What's new

Synthetic Cuticule Thurngan?

Been here for a while guys. Based in Scotland,
This is my first post only been using a straight razor for about 6 months used DE for ages, i have honed 4 razors and refreshed a few in the last 2 month with good results, even some friends have commented how my edges have satisfied them, I still have a lot to learn. but enjoy honing.

I am working on a vintage restoration circa late 1800's heart emblem Ford( Pitchford).which i have cleaned,polished and re scaled, the honing thats a nightmare, but willl get there badly bevelled razor, one side toe heel taking bevel other side centre bevellling toe heel hardly developing. Working on trying to use 1" of stone for sorting, If that does not work thouhgt i could chamfer an edge full depth of stone but this will marginallly reduce hone width. Rolling x stroke on Nawina just wont present full edge of razor to stone Anyway its a totally different question, I want to ask.

I have asked on a face book group the same question
Where after synthetic progression should i change to coticule( red over and over on unicot and dilucote on Barts site). Or synthetic progression To Thurinigan, 4k,6k 8k or higher? Is there any mileage in going Synthetic to cuticule to Thurinigan to finnish? Or end up much the same shaving result one being smoother the other a bit more crisp?
I have 1,3,5,8.12k Nawina, and a 12 to 15k miniog welsh slate, just want to learn and try coticule and Thurigan edges. Many Thanks.John.

If you are using the coticule you can start after 1K using sets of dilutions to plain water. You can do the same after the 3K also. Or use it after your 8K as a plain finisher with water only.

With the thuri I'd go to the highest grit you have then finish with the thuri.

It it were me and I wanted to experience the best of these two edges and not knowing your stones / quality. I would run my razor(s) through a full synthetic progression finishing at the 12k synth. I would test shave with my blades to ensure the edge quality is good / very good. I would also look at the edge details with magnification and not where it was at.

After confirming the edge is good and taking notes on the striations left from the synthetic would I move to the Coti / Thuri. You can take the 12k edge and finish directly on the Thuri with plain water and then test shave. Determine if you like the edge better or worse than your synth. For the Coti you can also directly finish on water, but I would do so under a small running trickle of water to wash away any loose garnets. Finishing on very light pressure. Then again test shave to determine your edge quality and edge preferences.

Most thuris are quality finishers and may improve your synth edge, I know I prefer my thuri to synths. Not all Coti's are finishers, yours may or may not improve the edge quality. So some trial and error might be required. Hope this helps you.

"Is there any mileage in going Synthetic to cuticule to Thurinigan to finnish?"

Yes,

First natural stones cannot be grit rated, no one knows what the exact composition of your stone or what the grit size or what all the grit is. It is doubtful your Welsh slate is in the 12-15k range.

Most naturals are probably in the 6-8 grit equivalent range, (can produce a finish equal to a known grit) few a bit more. Technique also plays a large role in natural stone performance.

So, you may be going backwards in grit finish, going from 8 or 12k to a natural. You can, go from an 8 or 12k finish to a natural and see if it improves the edge and shave. Do one natural stone at a time.

I take edges to an 8-12k near mirror finish then go to a natural stone and use naturals as finishers only.

Charnley forest stones are fantastic finishers and should be available locally(huge bonus!). To me they feel like an ark but with the coticule "can't cut you" feel. I've been using a les latneuses coticule for everything and a Charnley forest finish(which isn't really needed) for lots of razors and the edges have been very nice. Dalmores have a wide range I hear, and Tam O'shanter stones will cut from a pretty wide range. I would put mine at covering everything from 1k-6k minimum,I haven't spent enough time on it but they're great. Llyn Idwals should be local too and they aren't all razor finishers I've *read*, mine is and it was a grease ball I got on an auction site. @cotedupy is a man of culture when it comes to UK stones and a gentleman who could probably give you a rundown on many rabbit holes to chase.

Been here for a while guys. Based in Scotland,
This is my first post only been using a straight razor for about 6 months used DE for ages, i have honed 4 razors and refreshed a few in the last 2 month with good results, even some friends have commented how my edges have satisfied them, I still have a lot to learn. but enjoy honing.

I am working on a vintage restoration circa late 1800's heart emblem Ford( Pitchford).which i have cleaned,polished and re scaled, the honing thats a nightmare, but willl get there badly bevelled razor, one side toe heel taking bevel other side centre bevellling toe heel hardly developing. Working on trying to use 1" of stone for sorting, If that does not work thouhgt i could chamfer an edge full depth of stone but this will marginallly reduce hone width. Rolling x stroke on Nawina just wont present full edge of razor to stone Anyway its a totally different question, I want to ask.

I have asked on a face book group the same question
Where after synthetic progression should i change to coticule( red over and over on unicot and dilucote on Barts site). Or synthetic progression To Thurinigan, 4k,6k 8k or higher? Is there any mileage in going Synthetic to cuticule to Thurinigan to finnish? Or end up much the same shaving result one being smoother the other a bit more crisp?
I have 1,3,5,8.12k Nawina, and a 12 to 15k miniog welsh slate, just want to learn and try coticule and Thurigan edges. Many Thanks.John.
If i have taken the edge all the way to a 12k or higher on a synthetic i have made a choice to have a synthetic edge. A coticule or some other natural finisher might smooth out the edge and add something, but you have a really fragile edge that might not handle it if you are not carful.
8k is the upper limit for me if i move to a natural stone like the coticule on water.
One exception might be if i am finishing with an Ark. I consider this more a post finisher that might add something to a 12k edge.

Top Bottom