What's new

T&H small super badger comparison

One shave does not make for a good review. So, this is more of a size comparison with a few comments thrown in for good measure. First, this brush came in a kit from Ashfords with a tube of T&H almond shaving cream, plus a bottle of T&H classic ASB, and the brush. All for $60.00.

I took it in and whipped up a tremendous amount of lather using just a little T&H 1805 cream. (I thought it only fitting). Here's the brush after 3 1/2 passes.

full

Side by side with my Edwin Jagger for C&E best badger brush (a small brush also).
full

And from the top. Notice how dark the T&H is.

full

This may be the softest brush I own. If you're looking for a stiff brush, this isn't it. It is a very luxurious lather maker for not a lot of money.

I wouldn't have purchased this brush by itself because of its size, but since it was part of a kit.....it gets the nod:yesnod:

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Jerry. I got the (slightly) bigger T&H brush in ebony, and it is a performer also. I actually like the smaller brushes; in no way are you limited in lather with them as some would believe. In fact, I am off to shave with this brush right now.:wink:

A question from the newbie...what difference does the knot size play in the process? Is it just personal preference?
Crawdad

Crawdad said:
A question from the newbie...what difference does the knot size play in the process? Is it just personal preference?
Crawdad

Crawad:

I would say personal preference is the key. The little T&H brush is about a 20mm knot. I have brushes up to 28mm knot size and enjoy them all. Some like small brushes for their ability to get them in tight places and not end up with shaving cream in their ears. Some prefer the large brushes for the luxurious feel and the voluminous amount of hair against your face.

The size of shaving bowl or shave soap sometimes comes into play. If it's a small container, a small brush may work better. I say may becuase everyone has different skill levels and different techniques.

My brush variety adds as much enjoyment to my shaves as my creams, soaps, and razors. A little SBAD never hurt anyone...unless SWMBO finds out!:scared:

Jerry

Jerry summed it up perfectly. If you are using a bowl, any brush will give you more lather than you could possible need. The rest is preference, feel, and (perhaps) heat retention.

Top Bottom