What's new

Synthetic Summer

I'll get in on this.

Over the past week I've acquired seven new synthetic brushes. This will be a good opportunity to begin breaking them in (yes synthetic brushes do break in, it's just not an enormous change) and really get a base familiarity with each of them.

I just pulled out my 4 Simpson synths. These 4 will be getting a lot of use in June. The 5th Simpson (Classic synth) was left at the cottage... ”by accident”. Damn. 😜

A5CB18F6-29E8-43D6-B347-F0A45B093C26.jpeg

After three months of back-to-back fixed events, I was looking forward to getting back to my other brushes. Here are the synthetic players on my roster and I plan to post SOTD pics as they come up in the rotation...

SynthSummer_20210531.jpg

Left to right are Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown, RazoRock 400 Noir Plissoft, Yaqi 30mm Boss, RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft, Stirling Tuxedo, and Yaqi 26mm Mysterious Space Tuxedo. I'm looking forward to the month of June. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:
Okay. I’m in. This is a good challenge because my synthetic brushes get NO love. None!

So. I hereby promise to use nothing but synthetic brushes from 06/01/2021 through 07/31/2021 or until my Shavemac Beagle arrives, whichever comes first.

The empty handle on the left is waiting for an AP Shaving G5 synthetic knot arriving any day now:

9E39B940-181D-4971-9172-A63653A76D03.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A.S.Razor shave, Tue, June 1st 2021

Razor: Everready 1924(AKA shovelhead)- Mfg-1924-33, great mid range, different way of loading blades from back, once dialed in it will give excellent shaves and a joy to use with great audio feedback. Takes a regular Gem blade that is one of the best.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Gillette PURE cream, nice refreshing scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 22mm Cola, 1st use of this new addition Den brush, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, not a lather hog, nice scrub + excellent lather painter. This would be a also for a excellent travel brush and regular Den use IMO.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG+ pickups.
Post shave: Pinaud clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my ER 1924 shovelhead with a coated Gem blade.

Brush collage June 1st 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Omega S-Brush 10049 Pro
OK... here we go... Day One! Although I never thought to keep them, I owned a few synthetics in my early years of shaving. They were nylon, and resembled old fashioned heavy duty fishing line. I think this stuff continued to evolve, and early in this century Omega sold a new version of it as 'syntex' fibre. Then around 2013 they improved it again, and sold a new line they called the 'S Brush.' It came in almost every style and size handle as their boar bristle. The S Brush appears to have been the end of the line for the tradition of 'fishing filament' synthetics, so I chose it today. This is the 10049 S Brush Pro. Incredibly soft tips, but it splays awkwardly, with 85% of the bristle going one way, and 15% the other. But it makes terrific lather, and used as a paintbrush it is as soft as a 5 year old boar. I remember thinking when I bought it that I'd never need to buy another synthetic brush, as this was as good as it gets. Eleventy seven brushes later I still say that with each new brush purchase. A few weeks after buying this one I bought the smaller 10005 S Brush with the wooden handle. The shorter loft made that one much easier to manouevre... more about that brush later in the month, I'm sure...

I also used a Gillette Silver Blue in a red tip Super Speed, JM Fraser's cream (always makes incredible lather), and I finished with Stephan Lilac after shave. Springtime freshness. I'm happy that I took this old brush out today. I enjoyed the shave. It was a lot of fun.

sotd 6 1 1.jpeg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (German)
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20201130_082737.jpg

Top Bottom