What's new

System for both sides of a DE blade?

guenron said:
I love this question! Every few months someone asks... Therefore, I am keeping it a secret that I switch edges every stroke or two..
Hi Ron, thanks for confirming you switch every stroke or two. :001_smile

Much appreciated! :thumbup1:

I must be really weird.
I know that I get three shaves a side on the personnas I use.
I've marked with a sharpie on the underside of one side of the razor and simply use one side for three days and use the other side for the other three.
If I use the fatboy, I can tell by the number settings which side I am on.
This way I never have to guess whether the blade is getting dull or not.
How do you guys tell when you do the "rinse and flip" routine when it is time to change the blade until it is too late?
And then do you change it in mid-shave?
I would use this method if I could figure that kind of stuff out.
I guess I am just too ocd to not know exactly how much I have left.
-phil

J_P_K said:
I have my razors marked "Odd" on one side and "Even" on the other. Each morning I go to www.random.org and generate a list of numbers. I consult the list before each stroke and use the appropriate side of the razor.

:biggrin:

I dont care who you are...thats funny !
Thats comedy, Baby.:laugh:

giraffejumper said:
I must be really weird.

Well, maybe. :wink: But aren't we all. I mean, really. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my solution is, once I have an idea how long a particular blade will last, I just use it almost that long, then change. It is true that I may not use the sides exactly the same amount, but by flipping and rinsing and general randomness, it is pretty close. So if one edge of a feather will last me about 4 days, the whole blade will last me about 8. So I just replace after a week or so, if I haven't already. Really, it isn't that much less precise than your method, and does not require finding out the hard way that it is time to change. The only difference is that one edge may get used slightly more due to randomness. It is so little difference, though, that it doesn't matter, IMO. And it definitely is not worth introducing more complication and things to check and worry about into a relaxation exercise to do anything more precise.

Anyway, I tend to change setups once a week or less, anyway, and usually change the blade when I do so. Waste a little blade life that way, but not so much, really...

I used to use one side for the first pass then another side for the next, but after a few months switched to just using the both sides whenever. Switch when it fills with cream, don't worry too much about keeping track of which side is getting used more, just take two swipes or three with one side, then two with the other, rinse, repeat.

Top Bottom