What's new

T-shirt Prices

I have been rocking the same pair of 6 Kirkland from Costco Crew neck T-shirts for the past few years, strickly as undershirts. The pkg was 25-30 IIRC.

I wear a 44L. The Kirkland's ran a bit big so I bought L. They get washed in hot with a cold water rinse and no meaningful shrinkage.

My V-necks are "Premium Haynes." I bought a 3 pk in L but they shrank a bit. I then bought a 3 pk in XL and they too are fine. The pkgs were sub 20.

I too cannot see spending no more than 5 - 6 per shirt for anything that is primarily an undershirt.

I suppose that if it were "the" shirt I was wearing out in the world, I might spend more like 20ish max given that is about all I will spend on a t-shirt absent a very specific application i.e. super lightweight synthetic long sleeve for hiking etc.

If I was really into the stark white t shirt look, I strongly suspect I would wear a more modest one out of a multiple pack 1x as the primary and then repurpose as an undershirt or dust cloth or shine rag etc. or wash and donate to goodwill/ etc.

Food for Thought/Executive Summary Uniqlo white T at 20ish per

The Best Men’s White T-Shirts - https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-white-t-shirts-for-men/

I no longer wear shirts without a collar, or with large pictures or logos. Neither do I wear baseball hats, denim jeans, or trainers - sneakers to my US friends. Why not? Because I am over 50 years of age and no self respecting man of my vintage has any business wearing such garments 🤣 Unless of course you want to, in which case carry on, and I concede that some older men can and do look good in such attire 👍 Anyway, my wife decides what I wear, she has better taste than me in pretty much everything, with the exception of selecting a partner.
If one puts little to no effort into one's look, then simplistic rules eliminating various articles of clothing will lessen the chance of looking ridiculous.

OTOH, denim jeans for example, when put together with appropriate other (typically more upscale) classics can be a part of a older gentleman's look. Same with every other article of clothing mentioned.

If one puts little to no effort into one's look, then simplistic rules eliminating various articles of clothing will lessen the chance of looking ridiculous.

OTOH, denim jeans for example, when put together with appropriate other (typically more upscale) classics can be a part of a older gentleman's look. Same with every other article of clothing mentioned.
This requires some fashion sense, which the vast majority of men don't have except for the basics. I stick with a classic look that servers me well rather than try to sort out all the ins and outs of what looks best on an older man.

This requires some fashion sense, which the vast majority of men don't have except for the basics. I stick with a classic look that servers me well rather than try to sort out all the ins and outs of what looks best on an older man.
Vast majority don't have "some" fashion sense? Maybe... but then this Forum isn't likely a statistical cross section of the majority.

1. This forum is not a statistical cross section f the majority.
2. An inordinate number of men have little style
3. If men, would press/wash/clean the clothes they wore, particularly if the clothes merely fit, that would be a good start.

3. If men, would press/wash/clean the clothes they wore, particularly if the clothes merely fit, that would be a good start.
Yes, the basics of clothes upkeep by laundering and pressing them is a given in my book. And never go out to a store in your pajamas. My wife objects to me wearing sweatpants in public unless I'm exercising.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes, the basics of clothes upkeep by laundering and pressing them is a given in my book. And never go out to a store in your pajamas. My wife objects to me wearing sweatpants in public unless I'm exercising.
Case in point. The other day at work the back of a colleague’s suit coat was covered with dog hair.

Another colleague (a wise guy) asked him if he had a dog. He happily and obviously obliviously responded with a great big smile and said why yes I do.

The wise guy responded “I thought so”
😊

Case in point. The other day at work the back of a colleague’s suit coat was covered with dog hair.

Another colleague (a wise guy) asked him if he had a dog. He happily and obviously obliviously responded with a great big smile and said why yes I do.

The wise guy responded “I thought so”
😊
In so many Sherlock Holmes stories, he is able to gather clues by clothing, which helps him clinch the case, which he always does, despite his protestations otherwise. Dr Watson, the inattentive observer, is dumbfounded

In my experience "don't care" vastly out numbers those who want to look good but lack "knowledge".

