What's new

Synthetic coticule. WIP

Damn I wish. I almost didn't want to continue this thread because I'm worried it'll make it much harder for me to win one in the future... but I don't NEED one. I don't think it's going to compete with a jnat finish... but it's really just amazingly good for a vintage synthetic.

All the other good barbers synths I've used were good -for a barber's synth-. I always judge them against a VERY low bar for razor hones. This stone legitimately seems (thusfar) to blow natural coticules away. That's amazing to me. It's like a barbers synth actually lived up to the promises they printed on the box. I really am just stunned by how good this stone is, when almost universally vintage barbers synthetics range from horrible to barely passable.

I won't have it in a month from now.

I'm going to be shaving off that Jnat edge and that 13k edge as soon as I have enough growth to shave, just to confirm my standards haven't dropped that significantly after all the B-synth shaves I've been having. Tests say this stone is a hair duller than the 13k overall, but it seems to have a slightly more consistent finish; and certainly is far more comfortable than I recall the 13k being.

By the looks of the scope shots and the reflected light, the apex width is highest on this new stone compared to the other two.

13k Synth is slightly, but almost imperceptibly finer. The sharpness off this stone is really impressive, and it doesn't seem to wear down the edge the way some harder (particularly vintage synths and slow nats) stones do, also because it does seem so weighted towards polishing near the edge, while being much slower at polishing further back on the bevel (Similar to some of the images Alex was posting of work on slurried Jnats) it creates a similar effect on edge condition as the modern 13k as fast or faster, while removing far less material. It does this to a greater extent than I've noticed with coticules, so I expect it's probably due to the softness, or the different material which makes up the binder.

I'll note that the 13k shave was actually very comfortable, so either my face has toughened up from the barber's hone test, or my technique for using more hazardous edges has improved. I'm going to shave off my finest Coti next to see what difference in comfort it offers, though I really don't expect much, as I have no complaints about even the 13k shave.

In either case, the shave off this stone is very comparable to off the 13k. I'd say 30ish hours of good shave, probably ~12 of which are BBS. And since this stone is able to operate from such a low finish (1200DMT), I find it a very interesting stone. David offered to let me play with it a bit longer, so I'm going to have several shaves off it in the near future, as really, unlike most stones I "test" I don't feel like shaving off this stone is sacrificing anything. It's in the running to rank among my favorite stones. I'll still get around to shaving off its backing sooner or later, but that's very much on the back burner for the moment.

Last edited:
I have had a couple of these. One I sold a while back as I was in a "I will only use naturals" phase. While I can't say the one I have left sees much use, I have tried it a few times for touch ups and have no complaints. I'd love to know exactly what the stone is made of.A few guys reviewed it over at R and S and I know all were impressed as well.

I have had a couple of these. One I sold a while back as I was in a "I will only use naturals" phase. While I can't say the one I have left sees much use, I have tried it a few times for touch ups and have no complaints. I'd love to know exactly what the stone is made of.A few guys reviewed it over at R and S and I know all were impressed as well.

Add your pics in here please! :)

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've got another one of these coming that Scott generously gifted me. He said this one is very hard, so I'm curious to see how it compares to my softer one. I'll post pics when it arrives

I wonder if it was the intention, of whoever manufactured this, to look like a coticule in an effort to increase sales back in the day? With all the stones we've seen boxed, from different importing companies etc, it might make sense.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I'd say yes, especially with the poured stones (drawing a blank on the name) that have a yellow top and a Barney purple back to look like a natural combo. I do think the slate on these stones was intended for use, and not just as a backing, but I haven't done much with the slate.

Mine did at first too but after lapping it a couple times the kind of light dark swirls went away and its faster than slate as well. I really don't know but it reminds me of a black carbo that is used dry Matt sent me a while back. I didn't think to compare them.

Last edited:
I considered that it's not slate, but three things are saying it is. First, it feels to the touch and slurries exactly like 99.9% of slates I've used. Second, there is some subtle patterning that would be really unusual to see in a synthetic. Third, it's very, very, very thin. I've never seen a synthetic layer cut that thin, while David told me this was a bit dished, from how it slurries up, I really don't see it losing much depth over its life with that much of the very soft white side remaining. I more suspect the dish was either original to the slab from poor lapping at the manufacturer, and just followed and slightly increased when the side was honed on... or was from a relatively small amount of high pressure honing that would create it. I don't see razors creating much of a dish here. Similar to how it's very common to see awl, fish hook, etc gouges on beat up bbw's in combo coti's... I suspect the slate was more used as an alternative to honing on the white side (to prevent damage or wear from heavier tools), than as a supplementary hone.

Last edited:
The black is a significantly softer than the white and I have lapped a couple that were heavily used on the black side. I think they start around 1/4" thick from what I have seen.

Top Bottom