What's new

T-Rexes (Rex Club)

Just to be up front, this really isn't about the price of the razor, but about a very special gift. It doesn't matter if it is a "Rolex" of razors (and I do like well made watches), but it is a gift that makes me feel humble and appreciative that a member here was willing to entrust such an incredible item to me, one that I can't begin to justify the for myself.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Congratulations on this precious gift.

Many people describe the Rex ambassador as a boutique timepiece, and I think it is very appropriate; although its polishing process is not as high as the Wolfman level, all the design details, up to ten machined parts and the handle that attract the finger... all show that the ambassador is definitely the best among modern razors.

Just to be up front, this really isn't about the price of the razor, but about a very special gift. It doesn't matter if it is a "Rolex" of razors (and I do like well made watches), but it is a gift that makes me feel humble and appreciative that a member here was willing to entrust such an incredible item to me, one that I can't begin to justify the for myself.

I hear what you're saying @Lightcs1776, but once the thread is public, it usually takes "its own course"... freedom of speech I guess 😀

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The rex in 2021 is the god tier of razors and it's made of 316L stainless steel. Very few razors out there could match this.

Gillette DE razors in the 60s were peasant tier. And it's made of brass. It's for the common man.
Interesting, which razors do you think were 'god tier' in the 1960s and not intended for the peasants?

Interesting, which razors do you think were 'god tier' in the 1960s and not intended for the peasants?
I wish I knew but I wasn't even born in the 60s and I'm not a vintage gillette expert.

But there were expensive gillette in the 50s and 60s targeting executives and rich people. I don't remember the names but I do remember them being gold and came in velvet boxes. I think 50 years ago they cost as much as a rex today after inflation.

The '60s were a few years before "my time", but I'm a history buff who grew up with more adults than kids around, if that counts! :001_302:

Aside from the 24 carat plated Gillettes, I honestly don't know of any. Shaving was generally more mundane, with no particular incentive for "high end" materials. Brass is brass, and you plate it to make it more precious.

Shaving being treated like hot-rod building is a thoroughly modern thing. Prior to that would have been the beginning of the bronze age when metal razors would have bern more an artisian product, then the advent of the iron age, with longer lasting metal becoming available, followed by the Safety Razor culture created by Gillette.

I'm with you on this one @EclipseRedRing and although I was only born in 1973, I am going to make an educated guess that no razor was considered an object of art ("god tier") back in the 60's. It was a simple utility designed for the daily chore of shaving.

I was there. Razors weren't anything other than ordinary purchases from the drug store or relatively new department stores such as Roses and Woolworths. Where I lived there were a couple of jewelry stores in town but rarely would someone go into one. Our watches were manual wind, not quartz just yet. So no reason to shop at the jewelers. Disposable income wasn't what it is today and the average person wouldn't spend money on such an extravagance as a gold or rhodium plated razor.

Very few folks did mail order and mostly from Western Auto or the Sears counter. The internet didn't exist and shopping out of town was unheard of.

Times were different, more simple, and things were made to last, mostly USA made.

This afternoon I received a Rex Ambassador adjustable razor, an incredibly generous gift from a forum member. I am still a bit uneasy for having accepted something so nice, but I am very grateful. There is no way I would have purchased one myself. I typically use a Gillette Fatboy, which was also gifted to me a couple of years ago. The Fatboy is great, but the Ambassador definitely takes it up a notch, actually a few notches. The quality is impeccable and the adjustment is stepless, so you can really dial in the perfect setting. The satin steel is impressive. I started at setting three for the first pass pass of the shave, then moved to settling six, the most aggressive setting. I think somewhere between four and five may be perfect, but I haven't ruled out six. If anyone is looking to obtain a premium razor, this should definitely be a contender. One of my great, great, great grandchildren will be using this razor every as it is likely indescribable.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Very nice razor I think I might know the producer of that razor maybe LOL

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented