What's new

Synthetics without glue bumps?

I guess I'm just lucky as I don't have any of my synthetics with a glue bump. I can see why some guys are peeved over this & I would be as well.

The glue bump would effect the splay of the brush over anything else. Makes the knot very springy and more force is needed to splay naturally.
^^This!

It is not the presence of a glue bump per se...
Is the excess of it. To much of a glue bump can cause a knot to be very springy, not allowing it to splay naturally and causing an excessive backbone. Barely the description of my Maggards 26mm...
Of course, there are other factors that can be the cause, like a very strong fibre or an excessive density. But I can easily imagine my Maggards 26mm being a great brush if the glue bump wasn't present.

One more word for Yaqi...
I’ve said that I’ve found huge glue bumps on every Yaqi that I’ve tried. However, that’s not true. There is an exception.

I have a Yaqi Moka Expresso with brown synthetic knot where the glue bump is not present and that’s the best Yaqi brush that I’ve tried. A very nice brush indeed, but not amongst the favorites.

Last edited:
oversaturn, Semogue has a synthetic?
That would be most interesting.

Yes.

Semogue made a limited edition synthethic for another forum last year.

proxy.php

proxy.php

There's also the brush that Semogue made for the Couto brand... but that is a smaller knot:

proxy.php

I'd also add that a lot of knots have glue bumps that are larger than the norm but not everyone views them as being small, large, or indifferent to others. What I'm trying to say is 2 knots can have the same glue bump but 2 different people see it in a different view with one seeing it as large and the other not...

It has recently come to light that a few knots out there have inverted hairs and that is why some knots are more springy than someone else's yet the glue knot has been named as the culprit in the past. The hairs of a synthetic brush are tapered with the glued side of the hair being thicker than the actual tip and that is what causes this problem.

Yes.
AFAIK, Semogue is using the very same fibre that Plisson uses.

They also have made prototypes with the silvertip fibre, but the decision was to use the Plisson fibre.
I'm lucky enough to have one of the prototypes:

proxy.php

That prototype is a great looking brush. Having used Plissons and STF brushes, I would never choose the Plisson over the STF. I wonder why they made that decision?

Glue bump in my opinion is not a problem as long as splay and backbone are in your preference . I have one with very little bump, which is a Yaqi Rainbow.

Whats the general objection to the glue bump? Looks feel or splay?
the chubby 2 has none but splays like a brick. The rr beehive has a large bump but spreads out with ease.
is it a ymmv thing or something else?

+1. I have 3 Yaqi synthetics with more or less glue bumps. They perform pretty much the same. I don't see that this is a big issue.

That prototype is a great looking brush. Having used Plissons and STF brushes, I would never choose the Plisson over the STF. I wonder why they made that decision?

Well, never say never...! ;)

The initial intention was to use STF indeed.

However, Semogue made several prototypes using STF, and sent them for test to an array of several users. However, the STF prototypes failed to impress the user that were testing them (including myself). They didn't splay naturally, and had to much springiness.

At one point, there was a suggestion to use the Plisson fibre. Semogue got that fibre, made some prototypes with it and boom, those were the winners in the tester's preferences, by far.

Last edited:
Well, never say never...! ;)

The initial intention was to use STF indeed.

However, Semogue made several prototypes using STF, and sent them for test to an array of several users. However, the STF prototypes failed to impress the user that were testing them (including myself). They didn't splay naturally, and had to much springiness.

At one point, there was a suggestion to use the Plisson fibre. Semogue got that fibre, made some prototypes with it and boom, those were the winners in the tester's preferences, by far.

Interesting. I've owned brushes with two Plisson-style knots. One had the largest glue bump ever. It was unpleasant to use, so I now use it for fly tying material. The other was pretty good, but doesn't cut it vs my Simpson or brush w/Muhle knot. YMMV indeed

Well... I've found noticeable differences between the Plisson knots (the ones from Plisson, like the Plisson L'Occitane or the Plisson-made Maison du Barbier brushes) and the "Plisson-like" knots (like Yaqi, Maggards and all the chinese Plisson-lookalike knots and re-brands).

The Plisson knot has the softest tips that I've found on a synthetic, period.
Every "Plisson lookalike knots" (Yaqi, Maggards and the like) that I've tried had nice tips, but not as soft as the Plisson.

AFAIK, the fibre used by Semogue was the same that Plisson uses, so perhaps that detail made the difference.

Is Semogue synthetic still in testing or development? I dont see any for sale

The blue synthetic brush was a Limited Edition for a Portuguese shaving forum, as I've said before.
There is another synthetic that they made for the "Couto" brand (e.g. look for "Couto Coffret nº 6" @ G&C). But it is a small brush, not as good as the Limited Edition one

I'm sure they'll release their own line of synthetics in the near future. But God only knows when it will happen...!

Last edited:
Top Bottom