What's new

Synthetic Recommendation

Gents,

I’m looking for some advice on a new synthetic brush. Over the last 4 years, I’ve tried about a dozen brushes (mostly synthetic). So I think I have a good idea of what I want. Also, I’m not a guy who likes to “buy everything”. My current favorite brushes are Kent BLK8 (roughly 24x54 in silvertip) and Duke 3 (roughly 23x46 in best). They’re both great sized for me—splay and massage nicely. The Kent is wonderfully soft; the Duke isn’t soft enough to be perfect, but it's still a winner.

I recently bought a Trafalger T3, thinking that would be a great addition for travel and those times when I want a little break for badger or have a tricky soap. I thought getting the big size would do it for me, but unfortunately, it’s just not pleasing. My preferred way to use a brush is face lathering using mainly swirl strokes (splaying, not mashing). The T3 (measured at 30mm with my tape measure) is so dense that the inner bristles buckle/jerk/snap in use—akin to using my knuckles to massage my cheek or jaw bone. I used to think a Chubby 2 synth would be nice, but after the T3 experience, I’m guessing that one also is not for me. My alternate synthetic at the moment is a year old Muhle 23mm, but it’s always such a let down because it just seems too small. So I’m considering purchasing one of the following:
  • Muhle 25mm. I know they’re getting scarce, but I love the STF bristles and handle on on my 21 and 23mm copies. I wonder if this too will be too small as my “23mm” I measured at about 21mm.

• Duke 3 Synthetic. I think I read here it can feel smaller than a Duke 3 best? Maybe too small?

• Kent BLK8S. Maybe my best option?

• Thater Synthetic. Maybe another good option at 27x59mm?
Questions:

1) So any idea which synthetic I would like?

2) Do you think I would like a Chubby 2 super? Previously I had planned on adding one to the badger mix, but now I'm wondering if the density would be be over the top for me. I'm not a fan of "buy to try", but I may have to.

Thanks fellas.

If you like the fibre stay with Mühle. I have a 19mm for traveling that feel sparse and small but it works every time.
One that is also closer to natural bristles is the Yaqi Bali Beehive @24mm it even has a bit of scrub.
C652F897-6F5A-4F66-B9C1-86CEE65E9652.jpeg

This right here. I feel the same about the Trafalgar series. Some makers set their synthetic knots so low that they don’t splay well at all. I would go for something from AP Shave Co like a cashmere but they also have the new and pricey G5A and G5B. Email Andrew and he’ll work with you. I have several of his synthetics and they’re all great.
AP shave got some excellent synthetics with beautifully customised handles 👌

Many thanks for the replies, gents! I’ve decided to spring for the 25mm Muhle. I looked into the Omega Evo, but I suspect I’ll enjoy the Muhle better. The G5A knots sound really intriguing. Sounds like the makings of a sweet custom brush!

Ordered two today, friends of mine really enjoy this synthetic brush, the Mokasoft Beehive has more density which is very similar to the SynBad bulb synthetic knot than the original Yaqi 24mm moka express, they’ve told me is still very soft and not too springy.

As soon as it’s available in the U.K. I’ll buy it. An absolutely stunning brush.🥳👍
Hats off to you Razorock.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies, gents! I’ve decided to spring for the 25mm Muhle. I looked into the Omega Evo, but I suspect I’ll enjoy the Muhle better. The G5A knots sound really intriguing. Sounds like the makings of a sweet custom brush!
I have a G5A. It's incredible. It's basically a Muhle STF on steroids. I'm pretty sure it's the same fiber but more dense. I have both and couldn't tell the difference side by side. G5A has a shorter loft, too

Top Bottom