What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around

Just a quick update - I received the brushes on Monday and have spent most of the days checking both some of the new brushes and revisiting a couple of the brushes that I tried the first time around.

I decided to take a second round with the brushes for a few reasons. I am mostly a badger user these days and have sold off all of my synthetics other than the one that I like the most - a Stirling 24mm Tuxedo. (I just looked on the Stirling website to find a picture of it, but it appears to now be discontinued. :crying:)

But I want to see if there are other brushes that I like better so that I can buy one as a replacement/backup to the Tuxedo. Second I want to have a smaller synthetic brush for travel. I'm thinking of buying a smaller Maggard knot and putting it in a small handle. When I saw that the Maggard black and white and Timberwolf knots were in the box, I figured I'd check them out as well. Finally, I loved the feel of the Zenith 505AK handle so I thought I'd check it out again with the thought of perhaps buying a Manchurian with this handle.

Tuesday I checked out the new brush to the box that I'm most interested in - the Synbad. I really liked the performance of this one.

Wednesday, I went back to the Plisson, which was one of my top two knots from my first time with the box. It's less dense than I remember, but it felt great and it performed well as well.

On Thursday I used the Zenith brush again. I do like the handle, but the knot - not so much. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. I would consider buying this handle or a similar one (the 502) sometime in the future.

Yesterday, I went back to my Paladin (which I use 90% of the time when I'm not travelling) to finish off a puck of B&M Le Grand Chypre.

And for today, I decided to do the first of a few head-to-head shaves to put my current synth to the test. Up first was the APShaveCo. Synbad vs. the Stirling Tuxedo. Both performed well although they both were a little drippier than I like. They felt similar to my face, but the Synbad splayed more easily than the Stirling. I like the Synbad more, but I don't know that it was a difference that I would notice if I hadn't been using both of the brushes at the same time.

I'll check in periodically over the next week to let you know what else (if anything) I've learned.

Bob

Thanks for catching us up, it's nice to see after I've seen the brushes. Synbad is not bad, not bad at all

Today was another side-by-side shave-off. I used both the Maggard Black and White and my Stirling Tuxedo. I assume that the Black and White is the closest relative of my Stirling, so I thought it would be interesting. (I know that many people say that if the knots look the same, they are the same. However, while these two look similar, they are not exactly the same. I don't know if that means that they're different batches, or different knots, or what.)

In any event, the two brushes both performed well. My personal preference is for the Stirling for a few reasons. First, I like the Stirling handle shape better. Second, the Stirling appears to not be set quite as low as the Maggard. Therefore, I get a splay from the Stirling that I like better than the slightly more springy splay of the Maggard. Of course YMMV with both of these factors.

I'll probably run comparisons between the two Maggard brushes and between the winner of that shave-off and the Synbad. If I have time, I may also compare the L'Occitane Plisson and/or the Stirling Kong (my two favorites from the first round) against my preferred brush to see which, if any, I should consider buying.

Bob

One more update before I send the box of brushes on to @Animag771.

I've concentrated on the three brushes that were added to the box since my first turn with the various synths. I've also revisited my two favorite brushes from the first pass - the Kong and the Plisson.

So here's what I've come away with from this turn:

1) None of the three new brushes (SynBad, Maggard Timberwolf, Maggard Black & White) is significantly better than my Stirling Tuxedo. If I had to choose a favorite between the 4 brushes, I'd probably go with the Synbad followed by the Stirling, but that's really splitting hairs. I don't think you could go wrong with a brush that you like with any of these fibers. Needless to say, I don't think I need to rush out anytime soon to buy a new brush to replace the Stirling. I may buy a backup at some point, but that would purely be a FOMO-driven purchase in case something happens to the Stirling.

2) Likewise, it's hard to distinguish between the two Maggard knots. I liked the Timberwolf a little better than the B&W because it seemed to splay a little easier, but that could be because of the way the knots were set or batch variation as much as anything else. I will probably buy a 20mm Timberwolf and install it into an Omega Mixed Midget handle to use as a travel brush.

3) The one brush that I would consider buying is the Plisson, particularly since it seems that this version of knot has been discontinued. It's much less dense than the rest of my favorites and I really like the feel of it.

Bob

One more update before I send the box of brushes on to @Animag771.

I've concentrated on the three brushes that were added to the box since my first turn with the various synths. I've also revisited my two favorite brushes from the first pass - the Kong and the Plisson.

