What's new

T-Rexes (Rex Club)

So my Rex has finally landed
It is a delightful object :001_wub:

Couple of observations
It is very small in the hand, I somehow thought the handle would be a tad longer, not that I mind I was just surprised, especially with how heavy it is relatively speaking
The knurling is really well done and the adjustment mechanism very smooth

I am looking forward to shaving with it later tonight

Couple of observations
It is very small in the hand, I somehow thought the handle would be a tad longer, not that I mind I was just surprised, especially with how heavy it is relatively speaking

Congrats! Excellent choice amigo. Happy shaves..... :shaving:

Couple of observations

What is your impression of the razor now that you have shaved with it?

What is your impression of the razor now that you have shaved with it?

I have 3 adjustables, a futur, a slim and the Rex

Despite it being for me quite small in my hand I found it very easy to use

I shaved both my head and face with it
I started on 4 and worked down through 3 and 2 on both my head and face

It is much more forgiving than both the futur and the slim, I got a very close shave with 2 wtg passes and 1 xtg
Until i have shaved with it a few times i wont go atg

As I said before the knurling is deep, there is no chance the adjustment knob will move mid shave, it is a really well made, solid item

It has only been 1 shave, I am going to shave again later but I am very impressed

I used Gillette 7oclock yellows as I have found them to be the most comfortable blade for me and it was smooth
Minimal feedback from the alum block on the back of my head but face and neck were irritation free

Apologies if this is a bit of a ramble I am writing it on the way to the gym :a20:

Cheers
Art

I have 3 adjustables, a futur, a slim and the Rex

Despite it being for me quite small in my hand I found it very easy to use

I shaved both my head and face with it
I started on 4 and worked down through 3 and 2 on both my head and face

It is much more forgiving than both the futur and the slim, I got a very close shave with 2 wtg passes and 1 xtg
Until i have shaved with it a few times i wont go atg

As I said before the knurling is deep, there is no chance the adjustment knob will move mid shave, it is a really well made, solid item

It has only been 1 shave, I am going to shave again later but I am very impressed

I used Gillette 7oclock yellows as I have found them to be the most comfortable blade for me and it was smooth
Minimal feedback from the alum block on the back of my head but face and neck were irritation free

Apologies if this is a bit of a ramble I am writing it on the way to the gym :a20:

Cheers
Art
Glad you had a good first experience. Happy shaving!

Thanks for the review @arthur101980 ! I also like the Rex at the 3 to 4 range. Have fun! :)

I was using some of my 3 piece razors for the last two weeks so as to assess if I will keep them. I feel that I don't need the clutter. Today, I returned to the Rex and had once again a wonderful shave!
I'm very happy I got the chance to acquire it. :a29:

Happy shaves everyone! :001_smile

Hi folks, I have an N4 I picked up couple months ago, it too as mentioned has the "catching" bottom knob issue, the good folks at RE are sending a new bottom knob assembly which will sort the issue. That aside i'm finding Rex a treat to use, smooth and so efficient, i'd been using '67 Slim for couple years which is a fine razor, Rex just takes it to another level, well done Rex Supply Co.
New bottom knob arrived and was very simple to install, "catching" problem has vanished, good one Rex Supply Co!

I was using some of my 3 piece razors for the last two weeks so as to assess if I will keep them. I feel that I don't need the clutter. Today, I returned to the Rex and had once again a wonderful shave!
+1

Last weekend I went back to a Parker Variant to see how it measured up...I had mothballed it back in Nov.17' when I bought the Rex Ambassador. I did a side by side (left/right) comparison. Using the same blade (already one full shave in) I started with the Variant and the shave was rough to be specific, it felt like the blade angle was wrong and I was scraping, not cutting the hairs; adjusting the setting made little different. After just one pass there remained no doubt about which razor was superior. I decided to put the PV down for good and finish the shave with the RA.
I will PIF or sell/trade the Parker in the near future.

