What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around

Will do! Thank you very much! Most kind!
I just thought of more work for you, that might increase interest. Perhaps drop 2 or 3 of the brushes for a few new models. A Yaqi and DS cosmetics come to mind if you can find donors.

I also thought of instead of the nylon, a well broken in boar (Omega Pro 10098) and a Pure or Best Badger from another donor. Just so non-BrAD people that might have only experienced beginner set versions can experience better representations, while still keeping the Synthetic the primary vision of the pass around. Receivers of the box will be requested to use the naturals early in their testing, so that plenty of drying time will exist.

Just some ideas.

I just thought of more work for you, that might increase interest. Perhaps drop 2 or 3 of the brushes for a few new models. A Yaqi and DS cosmetics come to mind if you can find donors.

I also thought of instead of the nylon, a well broken in boar (Omega Pro 10098) and a Pure or Best Badger from another donor. Just so non-BrAD people that might have only experienced beginner set versions can experience better representations, while still keeping the Synthetic the primary vision of the pass around. Receivers of the box will be requested to use the naturals early in their testing, so that plenty of drying time will exist.

Just some ideas.
These don't belong in a "synthetic" brush pass-around being natural bristles... The whole concept of the synthetic pass-around is to experience synthetic brushes!! I do like the idea of updating the brushes to a more current batch. I passed on this pass-around a long time ago because it seemed like 1/2 the included brushes weren't either not being made anymore or were or of a size that I just wouldn't even be interested in trying...

Part of my thinking as to why this has slowed down so much is that synthetic brushes nowadays are very inexpensive and most are willing to use the buy and try approach, then PIF or sell the ones they don't care for. Reviews and descriptions of how a brush feels and acts are better than they were even a year ago with terminology being more standardized. There is however the whole hygienic factor of something like this that freaks out some people too!!

These don't belong in a "synthetic" brush pass-around being natural bristles... The whole concept of the synthetic pass-around is to experience synthetic brushes!! I do like the idea of updating the brushes to a more current batch. I passed on this pass-around a long time ago because it seemed like 1/2 the included brushes weren't either not being made anymore or were or of a size that I just wouldn't even be interested in trying...

Part of my thinking as to why this has slowed down so much is that synthetic brushes nowadays are very inexpensive and most are willing to use the buy and try approach, then PIF or sell the ones they don't care for. Reviews and descriptions of how a brush feels and acts are better than they were even a year ago with terminology being more standardized. There is however the whole hygienic factor of something like this that freaks out some people too!!
From my perspective, you can better appreciate/comprehend things with a good base as a starting point. It(the suggestion) is geared with newer users in mind that might have only experienced one or the other type of brush, and a poor representation of the brush at that.

I won't mind not giving up my boar, perhaps for years. Just a suggestion to the OP to possibly increase interest.

There is the hygienic factor, but that didn't stop the box the last 2 years that it was going around.

From my perspective, you can better appreciate/comprehend things with a good base as a starting point. It(the suggestion) is geared with newer users in mind that might have only experienced one or the other type of brush, and a poor representation of the brush at that.

I won't mind not giving up my boar, perhaps for years. Just a suggestion to the OP to possibly increase interest.

There is the hygienic factor, but that didn't stop the box the last 2 years that it was going around.
I see what your getting at here but fail to think where the boar brush fits into a synthetic brush pass-around? I would again think that adding a few of the newer brushes on the market today would better sway someone to try the box though. As to the hygienic factor, if you read any part of the general discussion section of the forum you will better understand it. There have been a couple posts in the brush forum also that have gone wildly astray when discussing hygiene. It amazes me what freaks out some people today!! I was raised in the 60's so thats why I see most of it as nonsense, but some folks take it a little too seriously at times.

Just as a suggestion, I would like to see something like a comparison of knots made by the same Mfg'r, in this case Yaqi, compared with the same knots that are made by them for APShaveCo, TurnNShave, and Stirling to name a few... I think that would draw in some takers and it would help with better feedback as well...

I see what your getting at here but fail to think where the boar brush fits into a synthetic brush pass-around? I would again think that adding a few of the newer brushes on the market today would better sway someone to try the box though. As to the hygienic factor, if you read any part of the general discussion section of the forum you will better understand it. There have been a couple posts in the brush forum also that have gone wildly astray when discussing hygiene. It amazes me what freaks out some people today!! I was raised in the 60's so thats why I see most of it as nonsense, but some folks take it a little too seriously at times.

Just as a suggestion, I would like to see something like a comparison of knots made by the same Mfg'r, in this case Yaqi, compared with the same knots that are made by them for APShaveCo, TurnNShave, and Stirling to name a few... I think that would draw in some takers and it would help with better feedback as well...
Just as a reference point. How does the backbone compare to a boar? Such questions, and similar questions often occur in this forum. Replying that synth x1 compares to x2 and to x3 almost identically gives no framework for the tester to respond intelligibly. How/Is the s brush like a boar brush? Which synthetic brush is most like a boar brush? It wouldn't interest some testers, others it wouldn't. As I said, just a thought.

