What's new

Synthetic coticule. WIP

I'll shave off it tomorrow. I honed on it today. So far I like it. Very similar to my SP's, but does look a slim hair finer than the 13k under the scope. A good bit slower, and definitely feels harder, more of a hard ceramic-stone quality to it. If the shave is good, I rather like it, but damn that cost is a big dissuader. It'll have to really distinguish itself from something like a Nani 10/12 or SP 10/13 to justify buying as a razor finisher, I expect. The one advantage is it's slightly more splash and go (a bit less absorbent) than the other stones in its grit range which I've tried. Of course since it's often compared to Jnats, I'll have to do a Jnat shave next.

Last edited:
Yeah I like mine a lot compared to other high grit synths I've tried. I think a very good JNat edge surpasses it a bit in smoothness but they are very close in my experience. The Suehiro is dead simple to use though. The cost is a bit high, but nothing compared to some natural stones. I got mine used so saved a good bit.

Here's a few pics of the stone that Scott gifted me. (Thanks again Scott)
I haven't done anything with it yet, but I can say that it's much harder than the one Ian is reviewing.

If it's a miracle stone I might have to have that one back. Think I paid $1 for it at a flea market in Nashville a few years ago.

Ok, I shaved off the Goku.
It's a good stone. As for feedback, ease of use, etc. It's really good. It's quite hard, consistent, and seems that it's probably a tiny bit finer than my 13k. I think they're rated 500nm vs 620 or 720nm... should be a noticeable difference, but really doesn't seem to matter in the shave for me.

I also don't really get the impression that it's significantly different from other extremely fine synthetics. The shave wasn't substantially different from a SP 10 or 13, Nani 10 or 12, etc. It's a nice stone, a little easier to use, less absorbent, etc. I could see people valuing it at where it's priced, but for me, I don't see a reason to drop 200-300% the price of so many similar stones on it, for razor finishing. For other tools where it's hardness and resistance to gouging may be more important, perhaps. Though I suspect Shapton GS would be a viable option if that's your concern, as well. Still, I've got nothing to say against the stone, but it didn't really distinguish itself in the shave from any other sub-micron particle size synthetic. I'd probably say 90-95% of razor honers looking at this stone would be served just as well buying a SP, Nani, or Shapton at a much lower cost. If you absolutely want the finest synthetic stone available, I guess it's between this and a Shap 30k, but you'd have to compare those side by side to really say which is finer, I'd probably just fall on the side of price there. I doubt I could tell the difference in a shave between either of those stones and my SP 13k. I'd rather save the $150-250. Still, I'm glad I got to try it.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Since I have a collection of these now I figured I'd toss up a few pics. The two narrow stones are both very hard stones and have a slick, glassy feedback. The wider stone that Ian reviewed is much softer and feels a lot like a thuri under the blade. The stone in the middle that Scott gifted me is a bit darker than the other two and is full of brown specks. The slate on all three stones appears to be the same.
I'm wondering if more than one company produced these stones?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 104
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 104
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 106
I've got a couple of these now. One large (Almost 8x3") of the hard, speckled variety. I've also got a smaller one. Similarly hard, but a rich butter color with some peach colored stains.

There are some label remnants on the smaller one (It also came with an additional bottom layer seperated from the top that has more of these remnants). The placement and makeup reminds me of Carborundum branded coticules.

Attachments

• $cotilabels.jpg
    $cotilabels.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 61
  • $carb.jpg
    $carb.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 60

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
An 8x3 of the hard speckled type would be pretty nice to have around! That's the largest size of these I've heard of.

I pulled it out to measure, and I exaggerated a bit. It's 7x2.5". But yeah, it's a nice stone, and it cost me plenty, so I'm sure you're not the only one who feels that way.

