What's new

T.R. Cadman & Sons - Incorporation?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I notice that some T.R. Cadman "Bengall" SR's have their shank/tang marked "T.R. CADMAN & SONS LDT" and others only have "T.R. CADMAN & SONS". Does anyone know when the business was incorporated?

Knowing this may help me in determine the manufacturing era of some of my Bengalls. The business started about 1745, closed 1965 and incorporated sometime before about 1940 when they stopped making SR's.

1924! At this time Thomas Radley Cadman jun. was director of the company and it was located at St. Mary's road. During WW2 they moved to Matilda Lane and began to produce blades and scissors. In 1924 the Cadman company still had been traditional razor makers.

Luke Cadman moved to Sheffield in 1740 and began his work in the cutlery trade as apprentice. He became a freeman of the Company of cuttlers in 1748 and was granted the mark "Bengall" in that year.

Regards Peter

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have two, a 6/8 and a 4/8, and both are “Ltd”. Whenever they were made, they were made well. Both are favorites.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Interesting thread. I have 5/8 that has only "BENGALL" stamped on the tang on the show side. Nothing on the reverse. I'm curious if it was manufactured by T. R. Cadman or some other licensed manufacturer. Excellent shaver in any case.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here are two of my T.R. Cadman & Sons Bengall SR's. The top one is without the "LTD" and the bottom one is with the "LTD".

I also noticed that my Bengalls without the "LTD" are also without jimps.

IMG_20210914_130117.jpg

Here is a very old Bengall razor from the early years of the company in the 18th century.

IMG_6960.JPG

You can see that the mark BEN_GALL is written in two lines. This is how the mark was registered in 1748.

IMG_6962.JPG

You can still see this writing of the mark in Sketchley’s directory of Sheffield in 1774.

Begall_Sketchleys.jpg

Gales & Martin 1787 already show the mark in one word.

Begall_Gales_Martin.jpg

Doesn’t mean that there won’t exist maybe younger razors that show the two line version, but I haven’t seen any 19th century BEN_GALLS so far.

Regards Peter

Top Bottom