What's new

Synthetic Brush Splay woes....just start on the chin!

So one big thing I've never liked about synthetics is that they're a pain to splay initially when face-lathering, for me anyways. I recently saw a YT vid (can't remember the exact one to attach for reference) that said to start on the very tip of the chin, instead of the cheek, where I normally start. So today I tried this and oh my, total game-changer! I got my lather done in even less time than normal (which is fast anyways) but most importantly didn't have to fight with my brush and swear during the first 5 seconds of my shave. I highly suggest those of you with SSS (Synthetic Splay Syndrome) to try this, it is a most excellent of methods and makes the lathering process way more fast and enjoyable.

Chin is definitely the best place to start. The splay will differ depending on the synthetic and the loft that's set in but you can also add more water to make the splay a bit easier. When I first start splaying with the dry load, there's a ton of resistance. However, after couple drops of water, the resistance decreases and it gets easier to splay.

If I woulda known how many of you guys already knew this trick I would’ve just kept quiet!
I've been doing that since the early 1970s when I used my dad's first gen white "fishing line" synthetic and that was the only way it would splay. Regardless of the brush type, that's the way I've done it every shave since I started.

If I woulda known how many of you guys already knew this trick I would’ve just kept quiet! #facepalm
Starting on the chin is something that I've mentioned whenever someone says they can't get a synthetic brush to splay. For example, this thread from January. I kinda thought it was a standard practice from the old days. Apparently not! :001_smile

I've been doing that since the early 1970s when I used my dad's first gen white "fishing line" synthetic and that was the only way it would splay. Regardless of the brush type, that's the way I've done it every shave since I started.
That's also how I learned to splay a brush. When my Dad taught me to shave, he showed me a variety of his shaving gear. I chose a 1950s Victoria boar because it looked classy. Unfortunately, it was stiff as a board and the only way to splay it was to use my chin. After a few years of use, it became buttery soft -- but the memory of pressing what felt like a corn broom against my face is still with me!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If I woulda known how many of you guys already knew this trick I would’ve just kept quiet! #facepalm

I didn’t know. Stopped putting my brush to my face and just grabbing the glop from its saturated whiskers. This might help me. Either with my current brush or justifying a new brush purchase, so thanks!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Good advice which works with my Chubby 2 synthetic. I prefer rotational and mashing type strokes rather than back and forth painting style strokes and starting the splay on the point of the chin is the best way to get started. 👍
Hmmm i banished that little brick to the hinterlands but maybe ill give this trick a try.

Its funny that I've never had a splaying problem with any of my synthetics with the exception of the 1st gen Tuxedo and a Silksmoke from APShaveCo and they are long gone and moved on to other households. All others I've had basically splayed on demand from anywhere on my face or neck. Truth be told as I've learned from my last couple shaves I always start splaying my brush on my neck just below the jawline when I start to lather.

I have a goatee though, my chin is a no shave zone :( so muehle or ej I'm reading are best for synthetic splay... ?

Forgive my Necro of the thread,.as a vintage straight user, everything old is new again for me.

I have a goatee though, my chin is a no shave zone :( so muehle or ej I'm reading are best for synthetic splay... ?

Forgive my Necro of the thread,.as a vintage straight user, everything old is new again for me.
I have 3 TurnNShave synthetics that I set in custom handles and have never had a problem splaying them. Timberwolf fan, Quartermoon fan, and Angel fan.

For synthetic, I would get a muhle STF 25mm knot. (The 23 mm is a lot smaller if that’s what you like I have an EJ) I have one from AP shaveco(cobalt blue handle)… or Rudy Vey or muhle. It has a good balance of backbone and splay. For a cheaper one that splays easily try the Yaqi rainbow brush with the pony knot. A white cashmere type knot(PAA solar flare or AP shave co) is easy to splay and is soft but has the least backbone in the brushes I’ve listed. Keep in mind these don’t have a ton of backbone which is why they splay easier. I’ve tried quite a few and these work for me.

I’ve not tried the ones muzichead listed.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I would say.... of all the synths I've used, I like the Rudy STF, the Alpha Shaving G5"D" and the Omega Evo the best by far. My wife used the Alpha brush, I'm using the Rudy STF brush for my applying my pre-shaves now, and I passed on the Omega Evo to @Eric_75 . He seems to enjoy it, but you'll have to ask him about the specifics. I noticed, none of those three have the dreaded synth donut hole in the middle.

I use badger brushes for applying my soap lathers, except for DecemBOAR month, when I'll return to the Zenith boar brushes I kept just for that month. I've happily reduced my 23 brushes down to 7 badgers, 4 boars and 1 synth, not counting the one my wife is using.

Glad you figured out what you needed to do. I prefer bowl lathering because it's another step to a great shave. I really enjoy whipping up a great lather in a bowl and then swirling/painting that lather on my mug. It's all about...anticipation. Yeehaw!

Top Bottom