What's new

Synthetic knots and brushes 15mm to 19mm --- where to get?

Where to get synthetic knots between 14mm and 19mm, or brushes with these knots that can be re-purposed to use in other brush handles?

I have an empty long narrow brush handle like some travel brushes. The open end is 22mm diameter but with an interior gradually narrowing interior like a cone although the exterior perimeter is a constant cylinder. A 20mm knot would fit within the opening but not extend very far inward to have much support from the sides. A smaller diameter knot would fit deeper into the coned opening, have more support from the sides, and less extreme splay.

Reviewing the archives of the past several years the most recent thread was more than 2 years ago and the suggested sources (Vigshaving, Oumo, Yaqi, etc) apparently no longer offer synthetic knots below 20mm. The suggested source MagiDeal on AliExpress does not list the synthetic knot size but a few years ago was mentioned on B&B as "18mm", so we'll see what's delivered. If it is greater than 18mm, my next try probably would be Omega Model 50068 18mm boar brush from Maggard's for 8.50 dollars. Although boar I would prefer synthetic and ordering a custom made knot at this point would not be wise without knowing the best diameter of knot for the conical opening.

Bass301

There’s the Maggard 18mm Timberwolf that @Vraad mentioned, Muhle makes a 19mm STF, and Boti on Aliexpress has knots starting at 18mm and available in 1mm increments. I was looking for as small a synthetic as I could find for a travel brush a few months ago, those were the options I was able to find.

edit to add: You can buy the Boti knots as just the knots only, the other 2 are just available as finished brushes AFAIK.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Where to get synthetic knots between 14mm and 19mm, or brushes with these knots that can be re-purposed to use in other brush handles?

I have an empty long narrow brush handle like some travel brushes. The open end is 22mm diameter but with an interior gradually narrowing interior like a cone although the exterior perimeter is a constant cylinder. A 20mm knot would fit within the opening but not extend very far inward to have much support from the sides. A smaller diameter knot would fit deeper into the coned opening, have more support from the sides, and less extreme splay.

Reviewing the archives of the past several years the most recent thread was more than 2 years ago and the suggested sources (Vigshaving, Oumo, Yaqi, etc) apparently no longer offer synthetic knots below 20mm. The suggested source MagiDeal on AliExpress does not list the synthetic knot size but a few years ago was mentioned on B&B as "18mm", so we'll see what's delivered. If it is greater than 18mm, my next try probably would be Omega Model 50068 18mm boar brush from Maggard's for 8.50 dollars. Although boar I would prefer synthetic and ordering a custom made knot at this point would not be wise without knowing the best diameter of knot for the conical opening.

Bass301
In my opinion, the Mühle 39K256 19mm STF brush is the best small synthetic brush out there.
20210724_204547~2.jpg

If @Rudy Vey can get the 19mm knot, I'd have him craft an appropriate handle and set the knot. :)

Top Bottom