What's new

T-shirt Prices

With the popularity of the T-shirt as outer- rather than just underwear, prices have soared. Amazon sells their Essentials t-shirt for about $3, if you buy a 6-pack. At the other end of the price spectrum, I found a South Island t-shirt priced at $195. I understand the differences in short- and long-staple cotton, but the prices at the high end seem ridiculous. Extra detailing adds a bit to price, but isn't enough to warrant the luxury goods price. What are your thoughts?

1676956927620.png

This Sea Island cotton tee, without the picture, sells for a mere $209

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think I would implode if I spent $200 on a tee shirt. ☠️

I agree over the years prices have gone up especially with cool logo or screen printing shirts. I think 50 is my limit really but it’s got to be good. Recently I went back to ebbets field flannel but haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet.

About 20 bucks is my limit. I probably had close to 100 Harley Davidson t-shirts, but usually bought them on sale or received most as gifts. I bought one as a gift a couple of years ago and didn't like paying $30 for it. I will admit HD made some good shirts. They held up for years.

As far as current prices go, one of my clubs just ordered custom printed t-shirts. We got Gildan Ultra Cotton 100% cotton shirts with screen printing on front and back for less than $15 each.

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Long ago when I was young and stupid I thought nothing of paying £150+ on a t-shirt. Now I'm a lot older and a little bit wiser I won't go over £20 as I don't care what it says on the label.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I no longer wear shirts without a collar, or with large pictures or logos. Neither do I wear baseball hats, denim jeans, or trainers - sneakers to my US friends. Why not? Because I am over 50 years of age and no self respecting man of my vintage has any business wearing such garments 🤣 Unless of course you want to, in which case carry on, and I concede that some older men can and do look good in such attire 👍 Anyway, my wife decides what I wear, she has better taste than me in pretty much everything, with the exception of selecting a partner.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
All my shirts have collars apart from a few v neck t-shirts that I wear to bed. Most of my shirts come from opportunity shops these days so there is no way that I would pay huge amounts of money for any kind of shirts.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just replaced my T-shirts and picked up some Henley T-shirts at Duluth Trading during their last few rounds of sales.... 30% off... then after I discovered, they are still excellent, a few more at 25% off. That's about all I wear these days, living in Florida and being retired. I have plenty of very nice dress casual stuff if I need to be a touch more formal.

I no longer wear shirts without a collar, or with large pictures or logos. Neither do I wear baseball hats, denim jeans, or trainers - sneakers to my US friends. Why not? Because I am over 50 years of age and no self respecting man of my vintage has any business wearing such garments 🤣 Unless of course you want to, in which case carry on, and I concede that some older men can and do look good in such attire 👍 Anyway, my wife decides what I wear, she has better taste than me in pretty much everything, with the exception of selecting a partner.
There are few things more ridiculous looking than a middle-aged or older man trying to look younger by wearing clothing not suited to his age. Some can get away with it, but the majority can't. For purposes of full disclosure, I wear trainers when I am training, but only then. No denim jeans anymore.

There are few things more ridiculous looking than a middle-aged or older man trying to look younger by wearing clothing not suited to his age. Some can get away with it, but the majority can't. For purposes of full disclosure, I wear trainers when I am training, but only then. No denim jeans anymore.

I'm nearly 50 and agree with most of this. But denim jeans can look good as long as they are a dark wash and fitted properly. Trainers are possible if they are a well-made "fashion sneaker". Too many men walking around with faded blue jeans that are pooling around their ankles, and wearing ugly New Balance sneakers.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I buy all my t-shirts from Kohl's. The Sonoma Goods For Life® brand hold up well and fit me perfectly. About $12.00 per t-shirt or on sale at 2 for $20.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just about anyone with some sort of online entertainment/information presence ... a podcast, a Youtube channel, or whatever ... will be selling "merch", usually including t-shirts. So for about $30 you can get a t-shirt AND support your favourite content creator.

Yes, that's too much for a t-shirt. But at least the profits are going to support someone you actually want to support.

Top Bottom