Here is my initial review:
I prefer vintage Gillettes, with the RFB NEW, #16 and Fatboy sitting at the top of my list. I recently ventured out into modern safety razors, the Rockwell 6s being my first. I heard a lot of praise for the Rex, and after several shaves I am quite taken with it.

I have sensitive skin, so setting 4 on the Rockwell and 3 on the fatboy is more than enough.

I gave her a spin on 3.5 WTG and 2 ATG. Very easy to find the angle. The Rex holds the blade very rigid, so no chatter or issue in my trouble spots.

Has the efficieny of plate 6 on the Rockwell while being close in smoothness, and that's only at 3.5. I am prone to bumps so I'm picky about my razors, no problems here. 3.5 is still a bit much, 2.6 seems to be about the sweet spot for me after several shaves.

The Rex excels in the ATG pass, very smooth and easy to find the angle. No third pass needed as I'm sitting with true BBS after 2 passes. Really long lasting shave too over 6 hours later and no stubble.

Knurling is fantastic, it really grabs! Really fantastic shaver. One of the best razors in my den.
View attachment 904698 View attachment 904699 View attachment 904700

I am interested in your opinions on how it stacks up against the RFB NEW & #16 Brit.

Primarily the #16 as that is one smooth shaver.

+1

Last weekend I went back to a Parker Variant to see how it measured up...I had mothballed it back in Nov.17' when I bought the Rex Ambassador. I did a side by side (left/right) comparison. Using the same blade (already one full shave in) I started with the Variant and the shave was rough to be specific, it felt like the blade angle was wrong and I was scraping, not cutting the hairs; adjusting the setting made little different. After just one pass there remained no doubt about which razor was superior. I decided to put the PV down for good and finish the shave with the RA.
I will PIF or sell/trade the Parker in the near future.

I have the Variant's older "brother", the Progress. I get good shaves from it (I consider it my second best razor), so I am inclined to keep it as a travel razor. I would hate losing the Rex. However, if I were to keep only one, that would be the Rex. Nothing in my relatively small collection beats the Rex for irritation-free, long lasting, close shaves. Every single day.

I usually travel with a cartridge razor as I have little interest in donating anything to TSA (no offense meant to any TSA workers).

I am interested in your opinions on how it stacks up against the RFB NEW & #16 Brit.

Primarily the #16 as that is one smooth shaver.

Well over a year later and the Rex has become one of my favorite razors. I use it at 3 or 4 now and just amazed at how good it is. It beats the #16 in how close the shave is, not quite as smooth but still in the smooth side of things. The RFB is fantastic but just a hair too aggressive for daily shaving on my face. Only the 6s and 1st Gen British OC are in the same league.

The head geometry inspired by the Gibbs makes finding the angle easy, and the blade exposure is just perfect IMO.

Well over a year later and the Rex has become one of my favorite razors. I use it at 3 or 4 now and just amazed at how good it is. It beats the #16 in how close the shave is, not quite as smooth but still in the smooth side of things. The RFB is fantastic but just a hair too aggressive for daily shaving on my face. Only the 6s and 1st Gen British OC are in the same league.

The head geometry inspired by the Gibbs makes finding the angle easy, and the blade exposure is just perfect IMO.

Thanks very much for the reply.

In case you are wondering why I am asking is I am debating getting a Rex.

I have 2x 1st generation Brit OC I don't find them "OMG wow" smooth like my #16 but they are more efficient is that why you think it compares well to the Rex as in the efficiency/smoothness combo it has going on or is it something else?

I know YMMV & all that but I am interested as this Rex would cost more than my 2x 1st gen Brits combined

Yeah it’s got that #15 efficiency in two passes, while being smoother. You could always wait on the Rex envoy which is a more affordable three piece version of the Rex approximating setting 3.

Three piece version of the Rex in the works, supposed to be around setting 3 and in the $125 range. I’m excited to try it out, 3 piece razors feel like less can go wrong with them compared to TTO and adjustables.

Picture from website
A0493820-D2D7-43EE-A703-A80658D74A82.jpeg

Top Bottom