What's new

Synthetics: Where Do I Go From Here?

I'm not one to have 20 brushes sitting around. When I joined B&B years (maybe 10 years ago?) I got in on a group buy of a badger brush. I've been using that exclusively until maybe a year or two ago when I purchased a Semogue 830 boar brush, and to my surprise I really like it. Synthetics weren't much of a thing back when I started wet shaving. Still, I've been curious about all of the talk with synthetics, so when I was at Merz Apothecary in Chicago the gentleman sold me on a Fine Stout synthetic. It's been the brush I use for travel, but being a face latherer, the brush doesn't splay like the Semogue does. With it being a smaller brush I thought a bigger one would be the ticket, so I went to the other extreme and purchased a Maggard 24mm Black & White. Seems like it does better with the splay but, not surprisingly, a bit too big for my liking.

Maybe I'm just a boar brush kinda guy at this point, but don't want to rule out synthetics completely. What makes things a bit more difficult is that I'm not a fan of all these crazy neon colors and designs that are on brush handles that seems to be the trend. The traditional look of Simpson brushes appeal to me, but don't want to be dropping $100-$200 dollars on badger brushes if my preference turns out to be boars.

So, I guess my question is, is there a synthetic out there that you gentleman would recommend? I don't mind paying a premium for a synthetic if it has similar qualities as the Semogue and I'd use it in my very small brush rotation.

I like the Muhle Silvertip Fiber synthetic brush in 23mm. Jagger also uses the same fiber and costs a bit less than the Muhle. You can get either one from Connaught for less than most places here.

I like the Muhle Silvertip Fiber synthetic brush in 23mm. Jagger also uses the same fiber and costs a bit less than the Muhle. You can get either one from Connaught for less than most places here.

This is my suggestion too!

I'm a fan of Yaqi synthetics but for the OP's requirements, I also feel the muhle/EJ silvertip fibre would be most suitable.

If you're considering the Edwin Jagger, which has a reputation as having more splay that many synthetics, and don't want something too big, I'd probably look at their imitation ivory brush in medium. You get the elegant English style persian jar handle and a 21mm 3-band synthetic knot. Right now I see it priced at £22 for US buyers, which at the current exchange rate is very reasonable.

You can get that handle with a pure badger knot for a little less money or a best badger knot for a little more.

Thuse look like great suggestions! Thanks for the input. I'm digging the faux ivory handles.

I'd say take a look at Stirling synthetics or Razorock Synthetics. They seem to have a variety of synthetics that many people enjoy. A Tuxedo Stirling brush is a great start.

I'd say take a look at Stirling synthetics or Razorock Synthetics. They seem to have a variety of synthetics that many people enjoy. A Tuxedo Stirling brush is a great start.
I'm not in the market for another brush (yet), but this one looks great, with its retro (almost Art Deco?) vibe. Low price too, so it's on my short list.

proxy.php

Also maybe an APShaveCo Cashmere, but I'm dithering about a handle. The "Winter" handle is nice, but maybe too big for my tastes. Also reasonably priced.
I do like my 24 mm SynBad with the "Blue Lagoon" handle, but it may be too flashy for the OP.

I'm not in the market for another brush (yet), but this one looks great, with its retro (almost Art Deco?) vibe. Low price too, so it's on my short list.

proxy.php

Also maybe an APShaveCo Cashmere, but I'm dithering about a handle. The "Winter" handle is nice, but maybe too big for my tastes. Also reasonably priced.
I do like my 24 mm SynBad with the "Blue Lagoon" handle, but it may be too flashy for the OP.
Yup. That's the one I'm talking about. I have similar Yaqi synthetics and those give good performance for excellent value. Also, they're very easy to take care of so another plus.

proxy.php

Is it as skritchy as badger?

After using nothing but synths I just discovered boars a couple of weeks ago and I'm well and truly hooked - so much more character and face feel.

So I'd say forget synths - they're all more alike than different (I have 7) - just different sizes and handles. They work beautifully and do the job maybe better than anything, but I wouldn't say they have much personality. Get some more boars. Now they can be really different from one another. How about a nice Semogue SOC?

After using nothing but synths I just discovered boars a couple of weeks ago and I'm well and truly hooked - so much more character and face feel.

So I'd say forget synths - they're all more alike than different (I have 7) - just different sizes and handles. They work beautifully and do the job maybe better than anything, but I wouldn't say they have much personality. Get some more boars. Now they can be really different from one another. How about a nice Semogue SOC?

If I was to get another boar this would probably be the one I would pick up. Have had my eye on it for a while, and the price is right, too. Interesting perspective on the synthetics. Maybe I'm in the same boat, but haven't tried enough synthetics to make that determination yet. Always interests me how some people come to the opposite conclusion - once they tried a synthetic they stopped using their badger and boar hair brushes.

If I was to get another boar this would probably be the one I would pick up. Have had my eye on it for a while, and the price is right, too. Interesting perspective on the synthetics. Maybe I'm in the same boat, but haven't tried enough synthetics to make that determination yet. Always interests me how some people come to the opposite conclusion - once they tried a synthetic they stopped using their badger and boar hair brushes.
There's wide selection of synthetic and they are so soft and you can choose how much backbone you want and no special preparation. I did stop using my Stirling badger, which I need to sell, since I tried synthetic. I have Yaqi High Mountain White, which I used 3 times since I got it, but it is skritchy so needs more break in time. But more than a week ago I got Fanchurian badger on custom which fixed my BAD and which will be used twice a week but it costs more than $100. I read a lot about Manchurian badger and after multiple times of hesitation i decided to pull the trigger since price was right but many people prefer not to spend so much money and synthetic is perfect choice for the amount of money people usually willing to spend

Always interests me how some people come to the opposite conclusion - once they tried a synthetic they stopped using their badger and boar hair brushes.

I originally had a Maseto 26mm Silvertip - good brush. But as you say, once I tried a synthetic I stopped using the badger and sold it.

Boars, however, are completely different. If you group synths and badgers together for smoothness and efficiency, then boars are altogether a different animal.

I have a number of synthetic brushes. My two top synthetics are the Muhle Silvertip Fibre and the Shavemac synthetic. I happen to like badger brushes and these two are the closest to the feel of a badger. They have enough backbone to easily load the brush, splay enough for face lathering and hold enough soap for a four pass face shave and two pass head shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't know anything much about synthetics. I do know about the several Zenith brushes I have and their nice and classic, old fashioned looking handles. Not saying the handles are just like the ones you like. If Zenith synthetics are as good as Zenith Manchurians and boars they're very good indeed.

5-28-19.Zenith.HorseHair.507N:BR XS.640.JPG

One of my favorite Zeniths (and perhaps my very favorite handle style) is this brush which is not a boar. It's also not a badger. Nor a synthetic. It's soft horse.

Simpson makes a lot of handle styles.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yeah, I don't feel bad about abusing synths.
I am more likely to mash them all around a soap puck to load them, yet they don't lose fibers and still keep their shape.
Although traveling with synthetics is kind of a pain. After my travels, I took out my synthetic and it was jumbled up into a mess. It doesn't revert back to the original form so that sucks, but it should still perform well regardless.

I have a few synthetic brushes but my favorite is the cheapest one. It came pretty much free with the first mug I bought from fendrihan. I have no info on the crush besides that. I'll look into it.

Top Bottom