I have 3 stones from this kind and 1 on piecess .They are realy good . Edge looks like honed on Jnat - not the finest but like a level 4 akapin .
Very nice stones indeed . They drink watter like camel - they have speed on slurry and they are exelent , finishing stones . Shave is better than the most cotis ive had .
Scratch patern from them has some striations like coticule garnets , but most of the striations are fuzy , like a jnat slurry .
Maybe is a mix from coticule dust and other abrasive material

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A group portrait of my synthetic coticules. They run the boards of there fineness and what they can do.
The bottom two are the coarsest. The Jegs is similar to a fine Carborundum and it’s neighbor to the left is a soft, thirsty hone better suited for knifes.
The middle two have a resemblance is function to B-hones. Not too fine, not to coarse, not too thirsty. They give a sharp but toothy edge.
The top two are excellent examples of syn. Cotis. They both are hard and glassy. Feedback on both are the same, silky smooth with a slight sensation of abrasiveness. They can, with little effort, refresh a tugger to a keen, smooth state. Neither removes much steel. Seems to polish more than cut, not much swarf is released on the surface. If I did not have several outstanding finishers, either one of these could service my SR needs you a long time

AF54D13A-4422-4C1A-A670-CCB2474C65C3.jpeg
7AB052E0-8F26-46E2-809F-1B8EE4DFCF71.jpeg
E13B086E-61CA-492A-AEE6-DEF768C9EF8B.jpeg

JGES is its own thing. Top two are what this thread focuses on. Right middle is just a two sided synthetic barber “champion” maybe. Left middle possibly the same or a very fine JGES.
The only ones that fall in this camp (possible coti dust top glued to black stone bottoms) are the two you like.
Bottom left looks like the top of one of these, but that base looks much more modern.

still I’m guessing these were probably made for several years if not decades and went through some revisions. I haven’t encountered a bad one yet, but that’s not to say they aren’t out there. Maybe you got one there.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
The two middle and JEGS are made in the typical B-hone style. Dough layered in a mold and baked. Good hones but nowhere SR quality. The top and lower left are a bonded with the top “coticule” and the bottom tile are separate pieces. The lower left might be braking down. Just way to soft to enjoy while using. The top two are the stars of the show. A straight forward hone, little learning curve. They give up a edge equal if not slightly better than a Coticule. One thing strange that I noticed. Some SR fresh off one of the Syn get better after use. First pass might have a harsh feel, bet gets smother on the next pass. Maybe my sun baked skin strops as I shave. Anyone who want to add a Synthetic Coticule to there SR tool bag, could have a hone that will serve them well

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I always thought that a Trans Ark would be my desert island stone, until this Synthetic Coticule came along. It now is a race to to top. I only have a few synthetic finishers, including a large grouping of B-Hones, so the bar not high, but this easily blows everything away. Even leaves my other Syn Coti’s in the rear view mirror. Uber hard and glassy, dark specks mixed thru and a peachy coloration to the surface. I don’t get no feeling of grit, but gives a tugging razor a case of stichion in a dozen or two x-strokes without leaving any swarf behind. Repeated this several times with same results and get around 30 shaves before needed maintenance. It’s amazingly that something this good was made around the time the Sound Barrier was broke
DB437CAB-CEE3-4CA7-908E-EAC198FE3523.jpeg
B7C61C05-2908-4389-827B-6C9DEA7EB9B2.jpeg

I have one similar to the latest one, bought out of Ukraine. Hard and silky and appears to leave a very polished edge (have not tried to actually finish a razor on it), but it definitely raises swarf, and quickly. Absorbs water too.

It was cheap enough to gamble on, and if it does a good job of finishing, well worth it.

Nice, Yeah the Synth cotis are pretty impressive. The one I just got (red backed) is a tad below the half dozen I've had in the past (Including that 7x2.5" I still have) ; but still razor quality. Other than that one, I've gotten lucky I guess... most were high end Coti or near Thuri quality. As good or better than a typical coticule of their day.

I have never found any SR finishing hones in the wild.. I am still looking for a finisher for a good deal to get to be able to sharpen my own SR's someday.... Nice finds you guys have gotten..

Top Bottom