What's new

Synthetic Knots All from China?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Synthetic brushes are made by all MFG's of brush's and a lot of them are made in house, a lot of knots are made in China also.
Plisson of France made a real good synthetic knot 5-6 years ago and sold a lot of them but the Chinese zeroed in their designs and maybe even improved some of it! I think Simpson makes their own synthetic knots inhouse brushes.
Quality synthetic brushes have really only been around for about 5-6 years from my observations, I Think Plisson of France started the march towards todays quality synthetics, some of the first synthetic brushes almost used nylon fish line, if you look closely a good synthetic brush has kinked hairs until 1/2 inch to the top of the brush to give it some backbone but soft tips.
Yaqi Timberwolf 24 mm brush (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Most synthetic knots are made in China. I think the Muhle STF knots are made somewhere in Europe. Not sure about Simpsons.

This would be for some long time in the future project. But I was wondering if they were all made in China.

Even if the knot is tied somewhere else, as @JWCowboy said the source of fibre will nearly always be China. Plisson has some European badger but even this could be more a species designation than one of origin.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Muehle STF knots are made by hand in Germany in the Muehle factory. They have (or had) a video on their site showing how they are made. In principle like their badger hair brushes, however they have some anti-static devices around their scales when the fibers are weighed.

Top Bottom