What's new

T.SCargill

Yesterday I tried stopping at an antique mall i frequent, but they open an hour later and they forgot to update google. I had to stop in another antique store to kill time, never having been to this one because the reviews are all very bad. To my surprise i ended up finding this straight razor and was able to convince them to take a third of the price off, which still left me paying more than i have on any other rescued razor. It's ok though, I very much enjoy the lines of this baby, and it's my first true snub tail. (STUB tail?) eh, it's my first stubby little razor :)

I was wondering if anyone could offer information on dating, or info on this company?

Looks like lead spacer, brass pins, horn scales with a bit of blond...If treated with neatsfoot oil or something will it bring the blond out like it does with wood? Any info that can be offered would be appreciated.

A full day and not a single bite? Wow it MUST be rare :) either way I honed her up and she got me good and smooth, may be my best shaving one yet. Bbs all over and darn close on neck area which is always a rough spot for me.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Ufgoodies
neatsfoot oil will definitely help the scales don't know that it will make the blond pop but it will hydrant and preserve them. It's a stub tail with a wide shank definitely looks early 1800's , can't help with the maker. definitely a nice score

Thomas Scargill
Sheffield cutler, early 19th century

scargill seems a common sheffield name, also previously written as skargell sometimes.

A full day and not a single bite? Wow it MUST be rare :) either way I honed her up and she got me good and smooth, may be my best shaving one yet. Bbs all over and darn close on neck area which is always a rough spot for me.
You have a very old razor circa 1830 or before. These can sell in the $300 range in the condition as yours. The short "stubby" tang is the giveaway. The scales were straight and not curved as later.

Thanks for the input everyone! Glad that even if the 300 is a high estimate I’m still significantly lower than that! It’s a great shaver, the tang felt difficult to adjust to since its short and wide, but it was good!

Top Bottom