Oh, I understand it. There are enough people that aren't germophobic were it doesn't matter to me, and we aren't going to change their minds. I have read the threads. :)

DS Cosmetics Flat top, and other varieties of knots would interest a lot I think. But I don't want to burden @mightyeskimo with the task of compiling an entire new box to ship. Especially where he is looking for specific manufacturers of specific Knots to be donated.

Just as a reference point. How does the backbone compare to a boar? Such questions, and similar questions often occur in this forum. Replying that synth x1 compares to x2 and to x3 almost identically gives no framework for the tester to respond intelligibly. How/Is the s brush like a boar brush? Which synthetic brush is most like a boar brush? It wouldn't interest some testers, others it would.
It would seem then for them to make an intelligible reference then they would need to test more than 1 boar brush, because not all boars are created equal, right? In asking which boar brush they are comparing the synthetic to, you are assuming that they are a boar brush user, when I believe that in the last couple years I've been part of B&B, I believe badger brushes are more popular than boar so I would assume then that you would have to put in a couple of badger brushes also for comparison, right? Again I go back to this being a "synthetic" brush pass-around... What it consists of is the right content, just a little outdated...

This is something we could debate until the end of time and wildly off topic for this thread but the idea for the synthetic pass-around was for people to experience a synthetic brush since they were already using some form of real hair brush and was interested in trying out a synthetic. I also understand that the reason for all the different types of synthetic brushes in the box was to get an idea of what once was and what is today. I, personally think, we are past that point today since the choices we have for synthetics have grown ten fold and whats being offered in the box now is outdated at best...

I'd personally be down for donating a couple brushes to spice it up though!!

It would seem then for them to make an intelligible reference then they would need to test more than 1 boar brush, because not all boars are created equal, right? In asking which boar brush they are comparing the synthetic to, you are assuming that they are a boar brush user, when I believe that in the last couple years I've been part of B&B, I believe badger brushes are more popular than boar so I would assume then that you would have to put in a couple of badger brushes also for comparison, right? Again I go back to this being a "synthetic" brush pass-around... What it consists of is the right content, just a little outdated...

This is something we could debate until the end of time and wildly off topic for this thread but the idea for the synthetic pass-around was for people to experience a synthetic brush since they were already using some form of real hair brush and was interested in trying out a synthetic. I also understand that the reason for all the different types of synthetic brushes in the box was to get an idea of what once was and what is today. I, personally think, we are past that point today since the choices we have for synthetics have grown ten fold and whats being offered in the box now is outdated at best...

I'd personally be down for donating a couple brushes to spice it up though!!

You would need multiples of every type tested from that perspective. No two brushes are identical. SO you would need to test at minimum 3 of each type to determine if that is "normal" for that brush, preferable from different lots.

My recommendation was 1 boar and 1 badger. I am not assuming. I like boars, so my examples are from that perspective. If I was wanting to eliminate things I would ask if they were badger like. I just am assuming that not every recipient of the box has used decent examples of both.

Again, I recommended 1 of boar and 1 of badger. Start your boar, or badger since that seems to be your preference, pass around box and quit trying to make the OP do it :p

Yeah, The OP will either ask for my boar or not, but we can debate it endlessly 'til then

Your assuming they have tried a real hair brush, that is not a given, most likely, but not given.

Excellent to hear! My S-Brush will be going to him once the box is closer to shipping. The Nylon would be a historical novelty, but no real interest builder. :)

I was just saying the other day how curious I was to try synthetic brushes...last time I was active around here, synths were....not very highly looked upon. I would love to be added to the list, please and thank you!

1. Rudd4Prez - Santa Clarita, CA
2. Badlander13 - Silver Spring, MD
3. SilentTuba - Nutley, NJ

I was just saying the other day how curious I was to try synthetic brushes...last time I was active around here, synths were....not very highly looked upon. I would love to be added to the list, please and thank you!

Excellent! What's your city and state please?

4. bluesman 7 - Lafayette, CO

Hope it is OK that I just added myself to the list.

Whew! Just finished reading all 54 pages. I wanted to get a feel for what I had gotten myself into.

I was never very interested in brushes before. I've been very happy with my inexpensive Omega boar for the last 5 years. Tried a couple high end badgers via friends and they honestly didn't do a thing for me.

I've had a Body Shop synthetic for over 5 years that I used for travel. The best that I could say about that brush was that it was usable. Several people told me that the synthetics fibers were all pretty much the same so I just t stuck with the Body Shop brush for travel.

Recently I made an impulse buy of a plisson type brush mainly because it was bigger than the Body Shop and I figured that anything would probably be an improvement. I was blown away at how much I liked it. I've already got a Timberwolf knot in the mail as I want to experiment with lower loft heights.

Looking forward to participating in the pass around.

4. bluesman 7 - Lafayette, CO
5. dctravis -
6. Daikon -

Top Bottom