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am past 50 and don't have much fashion sense. The biggest thing I try to avoid is dressing like a dad...:biggrin1:

I am a dad and fully embrace the role ... dad jokes, dad clothes, and so forth. What I have to work at is not looking like a grampa.

It's remarkably easy to be "above average" ...

... when so many others work so hard to lower what "average" means.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This Sea Island cotton tee, without the picture, sells for a mere $209

Well, I'm certainly not paying $200 for a plain white t-shirt.

That being said, it's just a plain white t-shirt. No fancy designer logo, no special features or "not-so-secret" secret marking that identifies the expensive producer ... just a plain white t-shirt. You could wear it and nobody would ever know that you spent more than $10 on it. IMHO there's something appealing about that, in the complete lack of ostentation. The wearer isn't broadcasting to the world how much money he can afford to spend on clothes ... very much the opposite.

If someone wants to spend that much money on a t-shirt as a private, personal indulgence ... why not? Collared dress shirts often come with collar stays that keep the collar points pointy. Most are plastic, and some companies use metal ones instead. But you can buy them made of precious metals (I've seen silver ones on sale, and no doubt gold plated ones are out there too). Of course, nobody will ever see them. But "you know" and that's the point.

Interesting.

Still, way too much money for my blood.

Well, I'm certainly not paying $200 for a plain white t-shirt.

That being said, it's just a plain white t-shirt. No fancy designer logo, no special features or "not-so-secret" secret marking that identifies the expensive producer ... just a plain white t-shirt. You could wear it and nobody would ever know that you spent more than $10 on it. IMHO there's something appealing about that, in the complete lack of ostentation. The wearer isn't broadcasting to the world how much money he can afford to spend on clothes ... very much the opposite.

If someone wants to spend that much money on a t-shirt as a private, personal indulgence ... why not? Collared dress shirts often come with collar stays that keep the collar points pointy. Most are plastic, and some companies use metal ones instead. But you can buy them made of precious metals (I've seen silver ones on sale, and no doubt gold plated ones are out there too). Of course, nobody will ever see them. But "you know" and that's the point.

Interesting.

Still, way too much money for my blood.
There was a book I read long ago: Class by Paul Fussell. Among other things denoting class, he talks about expensive clothing that has no indication of cost--no logos or other identifiers that identify it as pricey. Keen observers can spot a well-made piece of clothing or footwear. Prince--now King--Charles is known for his patched clothing and shoes (I posted a couple of photos on BB awhile back.) No one would describe this as slumming it. And so it goes.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I am past 50 and don't have much fashion sense. The biggest thing I try to avoid is dressing like a dad...:biggrin1:

I'm 59 I'm still wearing jeans with t-shirts. If people who know me see me wearing a pair of casual dress trousers and a shirt ask me am I going to a wedding or funeral.
I’ve worn a uniform for the vast majority of my adult life so I’ve never needed “business clothes.” Off duty I could usually be found in jeans and T-shirt’s which has continued into my semi-retired years. It seems that all the “cool” clothes I wore 30yrs ago are no longer in fashion and the shirts that I still have have shrunk. 😉

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think the people that are buying a $200 t-shirt ain’t buying one because they like the design or it’s so super comfortable. They are buying it because it’s $200 and they wouldn’t be caught dead in (or never even heard of) Amazon Basics or Hanes, or Fruit of the Loom. It’s a status thing. The people you hang out with while wearing your $200 t-shirt wouldn’t be your friends if you were in a $3.00 shirt.

I’ve been wearing t-shirts my entire life. It’s what I’m in 90% of the time. 30-40 bucks is about the most I’ve spent on a t-shirt and those are the Authentic MLB team shirts, and thats the only reason I spent that much. You won’t convince me a $200 shirt is any better than a $20 shirt.

I also had no idea the prices have soared because t-shirts are more popular now. I’m not sure where that story or data is coming from. I can’t say I’ve noticed more people wearing t-shirt now than 5 years ago. Maybe I just don’t pay attention to clothing trends or what people are wearing.

Top Bottom