What's new

Tabac aftershave v cologne

Hi guys

I ordered the tabac aftershave splash but was instead given a cologne. Tried finding the ingredients as the two but cant seem to find cologne ingredients.

anyone out there know if i can use the cologne as an aftershave? or know the difference in ingredients? or do i need to swap it?

cheers

found the ingredients but still need to ask, can i use the cologne as a splash?

Cologne Ingredients
Alcohol, Water Aqua, Fragrance Parfum, Limonene, PEG40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, AlphaIsomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Citral, Isoeugenol, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Amyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Yellow 5 CI19140, Red 4 CI 14700, Blue 1 CI 42090

Splash Ingredients
Alcohol, Water, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, PEG-40, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Isoeugenol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Coumarin, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Lactic Acid, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Amyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Eugenol, Sodium Hydroxide, Yellow 5 (Cl 19140), Red 4 (Cl 14700), Blue 1 (Cl 42090).

lasta

Blade Biter
I wouldn't do that. First, with the volume you'll use in a typical splash, you will be the "Mr. too much cologne wearer" for the rest of the day. Second, cologne is basically alcohol, fragrance and preservatives. No soothing or moisturizing properties, defeats the purpose of an "aftershave".

On the other hand, you can use aftershave as a cologne no problem.

Let me kindly disagree with the two gents above

Tabac aftershave has a single “skin food” ingredient that is propylene glycol. It goes in quite dry and doesn’t leave any moisture feeling like other glycerin or witch hazel based splashes.

I believe you will won’t feel a major difference between the cologne and the splash in terms of face feel. The scent of the aftershave is identical to the cologne, and relatively strong for an aftershave. So I say give it a try

thanks for you replies guys

hey @davidsilva yeah.. strats.. love em

did some research and the only item the cologne has the aftershave doesnt is citral. Citral is used as a floral scent and the aftershave uses butylphenyl methylpropional which functions as a fragrance ingredient due to its strong floral scent

The following items are found in the aftershave and not the cologne.

Propylene glycol moisturizes the top layer of your skin

Lactic acid is a popular remedy for acne, razor bumps, and skin restoration in general.

Sodium Hydroxide is present in skin care to maintain a safe pH level in the product itself

so it seems the 'skin food' in the splash is limited to lactic acid and propylene glycol. hmmm i guess i can use witch hazel to get 'skin food' properties

wonder why the cologne is more expensive if the scent strength is the same?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have used a mix of aftershaves, colognes, and EDTs after shaving for decades with no problems. There is no right and wrong, just try it and do what works for you. Keep away from the Tabac EDT as it is awful, smells nothing like the cologne or AS.

Let me kindly disagree with the two gents above

Tabac aftershave has a single “skin food” ingredient that is propylene glycol. It goes in quite dry and doesn’t leave any moisture feeling like other glycerin or witch hazel based splashes.

I believe you will won’t feel a major difference between the cologne and the splash in terms of face feel. The scent of the aftershave is identical to the cologne, and relatively strong for an aftershave. So I say give it a try

hey mate.. so are you saying it leaves your skin dryer feeling than glycerin?

I'll give it a go with tonight's shave and see how it goes, if no good will return it for what i actually purchased

I have used a mix of aftershaves, colognes, and EDTs after shaving for decades with no problems. There is no right and wrong, just try it and do what works for you. Keep away from the Tabac EDT as it is awful, smells nothing like the cologne or AS.

yeah cheers.. i'll give it a go and see its effects on my skin, one things for sure.. there will be a lot of tabac in the air tonight :)

hey mate.. so are you saying it leaves your skin dryer feeling than glycerin?

I'll give it a go with tonight's shave and see how it goes, if no good will return it for what i actually purchased

I wouldn’t say drier, I would say normal, as it should be. Clean, smooth, fresh, and heavenly scented. I don’t like glycerin-based splashes much because they tend to leave a wet film on my face

Tabac AS gives me one of the best face feel among all my aftershaves

Both my wife and daughter loved the scent, so I’ll be grabbing the aftershave tonight 👍

Also managed to grab 11 refill pucks of the old formula. The wr2 1.25 loaded with a feather resulted in a super smooth bbs, the soap is amazing, plenty of slickness and cushion.

not happy tabac removed the tallow from their soap

5A6A81BA-F394-4604-84D8-FB73ADE87E45.jpeg

I wouldn’t say drier, I would say normal, as it should be. Clean, smooth, fresh, and heavenly scented. I don’t like glycerin-based splashes much because they tend to leave a wet film on my face

Tabac AS gives me one of the best face feel among all my aftershaves

no issue with the cologne after the shave but the actual aftershave provided the burn from the alcohol I am used to in a splash.

very impressed with the splash/cologne scents so had to have both :)

IMG-2084.JPG

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tabac is strange for me. LOVE the performance of the old formula, everything about it but the scent. Kinda gives me a "Grey Flannel" vibe....

I love it one day, hate it the next. It seems like if you had two grammas growing up, one you liked better than the other, then on the days I'm in my happy place thinking of nice grama I like the old lady purse smell. If I'm thinking of bad grama, it's not so hot.

LOL! I must have Grama Issues!

Tabac is strange for me. LOVE the performance of the old formula, everything about it but the scent. Kinda gives me a "Grey Flannel" vibe....

I love it one day, hate it the next. It seems like if you had two grammas growing up, one you liked better than the other, then on the days I'm in my happy place thinking of nice grama I like the old lady purse smell. If I'm thinking of bad grama, it's not so hot.

LOL! I must have Grama Issues!

lol i sort of get the 'grandma' scent with the soap but the splash and cologne def doesnt give that vibe and smells a bit different, I am not too good at describing scents but its a sharper smell and not soapy.. I think it has to do with the scent mixing with the fat in the soap but not sure

i had been holding out getting the splash in the past because of the scent of their soap, i didnt hate but didnt love it either..

but since Tabac announced they were taking the tallow out of their formula, I went and bought all the tabac refills i could find with the old formula (12)

this sort of got me onto a Tabac splurge and thought might as well get the splash to have a set and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the splash and cologne were (much nicer than the soap)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
lol i sort of get the 'grandma' scent with the soap but the splash and cologne def doesnt give that vibe and smells a bit different, I am not too good at describing scents but its a sharper smell and not soapy.. I think it has to do with the scent mixing with the fat in the soap but not sure

i had been holding out getting the splash in the past because of the scent of their soap, i didnt hate but didnt love it either..

but since Tabac announced they were taking the tallow out of their formula, I went and bought all the tabac refills i could find with the old formula (12)

this sort of got me onto a Tabac splurge and thought might as well get the splash to have a set and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the splash and cologne were (much nicer than the soap)
Some of the other Tabac products are also worth a try; the shower gel, deodorant stick, and hand soap are especially nice.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Some of the other Tabac products are also worth a try; the shower gel, deodorant stick, and hand soap are especially nice.
I'm going to blame you guys when I have to explain to the War Department why I need her to sign in to Paypal for me.....

Top Bottom