What's new

Synthetic x Badger Hair and why?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You must make up your own mind. The difficulty is that you will likely settle on something you like long before you could accumulate an example of everything that is out there, because man... there is a lot of stuff out there to try.

Boar, which isn't as simple as it seems because there are pre-treated and non pre-treated boar brushes.

Horse hair - Not sure if there are different grades, or if a particular horse type is used.

Synthetics from numerous manufacturers, varying in categories from hard and stiff to luxuriously soft and pliable.

Badger - ok, here's where it gets really tough because there are grades of hair from what seems like porcupine crossbreed to the magical high mountain yeti left rear leg Snyder cut manchurian water badger undercoat hair.

And finally you have the mixes. Boar and badger mix. Synthetic and badger mix. Horse hair and badger mix. I would expect that as the popularity of mixes grows that manufacturers will begin to turn out other compositions as well.

In the long run, you have to find what just works best for you in terms of making lather and comfort/feeling on your face. And that is often a trial and error process.

I first used boar, but then switched to synthetic brushes only.
Now I use and enjoy, boar, badger, and synthetic brushes equally. I really like the different characteristics of all of them.

Perhaps one day I'll try a horse hair brush, but I'm quite happy with what I have now.
The Zenith Horse Hair is very nice and affordable

Top Bottom