Tabac another shot, maybe not.

I used it for several weeks straight and it worked pretty good and smelled ok... it was my second soap after proraso white. After getting a few other soaps that had terrific scents, I went back to Tabac and couldn't stand it. So I sold it. No biggy. I have soaps that perform as good or better for me, and smell much better to my nose.

Give the scent a little time. Especially when you first open it is powerful but once it airs a little, it's great.

I got mine yesterday. I love the scent. I also own the cream so I'll be trying an uberlather with them at some point. The shave was great, too.

YMMV

I can tell you that it mellows out a bit. i have had mine in the open air for quite some time now and it still has an odd stench.... enough to put me off.

Its sad actually because the stuff performs awesome. It lathers, and shaves like a dream. My wife even likes the smell! I reach for Cella, Williams, Conk, or TOBS before tabac.....and all because of that odd stench. I have tried to to grin and bear it.....but i am fooling myself if i pretend to like it.

If Tabac was unscented it would be the ultimate soap. :thumbup:

BTW...my Tabac is not going up for sale or trade. I plan to keep it out indefinitely to see if the smell ever leaves completely!

Last edited:
Let's face it; it stinks. But it is one of the easiest latherers out there and while I think that the lather is not one of the best it is still above average and easy to make. When you are a bit sloppy on brush-technique this one might even be the best for you.

If you like the rest of the soap but can't get over the scent/smell you might give Irisch Moos a try; very (very) close in performance but much better scented (though YMMV).

Tabac is my go to soap, I was strictly a bowl lathering creams user when I started and then tried Cella, Tabac, MdC, both Prorasos, Cade, and some others. Hands down Tabac is my go to soap, Cella is a very close second but Tabac gives me great results even if I don't spend enough time with the lather. As for the scent, it never bothered me as much as I have read on some of the forums, I'm a 32 year old guy and find it unique in a good way.

Bottom line for me is until I find a soap that performs as well as Tabac with as little effort as it takes I won't ever be getting rid of mine!!!

Justin

I went from "I can't stand it" to "I gotta have it" in about 3 shaves. I'm talking about the scent, of course, because it provides a lather like few others. If you are over it, I'll look for it on the BST! Too much good stuff out there to force yourself to use a soap that you don't like.

Tabac was one of those that I liked ok at first, the scent wasn't great to me but it was pleasant enough. The more I shaved with it though, I just got tired of it. I keep a dish of it around to use from time to time as it is a great soap, but definately not one of my regulars.

Top Bottom