So here's what I've come away with from this turn:

1) None of the three new brushes (SynBad, Maggard Timberwolf, Maggard Black & White) is significantly better than my Stirling Tuxedo. If I had to choose a favorite between the 4 brushes, I'd probably go with the Synbad followed by the Stirling, but that's really splitting hairs. I don't think you could go wrong with a brush that you like with any of these fibers. Needless to say, I don't think I need to rush out anytime soon to buy a new brush to replace the Stirling. I may buy a backup at some point, but that would purely be a FOMO-driven purchase in case something happens to the Stirling.

2) Likewise, it's hard to distinguish between the two Maggard knots. I liked the Timberwolf a little better than the B&W because it seemed to splay a little easier, but that could be because of the way the knots were set or batch variation as much as anything else. I will probably buy a 20mm Timberwolf and install it into an Omega Mixed Midget handle to use as a travel brush.

3) The one brush that I would consider buying is the Plisson, particularly since it seems that this version of knot has been discontinued. It's much less dense than the rest of my favorites and I really like the feel of it.

Bob
That's very interesting Bob it seems like some similarities of my thoughts and experiences. It's really nice when somebody else can give their thoughts and experience, very good to know. Thanks

I appreciate all of the updates everyone has put in about these brushes. As someone who is still very new to wet shaving some of the terminology goes a little over my head. I don't think I'll be able to contribute much other than "ooh this one is soft" and "this one pricks my face a lot" lol. I'll try my best to do better than that though. I'm just thankful for the opportunity to try some brushes out without having to make purchases without much knowledge on the subject and cross my fingers, like I did with my EJ.

I appreciate all of the updates everyone has put in about these brushes. As someone who is still very new to wet shaving some of the terminology goes a little over my head. I don't think I'll be able to contribute much other than "ooh this one is soft" and "this one pricks my face a lot" lol. I'll try my best to do better than that though. I'm just thankful for the opportunity to try some brushes out without having to make purchases without much knowledge on the subject and cross my fingers, like I did with my EJ.

I still need a refresher on some of the terms used! Check out this thread
Scritchnscrub On Scritch, Scrub, Softness, Density, Backbone and Flow-through

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

No worries at all! Is that your regular rig in your profile pic?

No worries at all! Is that your regular rig in your profile pic?
Yeah that's mine in my profile pic... For now.

proxy.php

Got this in the mail today. Sadly I've been too busy working on the house to get a shave in today. I've got to work early in the morning so I'm going to just have to wait until I get off work to try one out.
They are organized by knot size and loft from smallest to largest. Any info on the pink one at the left? It's not labeled.

Yeah that's mine in my profile pic... For now.

proxy.php

Got this in the mail today. Sadly I've been too busy working on the house to get a shave in today. I've got to work early in the morning so I'm going to just have to wait until I get off work to try one out.
They are organized by knot size and loft from smallest to largest. Any info on the pink one at the left? It's not labeled.
That’s the APShaveCo SynBad.
Have fun - and don’t stress about what to write. Just tell us what you like and don’t like - there’s no right or wrong.

Thanks Bob. Now I don't have to call it "the pink one" anymore. Also, I'm sure you love the soap you use (what is that scent?), I'm unfortunately not a huge fan of the fragrance and my Proraso Red doesn't stand a chance at competing with it. What's the best way to take these brushed back to being fragrance free?

proxy.php

It was so hard to pick which one I should try first, so I just said "*expletive* it" and I'm just going to work my way from left to right. Today I used the Synbad and my poor little EJ Best doesn't hold a candle to it. Although sadly the only thing I have for comparison is the EJ. I'm sure as I move up the list I'll be able to distinguish things a bit better, but this was a night and day difference from what I'm used to.

What I liked:
So soft at the tips. Not a bit of scritch. Did I use that word right?
It held onto lots of soap without splaying and spilling all over the sides of my puck while loading.
It whipped up a very nice lather fairly quickly.
It realeased lather very well.
I like the slightly longer length of the handle, it kept a bit of lather off my hands.

What I didn't like:
Although I thought I would like the heavier handle, I really didn't. It made for a lot more work while bowl lathering.
This one seemed like it was more suited for painting lather on vs scrubbing it on, which is my preference.

Overall I really liked it, but the weight turned out to be the worst part for me. The painting thing is kind of a mid-way thing. You COULD scrub with this, but it felt like I had to force it if I tried. It does release lather well enough to paint it on very easily though... Something my EJ doesn't do too well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom