What's new

Synthetic Sundays!!!

We don't have any days of the week dedicated to brush use! There are razor days, blade weeks, soap months but aside from DecemBOAR, nothing for brushes.

To keep synthetics in my rotation I am planning on using my RV Muhle 25mm STF tomorrow and almost every Sunday afterwards!

Please feel free to post pics, discuss, compare, contrast and show off your synthetic brush shaves!

Who knows, this may kick off, Mondial/M&F Mondays, Two-band Tuesdays, Wald Wednesdays, Three Band Thursdays, Fridayaqi Fridays, Varlet Vendredi, Simpsons/Shavemac/SV Saturdays.

Personally, I love the Rolling Stones so if I ever get a Rooney brush, I might start a Rooney Tuesday thread too! :biggrin:

I'm using this tomorrow! RV special!
IMG_20221022_190417.jpg

I'd mentioned awhile back that I was going to order this Muhle STF brush:
proxy.php

I did order it but as I also placed an order for the Rocca Birch STF brush (and razor), decided to cancel this brush order. Too late but muhleshaving.com issued a return label at no charge. The brush finally arrived and I had to take a peek at it. Absolutely gorgeous and heavier than I imagined. But what surprised me was how floppy the bristles felt and how easily it splayed in my hand. Needless to say, as I was returning it, that's as much as I played with it. I'm not sure about these knots. However, as I ordered the Rocca birch razor and brush from shaving.ie in Ireland (at significantly lower prices than from muhleshaving.com), I will keep that brush as a return to Ireland would be a nuisance. I wonder how well this brush will perform? Same knot, same 21mm size, not as ergonomic a design as the Purist pictured above but I wonder if I'll like a still expensive STF knot?

I've come around to the Simpsons T2 and whatever unbranded chinese synth I have but I think my expectations from Muhle are a bit higher with all their hype about the STF knots. I have to wonder if these are just pretty packages that drive like a '72 Buick sedan? The 21mm knot based on the Purist sure seems floppy in without much substance/density.

Last edited:
I'd mentioned awhile back that I was going to order this Muhle STF brush:
proxy.php

I did order it but as I also placed an order for the Rocca Birch STF brush (and razor), decided to cancel this brush order. Too late but muhleshaving.com issued a return label at no charge. The brush finally arrived and I had to take a peek at it. Absolutely gorgeous and heavier than I imagined. But what surprised me was how floppy the bristles felt and how easily it splayed in my hand. Needless to say, as I was returning it, that's as much as I played with it. I'm not sure about these knots. However, as I ordered the Rocca birch razor and brush from shaving.ie in Ireland (at significantly lower prices than from muhleshaving.com), I will keep that brush as a return to Ireland would be a nuisance. I wonder how well this brush will perform? Same knot, same 21mm size, not as ergonomic a design as the Purist pictured above but I wonder if I'll like a still expensive STF knot?

I've come around to the Simpsons T2 and whatever unbranded chinese synth I have but I think my expectations from Muhle are a bit higher with all their hype about the STF knots. I have to wonder if these are just pretty packages that drive like a '72 Buick sedan? The 21mm knot based on the Purist sure seems floppy in without much substance/density.
I have 2 Synths. I have a Razor Rock Keyhole that I have never used. I tried bowl lathering with it and just didn't quite get the hang of it. With my Muhle STF I have been face lathering and it is really soft. The STF is 25mm knot and I feel it has adequate back bone. My RR is a 22mm knot and it also feels floppier.

Well, my synthetic Muhle Rocca Birch brush and razor showed up today. For whatever reason, this knot, the same one, apparently, as on the Muhle Karelian brush was much more what I'd hoped for in the STF knot (soft with some backbone). But frankly, the brush is more beautiful than special regarding the knot itself. It works about the same, slightly differently but not better or worse than my Trafalgar T2 or unbranded cheapie chinese brush. Nothing magical IMO. Still, it's so lovely to look at, it will get a fair bit of use!

fullsizeoutput_44f5.jpeg

Top Bottom