What's new

Synthetic silver tip, any backbone?

I am thinking about putting together a couple brushes using Silver tip synthetic knots.

Never used a brush with a synthetic knot before.
I'm looking for good back bone and won't turn into a mop once wet and loaded. I myself do like scritch, I'm used to my pure badger brushes.

Looking at a 20mm and a 24mm out of shaveforge, have used several of there pure badger knots with no complaints!

But when it comes to synthetics, clueless! Are they the same as badgers, the deeper set the more back bone??

Real curious.

The synthetic silvertip brushes (aka silversynth) do a decent job of emulating real silvertip badger. However, if you like the scritch of pure badger, you might not like synthetics.

Most synthetic brushes are designed to be soft. They typically have no scritch, but a couple of them do tend to be a little scrubby. They are the "Ghost" knot which is white and the "Boss" knot which is black. I can confirm that the Boss knot is somewhat scrubby, but I have not tried the Ghost knot as it is not recommended for sensitive skin like mine. If you like pure badger, the Ghost knot is likely one of the few you might enjoy using.

I'm looking for good back bone and won't turn into a mop once wet and loaded.
No synthetic will ever feel like a badger. I find it bizarre that brush makers bother to copy the looks of real hair when they cannot replicate the feel of real hair. I've found the problem with most synthetic brushes is in the backbone department (and of course the feel), but if backbone is that important to you look no further than Simpsons Trafalger brushes. The T2 is a perfect sized brush. Some claim they've used the brush as a car jack.

+1, but it is still not going to be scritchy IMHO.
I love the Trafalgar T3. The T2 is a little too small for my preference. The brush has zero scritch or scrub. It is one of the very few brushes that is soft enough for me to use for face lathering. It is definitely not going to be anything like a pure badger, which I do not like at all.

I find that the Shavemac Synthetics have quite a bit of backbone, certainly more than my Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic Bristle and Mühle Silvertip Fibre series.

B.

if you want serious back bone in a synthetic, look at Maseto or Vikings blade... both very stiff, imo.

Last edited:
if backbone is that important to you look no further than Simpsons Trafalger brushes. The T2 is a perfect sized brush.
Good recommendation. Definitely soft with good backbone.
I love the Trafalgar T3. The T2 is a little too small for my preference. The brush has zero scritch or scrub. It is one of the very few brushes that is soft enough for me to use for face lathering. It is definitely not going to be anything like a pure badger, which I do not like at all.
If you like the Trafalgar T3 have you considered trying a Chubby 2 or 3 with the platinum grade synthetic knot? I have a Trafalgar in both the T2 and T3 with the sovereign grade and a Chubby 2 with the platinum grade. I find the Chubby 2 in platinum is softer with better backbone than the sovereign used in the Trafalgar series

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yaqi "Atlantis " has a knot that is close to a badger with some backbone. It might be a G4 I believe knot close enough for myself to the real McCoy. The hair tips feel close to a silvertip or a good 2band & are treated differently than other synthetic knots I own IMO. Even looks like a silvertip!
Yaqi #1 Atlantis 24 mm brush 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I use Badger, Boar and Synthetic brushes. They feel different but all are capable of excellent performance.

My preferred knots are the Mühle STF, AP Shave Co G5C Fan and Turn-N-Shave Original BOSS Fan. On my face, skin and beard, the G5C Fan has the most scrub and backbone. :)

Top Bottom