What's new

T.R. Cadman & Sons Ltd. ⅝ "Bengall"

I bring this thread back because I just pulled my Bengall out of hibernation. I remembered that my last shave with it was not very smooth, so away it went as I had other toys to shave with. I took it out a little over a week ago and made it through a shave, though it tugged pretty bad. I decided a touch up on the hones was in order, so I ran it through a soft to black Ark progression. Been shaving with it the past 6 or 7 times I´ve shaved. It´s still not magic for me. This was my very first straight razor, obtained in a trade with a friend. It is in very good shape and it will forever have a place in my home... but it just doesn´t shave as smooth as most of my other razors.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@5whiskey, if you are an experienced SR shaver, I think that you have a honing problem. My six T.R. Cadman "Bengall" SR's all shave beautifully.

My Bengalls get honed up on synthetics and then finished on diamond pasted balsa strops (0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm).

@5whiskey, if you are an experienced SR shaver, I think that you have a honing problem. My six T.R. Cadman "Bengall" SR's all shave beautifully.

My Bengalls get honed up on synthetics and then finished on diamond pasted balsa strops (0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm).
Ehhh I don´t think it is a honing problem, though I could be wrong. I hone all of my razors myself, and yes I have gone from the ¨barely able to get adequate results" to "dang that was a nice shave" stages of experience. My Bengall still gives me fits. I´m not saying it´s the worst razor ever. Just that it isn´t the best.

Nonetheless, I do like the razor so eventually I will unlock it´s secret.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I did a three-razor shave this morning.

• ¾ "Bengall" WTG all over.
  • ¾ "Bengall" XTG all over except the upper lip.
  • ⅝ "Bengall" No. 1 ATG upper lip right-hand side.
  • ⅝ "Bengall" No. 2 ATG upper lip left-hand side.
  • ¾ "Bengall" XTG all over except the upper lip.

For the life of me, I couldn't notice any difference between the two ⅝ "Bengall" SR's. Their edges must be of the same high quality. As for the ¾ "Bengall", that blade performed flawlessly as expected.

I think that my next matching seven-day set will be of ⅝ "Bengall" SR's. They are a pleasure to shave with, for a small bladed SR.

Now all I need is another five matching ⅝ "Bengall" SR's to complete the set. One of those give is still on its way from @cotedupy . Four more to find.

The seven-day set case is one I purchased from Shavers Delight (UK). Very good quality and highly recommend with great shipping rates. This should be good a M7DS travel case.
Pick up a 4/8 if possible. They are phenomenal.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A few weeks ago I received what I thought would be the last Cadman "Bengall" for my travelling seven-day set. Purchased off eBay, there was a reasonable chance that it was going to be a dud. It was. The blade's had been fired by the previous owner (not the vendor) and the temper was ruined. When I pointed this out to the vendor, he refunded me in full and told me that I could keep the SR. At least I got a good set of Bengall scales for my trouble.

There was another Cadman "Bengall" on eBay that I had my eye on for a while but that vendor was asking a ridiculously high price. I had been in contact with him a few times to halve his asking price. He wouldn't budge for a few months. Then, about mid December I noticed that he halved his asking price. This was at about the same time as I received my dud "Bengall". I then got the vendor to drop the price a little more and I bought it.

My eigth "Bengall" arrived this morning. A pre 1924 with ¾ blade and Dutch (round) point. The only defect was some light surface oxidisation on the blade and a broken scale near the pivot pin. Fortunately I have the scales from the dud "Bengall".

IMG_20211231_141505.jpg
A bit of a polish with Autosol removed almost all of the oxidisation from the blade. I then set the bevel on a 1k synthetic followed by a 3k. I haven't touched the shank or tail yet. I will attend to those areas during the scales replacement.

It's not looking too bad now. I will finish its honing over the weekend and book it in for a shave this coming Friday.

IMG_20211231_163043.jpg

IMG_20211231_163023.jpg
This seven-day set looks like coming together, provided the scale replacement all works out.

Top Bottom