What's new

Synthetic Knots - replacement or disposible

Please don't get the wrong impression, I mean nothing pejorative about synthetics. (*edited for clarity)

Hi! We have been looking into offering synthetic knots for brushes.

I have gotten no where in trying to buy the knots alone. But with the current threads on synthetics they seem to be fulfilling a lower price point niche, which is awesome everybody wins.

Would those who use them agree - here today, replace the whole thing when you want ? and are they disposable in your mind or will you be looking to replace the knot in the future?

Thanks for your input! Kristin

Last edited:
I currently own 6 synthetic knot shaving brushes including 2 Plisson pour L'Occitane, 1 Plisson Access, a Parker, an Omega Hi-Perf and a Kent INF1 Infinity. In my opinion, badger brushes suffer in comparison and I wouldn't own one. I've owned several in the past and they all shed eventually. My last badger brush purchased from a good shop in Copenhagen finally died after 20 years of progressively worsening shedding. Now that decent synthetic knots are available I see no reason to ever again purchase an animal hair fiber brush. Synthetic fibers are superior in every aspect. High quality synthetic knots are apparently available and good custom brushes would be a welcome addition to the marketplace. But "disposable" isn't a word I would use to describe them.

Hi, thanks for your input! I hope I didn't annoy you with disposable. I should have said it better

Do you know where the knots are available without the handles? I searched and searched but to no avail. I would love a recommendation. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate your taking the time to help.

I tried a synthetic several months ago. I now have 5 of them and use them exclusively because they are better than badger/boar brushes in just about every way.

They lather better, feel better on the face, dry quickly, and not one of my synthetics has shed a single hair, er, fiber.

While synthetics can certainly be had for reasonable prices, a top of the line Plisson or Muhle can cost as much as a good silvertip badger. I certainly do not consider them "disposable," not even my $10 Omega Synthetic Boar.

Synthetic knots are sold by Whipped Dog and The Golden Nib. A quick eBay search also turned up several.

--Bob

Virginia Sheng carries limited sizes of synthetic knots on eBay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-arrival...732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a2f10a34 )
Also The Golden Nib offers synthetic knots in a range of sizes at reasonable cost, you might ask him where he gets his stuff. Even though he's more or less a competitor he's also a B&B Vendor Member. He does not offer any custom made brushes. Also you might want to touch bases with Rudy Vey, he's likely to know since he's now offering synthetic knot options on his custom brushes.

As sales of synthetic brushes have increased, methinks the brush manufacturers have been asking the fibre makers for volume discounts. The latest Omega additions have been at the lower end of the line. Just ordered an S-Brush for less than the TGN synthetic knot I put in my father's old Surrey (VDH) handle.

Synthetics do a good job given their price point. TGN sells some nylon knots that are pretty decent. I wouldn't call them disposable, but I've seen some get damaged with use of very hot water as they can melt and deform.

I was put off by synthetic about 25 years ago, when I bought an awful Omega Syntex.

About a year ago, I decided to give them another try, and I am absolutely hooked now! They have come a long way!

I hate to agree on the synthetics, but they are quite good. I bought a cheap VIG synthetic, expecting to hate it but wanting one for travel (they dry faster). Much to my surprise it was quite good all the way around. I still prefer a high-quality badger - the synthetics run out of lather more quickly than I'd like - but in that price range the synthetics are unbeatable. I wouldn't consider them disposable, but I'd cry a lot less at breaking/losing a Pur-Tech than I would for a Kent T12 or a Rooney Heritage. So yes, I would encourage you to carry them.

Awesome! Thank a bunch. I had tried TGN earlier and got a different answer but, it was a couple of months ago so things change. I had forgotten about Virginia - thanks for the reminder and Rudy excellent thanks!

As far as a competitor, I have "a rising tide raises all boats" life theory - which more plainly there's room for everyone and we are all in this together. I am also good with being Tonic Water :a54: to the giants who would rather be Coke or Pepsi.

What's your favorite now? Did you buy it in the Netherlands? Are you comfortable with sharing the brand? Thanks, K

btw - we use Epifanes a Netherlands company for wood finishing on boats.

There is no break in period with synthetics. The work the way they're gonna work right out of the box and don't blossom the way badger does. They generally feel softer on the face than silvertip badger though some have called them floppy. I like the way they paint lather on your face. Synthetics require really minimal or no maintenance. Rinse them out in warm water after use, give the brush a shake, wipe against a towel and hang up to dry. I routinely comb mine out before I leave the bathroom. Mine all look like new.

No break in on synthetics. They dry almost instantly - I shake my synthetics harder than I would ever shake a badger and that gets rid of 95% of the moisture. I don't feel any need to "baby" a synthetic like I do a badger, yet they all look like they did the day they arrived in the mail. They don't shed at all.

They feel great against the face, and best of all, they make outstanding lather out of just about any soap or cream. I have found that even soaps that have not worked for me in the past produce great lather with a synthetic. I think that I could whip up a decent lather out of a damp rock. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Top Bottom