What's new

Synthetic brushes - what knot size?

Fine gents of B&B,

The synthetic brush I have been waiting on has finally come back in stock. My final decision is which size - 24 or 28mm.

I usually subscribe the the ‘bigger is better’ school of thought.

I’m pretty sold on buying my dad a 24mm brush and some soap for Father’s Day, but I’m a bit undecided for myself.

I currently have a 28mm proraso Pro boar and a 22mm Bluebeards revenge boar brush.

This will be my first synthetic.

So, what say you, B&B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi! I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. Just recently returned to for forums after being away for some time. From what I've read thus far, seems the recommendation is to go with a little larger knot as well as loft when it comes to synthetics.

I'm now awaiting delivery of a few goodies. Being unsure myself as to size, I checked some of the reviews and ordered both Razorocks Bruce and Big Bruce. They've gotten good reviews both here on B&B as well as other sites. In the event I'm not satisfied with them, which I doubt, it wasn't a huge purchase.

The biggest knots I have are 26mm (a RR Big Bruce) and 25mm (Omega Pro 49 boar), they are perfect for my face lathering. I think 28mm, depending on the splay, would be too big for me.

I don't want to confuse the Op, but since I have learned how to load the soap in my 18mm badger brush and I get 5 shaves out of it, then any brush size can work.

I'd go with 28mm. I like my Omega pro 10098 and it's 27mm knot, though with synthetic, might not translate well.

I know I’m in the minority here, but... I’ve got a 24mm Bruce, and it holds more than enough lather for me to do a 2.5 pass shave and my wife to shave her lady things (at the same time).

Unless you’re shaving André the Giant, I can’t imagine why you’d need more lather than that. :001_tongu

Just obtained both Bruce's on a recent purchase. Used the 22mm for the 2nd time today. I never thought a synthetic wold be this good. Easily loads enough for a 3-4 passes and probably then some. Very comfortable! May give Big Bruce a whirl before weeks end just to see what it's like. If the 24 were my only brush, I could happily live with only this one.

Just obtained both Bruce's on a recent purchase. Used the 22mm for the 2nd time today. I never thought a synthetic wold be this good. Easily loads enough for a 3-4 passes and probably then some. Very comfortable! May give Big Bruce a whirl before weeks end just to see what it's like. If the 24 were my only brush, I could happily live with only this one.

Glad things worked out!! My personal preference is 22-24 for face lathering.

I have synth brushes in both sizes, and my preference is for the 28mm. As others have said, as the costs of synthetics are so low, just get both! :)

If one size doesn't appeal to you, send it to me and I will see that it is properly disposed of.

Day three went well. May try Big Bruce tomorrow. Think I'm with BigJ on this one. I'm liking this 24mm thus far.

proxy.php

I went with the 28mm and the first run was great. Really happy with the purchase to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think 22-24mm is a perfect middle ground and the best size for most applications. Bigger then 24mm just seems to waste product, take longer to lather, and do you really need all that lather and coverage capability?

For example: my smallest brush I ever owned was an Omega 22mm short loft synth. Using that brush and any of my preferred soaps/creams (proraso, arko, paa, la toja, Palmolive, etc) I could whip up a fluffy, slick, protective lather that would give me a 3 pass face shave, 3 pass head shave, and still have some left over for my wife to use if she wanted. It took less then 2 mins ever time.

If you really prefer a big brush then get a big brush but my preference will always be smaller brushes. Go with what you are comfortable with, it always sucks to regret a purchase.

I'm still waiting for an omega synthetic Bambino or for razorock to do a 16-18mm synthetic Bruce. I frequently eye up the paa travel synth with the metal handle/tube.

22mm brushes are great for those with beards who only shave neck and check lines. I prefer 24mm for full face shaving, and 26mm for my head. I haven't tried a 28mm yet, but I've been considering one of the 28mm synbad knots.

Top Bottom