What's new

System for both sides of a DE blade?

I have read several posts here discussing shaving with a DE razor and DE blades, but I don't recall any advice on switching between the two edges of a DE blade.

I suppose one could switch between sides during a single shave (e.g., one half of the face with one side, one half with the other). Alternatively, you could switch between edges on different days. What's your technique?

Thanks,

I and I assumed many many others use both sides all the time. In other words, I makes a few strokes with one side, flip it to the clean side and make a few strokes with it, then rinse... Effectively cutting "rinsing" down by half...

rusirius said:
I and I assumed many many others use both sides all the time. In other words, I makes a few strokes with one side, flip it to the clean side and make a few strokes with it, then rinse... Effectively cutting "rinsing" down by half...

This is my method... and I think that it is the method used by many here... am I right?

rusirius said:

Yeah....What he said...:wink2:

I always collect water in the sink for rinsing the razor, and just give it a
half twist after a shake in the water...

rusirius said:

That's the way I do it baby!!
proxy.php

rusirius said:

Yeah, for some reason or other, the first day or two of using a DE razor I thought I would be all "efficient" and actually keep track of which side I was using. I guess I thought I could then know exactly how much of each side I had used?? But I just use both sides now. The efficiency part comes in not having to switch hands or make too many twists of the handle since I can use either side.:wink: Like one side for N-S, and then just turn it over for S-N against the grain pass.

I shave in quadrants, pretty similar to the 3x cutting forms but slightly modified to suit my needs. I flip sides every time I change quadrant. Works well to equally work both edges of the blade.

I use a merkur HD and a slant, and if my eye does not deceive me, I feel like on each razor one side has slightly more blade exposed than the other. Nothing drastic, but just a bit more on one side than the other, almost like it has two settings. Anyone else notice this, or am I making something out of nothing?

rusirius said:
Yup, that's my system.

I have my razors marked "Odd" on one side and "Even" on the other. Each morning I go to www.random.org and generate a list of numbers. I consult the list before each stroke and use the appropriate side of the razor.

:biggrin:

Hello Slider,

What you say about the blade exposure being different on each edge of the Merkur is true. Very slight, but true. Could be the reason I get better shaves with my vintage Gillettes. The head geometry being different on the Gillettes could also be a contributing factor in the shaves.

I take a few strokes, flip the razor around and take a few more strokes, rinse, flip, etc. Simple reason why a DE will last twice as long as a single edge.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

rusirius said:
Ditto

I don't shave, I just flip the razor continuous during my morning ritual...

Ow wait, yes I do shave. Every 2 or 3 strokes I flip the razor, makes it go quicker and more efficient.

I love this question! Every few months someone asks... Therefore, I am keeping it a secret that I switch edges every stroke or two..

Top Bottom