What's new

Synthetic coticule. WIP

Your stone sounds much different from this one. My black acts like your average slate (More Yellow Lake, Less Thuri), and the White side is about the same softness as a Perforated "Hone Your Own", which is a very soft stone (harder than the #79 and Victory, but not by a ton) and much softer than even the softest thuri I've ever seen (which is the softest slate I've ever seen).

I've seen maybe a half dozen stones with this backing (I had a 7x1" version that I assumed was a coti and didn't use much before selling, years ago), and I've never seen them over 1/8". They seem to fall between 1/16" and 1/8". I think your stone is likely a different type.

I have had a couple of these. One I sold a while back as I was in a "I will only use naturals" phase. While I can't say the one I have left sees much use, I have tried it a few times for touch ups and have no complaints. I'd love to know exactly what the stone is made of.A few guys reviewed it over at R and S and I know all were impressed as well.

Thanks to add this here Gumbo....
For me no new news here, sorry......these synth Cotis are very fine and leave a very nice edge...

However great that you make the comparisons here Ian! This gives a bit more details on the performace in comparison to other stones....

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Thanks to add this here Gumbo....
For me no new news here, sorry......these synth Cotis are very fine and leave a very nice edge...

However great that you make the comparisons here Ian! This gives a bit more details on the performace in comparison to other stones....
So you think these are synthetic coticules?

Your stone sounds much different from this one. My black acts like your average slate (More Yellow Lake, Less Thuri), and the White side is about the same softness as a Perforated "Hone Your Own", which is a very soft stone (harder than the #79 and Victory, but not by a ton) and much softer than even the softest thuri I've ever seen (which is the softest slate I've ever seen).

I've seen maybe a half dozen stones with this backing (I had a 7x1" version that I assumed was a coti and didn't use much before selling, years ago), and I've never seen them over 1/8". They seem to fall between 1/16" and 1/8". I think your stone is likely a different type.

No my backing is like 1/8-3/16 right now but I have seen them around 1/4" thick when there is no wear present on the black and they all have the same vertical striations like lifted out of a mold and little brown spots all over them. They are all the same.

Ian have you ever used a Suehiro Rika 5k? That is one of my softest stones, just trying to relate the level of hardness (softness) you're describing. The Rika will start to slightly self-slurry with even weight of the razor honing. Just starts to tint the water a bit whitish (it's a white stone).

Ok, home now. 1471 (side shot) looks the same as this, but it's a side shot. It also has sawmarks... which suggest, but don't guarantee not a synth.

The wider stone in 1474 (corner pic) looks almost nothing like the slate on these. It's solid black (to my eyes), and definitely looks formed or very awkwardly lapped. These stones are far more blue, with patterning that stone lacks. That one, I agree, looks synth.
I would say absolutely these are two different types of backings.

The post of your's Dan quotes in 1476 (1465), again, looks like this slate, but it is only a side shot.

Also, the backside is quite nonporous and has a split that would be very unusual on a synthetic

I also slurried it just now, and it both smells like a slate, and the slurry appears under the scope unlike what I've seen from a synth, too much heavy vs light particulate, in my opinion. It doesn't look especially fine for a slate, but it's pretty regular (as I'd expect from a slate)... seems like it'd be functionally a pretty solid hone-slate; very abrasive-dense.

Attachments

• $20150114_223252(1)[1].jpg
    $20150114_223252(1)[1].jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
FunnyFunny, I just honed a razor tonight on my coticule's slate backing on a DMT slurry. Looks decent under the scope, shave test in the next day or two. Figured what the heck, it's there, might as well give it a go, lol.

David

Here's a few pics of the stone that Scott gifted me. (Thanks again Scott)
I haven't done anything with it yet, but I can say that it's much harder than the one Ian is reviewing.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 111
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 110
Alright, had a shave off my favorite Coti, and man am I enjoying being done with those barbers synths shaves.

There was definitely a little comfort edge with the coti, particularly post shave. There was minimal alcohol burn with the synths, but none with the coticule. Closeness from the coticule was actually a surprise. I'm reminded how much residual slurry dulling I live with off my typical quick-honed coticule edges, taking a nice slow progression on a very hard coticule really makes a difference. So I'm not going to say this synth outperforms all my coticules any longer. But it is in the middle of the pack, which for a synthetic, particularly of its era, is a huge accomplishment. I'll still say, I could use an edge off this stone daily, and be happy. It's a really nice stone, and absolutely outclasses all the other barbers synths I've used.

In the end what most impressed me was its ability to function under dilucot... it did this better than probably 75-90% of the coticules I've owned. If it weren't so obviously synthetic, it would pass as a really good coticule, except lacking very slightly in shave comfort. Sadly, as noted, it's apparent the stone would wear out quickly if used regularly with dilucot.

I'll probably take another shave off it early next week (playing with a Goku20k this week), and add it to my roundup thread based on that shave.

David

Nice Ian. Very good review. What is your favorite coti? Mind posting a pic?

Nice Ian. Very good review. What is your favorite coti? Mind posting a pic?

A pure slab I got about a year ago from a french seller and glued onto a stripped down vintage paddle strop. Very similar stone to the Old rock torrey paddle stone I've got. Insanely hard for a coticule; feels almost like an Arkansas.

Attachments

• $20150116_215858[1].jpg
    $20150116_215858[1].jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom