What's new

Synthetic Stones

I have a 1 and 5K now and wanted to add another synthetic stone to my arsenal prior to the natural stone onslaught finisher. I would finish with a coti, Escher, Jasper, or Jnat. Is it safe to jump from 5K to a 10K? Just curious. Was wondering if I should get an 8 or 10K stone? Thanks Gents.

Even though I have higher grit synth's I quite often switch to naturals after a well finished 5K edge so I would give that a try on your finishers before adding another synth.
I have a 10K stone and rarely use it, use my 8K's quite a bit.
5>10K jump sure it's safe, shoot me a PM.

Frank

Even though I have higher grit synth's I quite often switch to naturals after a well finished 5K edge so I would give that a try on your finishers before adding another synth.
I have a 10K stone and rarely use it, use my 8K's quite a bit.
5>10K jump sure it's safe, shoot me a PM.

Frank

Thanks a lot for the info. I appreciate it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Recently I received three synthetic whetstones; 400, 1k and 6k. Yesterday I used them for the first time to bevel-set 7 medium-hard (about 64 RHC) SR's. The whetstones worked wonderfully.

I did the heavy lifting with 400, set the bevel on 1k and finished the bevel on 6k. Today they will be refined on 5um, 3um and 1um lapping films before getting their diamond pasted balsa strop progression.

I have a 1 and 5K now and wanted to add another synthetic stone to my arsenal prior to the natural stone onslaught finisher. I would finish with a coti, Escher, Jasper, or Jnat. Is it safe to jump from 5K to a 10K? Just curious. Was wondering if I should get an 8 or 10K stone? Thanks Gents.

Going to a higher number anywhere from 1.5x to 3x higher, is unremarkable.
Doubling the number, is remarkably unremarkable.

Any good finisher can finish off 5k JIS easily.

1k/5k is a good combo for a synth progression previous to a natural finisher.

I’ve only been honing a few months, so take that into account, but you can certainly jump from 5 to 10. But, will you like the result is the question (?). Only one way to know for sure and that is to just try it and see how you like the shave. That being said, certainly won’t hurt anything to add an 8k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set the bevel on my 1k stone, then jump to 5k, zero issues. I bought them to dual use for razors and kitchen knives, since knives rarely if ever go above 5 or 6k.
After that, out comes the lapping film - 8k, 14k, 60, then an attempt at 500k. One of these days I'd like to get something inbetween 60k and 500k for a better progression, but in the meantime, my edges are pretty sharp

Top Bottom