What's new

T.V. Land

Being mid forties I used to love T.V. Land about 8 years back when they had truly classic shows in the line up. So many channels start out one way and wind up so far away from their roots or name. Music Televison (MTV) we all know fits into this. So does AMC which does not always show movie classics. A new channel we have now is HUB which has Happy Days, Wonder Years and others in the evening. I hope they continue and grow their line up.

I enjoy starting my day off right with Good Times , Sanford and Son , and The Jeffersons !! My family and I love TV Land !!

There ins a new one one now called Antenna TV they showed Three Stooges all day yesterday and now it's Benny Hill.
I guess there starting the regular stuff on Monday

I enjoy starting my day off right with Good Times , Sanford and Son , and The Jeffersons !! My family and I love TV Land !!
I've been getting hooked on ending my day with Roseanne and The Nanny ... but I don't understand why (exceot for occasional marathons,) TV Land ignores the greatest TV show of all time, Gilligan's Island.

I anxiously await reruns of 50's Roller Derby and real wrestling.:lol:

proxy.php

proxy.php

So many channels start out one way and wind up so far away from their roots or name.

That seems to be endemic in cable land. Last night I was flipping to IFC, which the last time I watched it (many years ago) was supposed to be a place to watch edgy independent films.

So, what did they have last night? A "Larry Sanders show" marathon. Funny show, but nothing at all having to do with independent film. Nor is having "Monty Python" in their lineup, either. These networks are simply so grappling for viewers (as you can tell by the bargain basement ads for injury lawyers and bottom-barrel as seen on TV products) that they'll stray far from their brand to get them.

Jeff in Boston

Being mid forties I used to love T.V. Land about 8 years back when they had truly classic shows in the line up. So many channels start out one way and wind up so far away from their roots or name. Music Televison (MTV) we all know fits into this. So does AMC which does not always show movie classics. A new channel we have now is HUB which has Happy Days, Wonder Years and others in the evening. I hope they continue and grow their line up.

My biggest gripe about cable companies is that they take on channels, raise the rates, the channels change their programming, and you're stuck with them forever.

The truth about TV Land and Nick at Nite is that as we get older, we move beyond the target audience age. Television caters to a newer generation.

As for AMC, you can read what happened here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_(TV_channel). Look in the section where it says 2000s: Format Change. I almost never watch it since it changed.

The city where I live provided an alternative to Cox, and when I switched I got TCM (Turner Classic Movies). It is pretty close to what AMC was before the changes.

My biggest gripe about cable companies is that they take on channels, raise the rates, the channels change their programming, and you're stuck with them forever.

The truth about TV Land and Nick at Nite is that as we get older, we move beyond the target audience age. Television caters to a newer generation who buys more of the products advertised.

As for AMC, you can read what happened here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_(TV_channel). Look in the section where it says 2000s: Format Change. I almost never watch it since it changed.

The city where I live provided an alternative to Cox, and when I switched I got TCM (Turner Classic Movies). It is pretty close to what AMC was before the changes.

I think as shows became released on DVD TV land lost the rights to them in an effort for the trademark owners to sell box sets. Still all in all they never show the whole series. Hulu is the way to go for this genere.

I don't think we lose the target audience status as we get older, I believe the programers get younger. They are the ones who lose sight of who has the money to buy things which is we the older people, and who is looking for these shows. As a result they loose ratings and advertising revenue.

I remember when The History Channel was new, and my wife referred to it as the "Black and White Airplane Channel". I watched it all the time. Now, it's pretty rare to see military programming on it.

The answer for my family has been to abandon most broadcast and cable for old shows on DVD. I just got the first season of "I Love Lucy" from the public library, and the kids love it. Learning a lot of great trivia from the bonus features, too.

Other shows my kids know about due to DVD purchases, rentals and library loans...

The Andy Griffith show (they think Barney is the star of the show)

Star Trek

Combat!

The Waltons

The World at War

Victory at Sea

Davey Crockett

I had to drop cable, but my local OTA tv has a channel called Retro TV. They carry such as;

Daniel Boone
Airwolf
Peter Gunn
The Alfred Hitchcock Hour
Battlestar Galactica
Black Sheep Squadron
It Takes A Thief
Run For Your Life
Alias Smith and Jones
Laredo
The Rifleman
Bachelor Father
Marcus Welby
I Spy
The Bold Ones
Adam 12
Kojak
Magnum PI
Leave It To Beaver
Emergency
The Rockford Files
The A Team
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Emergency!
Dragnet

I grew up with many of those and like them.

History Channel has "Military History" Channel on Verizon Fios with no commercials. I think thats where there military stuff went to. We have it at work so I catch it there on a break. So much on the History Channel is not even yet history like Loggers etc. I think one company owns all these documentry channels and just spreads out a few offerings to all them. I also once again state the programers are young kids who either don't know their material or what was history to them happened in the 80's.

It sucks AMC has commercials now, but at least we have Mad Men. I love that show.

I miss Nick at Nites old line up with Taxi and Welcome Back Kotter. 70s TV was the best. Comedy Central used to play the old 70s SNL Episodes, I really miss those.

Top Bottom